UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Monster 900 Headlight fairing belt covers

Old 30-11-2020, 12:32 AM   #16
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
Anyone got a headlight fairing for sale? Prefer the one with a small screen,but consider one without...
I got one with my 2001 S4 (identical to similar year M900s, so probably would fit earlier too), took it off immediately...

Seems to be ABS with a carbon effect; made by Motoplastic SA. It's got a tinted screen labelled Puig.

Quote:
Also looking for some cam belt covers for the 1998 900... will 600 fit?
You just need covers, or you want pretty ones?

I believe all the smaller displacement motors have shorter covers, so don't fit. The 1000DS might fit the 904 - but they've got a hole for the 2nd plug in the middle of the cover...

Pretty sure all the M900 covers are the same, if you overlook the colour, and whether or not they have little Elephants on them - I got some used extra stock ones, intending to dye them darker, but never got around to it.

Got a set of carbon ones somewhere that I never bothered fitting, too.
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Surprised that no-one has pointed out yet, that there are two different fairing shapes and mounting regimes and brackets.
The changeover would be around 1999/2000.

I can't remember how the earlier ones mount now, but the indicators do mount on the top yoke, via the two pairs of tapped holes facing forwards.

The later ones use those holes to mount the fairing, the indicators move to the headlamp brackets which also changed to have a bump on the top edge. Behind the bump is a grommet which the fairing hooks into. (I think that's the back of the indicator mount.)

So if you fit a later type, you will also (obviously) need the correct brackets and also the later type headlamp brackets and indicator mounts.
Old 30-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
the early ones have a pair of steel brackets

the late ones screw onto tabs at the top of the u-frame that supports the headlight and clip into rubbers on the indicator stems.
Either way, I cant see buzzer having much trouble fabricating something suitable.

Last edited by slob; 30-11-2020 at 12:36 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I found some pictures of my later type one. I can't say for sure if the ally brackets on mine are the original ones but they look factory made. They do fasten to the top yoke with a single bolt each. I can't see any tabs on the headlamp "U" that might be fairing mounts?
You can see the moulded hooks that engage on grommets inside the headlamp brackets on the back of the indicator mounting bolts.
I removed mine before ever riding it and discovered that it had been rubbing on the instrument binnacle and had rubbed off a couple of patches of the "soft coat", (since replaced).
That might indicate that the brackets were not standard? But something to look out for anyway.

If I remember correctly the early steel fairing brackets go on the yoke pinch bolts with little spacers?
Old 30-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #20
slob

Interesting, that’s slightly different to the ‘02 on models. Another unique feature of the 900ie.
Old 30-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #21
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

So there's three versions then?
Old 30-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #22
slob

I think the plastic may be the same but the little brackets are not required with the later u-frame/later top yoke.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
buzzer

Bike: M900
Thanks guys, I now have managed to get an early fairing... I need a pair of these brackets now if anyone has some, even bent or damaged ones would be useful....

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #24
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Thanks guys, I now have managed to get an early fairing... I need a pair of these brackets now if anyone has some, even bent or damaged ones would be useful....

They do come up often on ebay but can be one side more than often. When I was looking for some I nearly tried to get Big Oz to make some from alloy tube and plate as they are so heavy. If you can find some to copy knowing your skills I would make from alloy.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #25
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Brac...Cclp%3A2334524
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:50 PM   #26
spuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I found some pictures of my later type one. I can't say for sure if the ally brackets on mine are the original ones but they look factory made.
Odd - the fairings I removed from my 2000 900Sie and the 2001 S4 were identical to each other - and didn't look like that. Little triangle brackets held to the bottom edge of the fairing with two bolts, forked ends that slotted over the headlight mount/adjustment bolts.

Pretty sure the 900Sie one was original - bike even had factory mufflers on it, and they're usually the first things to go...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Odd - the fairings I removed from my 2000 900Sie and the 2001 S4 were identical to each other - and didn't look like that. Little triangle brackets held to the bottom edge of the fairing with two bolts, forked ends that slotted over the headlight mount/adjustment bolts.

Pretty sure the 900Sie one was original - bike even had factory mufflers on it, and they're usually the first things to go...
Interesting. Maybe mine isn't standard after all? Or possibly an early version which was not continued very long?
As mentioned it had rubbed on the clocks prior to my ownership, so the fit was not great!

I'll inspect Dacs' M1000Sie when I next see him.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #28
dacs

2005 M1000 fairing mount >>>>>>>>>>>

No bracketry at all, but the shape of the moulding looks just like Mr Gazza's late model fairing - has that one been modified to fit an earlier headlamp bracket? Mine screws directly to an ear at the top of the U-shaped main bracket.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for that Dacs.
It definitely looks like the same moulding and even the same hole that the bracket picks up on mine, as Rob described above.
Looks like my y2k model got the facelifted fairing, but the hoops with the lugs were not yet ready, so they made the "L" brackets as a stop gap. I'm sure it's all factory and not home brewed.
The fact that the L brackets seem to be a little too short, might reflect a bit of a hurry to get the Millennium model in the shops?
Old 04-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #30
dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The fact that the L brackets seem to be a little too short, might reflect a bit of a hurry to get the Millennium model in the shops?
or maybe it was a Friday and the bar had just opened