UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Rear Shocks

Old 12-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
rac3r

I emailed Maxton but they were unable to advise without having the bike there, which I can't do because it's bloody miles away.

Anyone know any places near London? Harris Performance can do setup but that's it I think.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #17
Flip

Bike: M900
What did you ask them exactly?

I’m surprised they weren’t able to advise you as they must have done loads of Showa forks for road use and the Desmo Due racers etc.

They’ve never needed to see the ones they’ve done for me (my Monster and 1965 Mach 1 race bike) before being able to advise on what they can do for them.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
rac3r

I asked for general advice, front or rear first etc. Basically the same as what I've written here. They said they'd not done an 'S2' before only an S4
Old 12-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
How far away is Stowmarket from you? MCT apparently do a ride in - ride out service so might be worth a chat...
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #20
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac3r View Post
I emailed Maxton but they were unable to advise without having the bike there, which I can't do because it's bloody miles away.

Anyone know any places near London? Harris Performance can do setup but that's it I think.
It does seem odd. They were able to chat about all kinds of things without seeing my bike, -though they did a few weeks later.

It could be that they only comment once they have worked on a particular model I suppose? If I were you I'd do two things...

1. Are the S2 forks unique to the model? I expect Neil a Cornerspeed would be able to confirm (or Moto Rapido etc) If these forks are fitted to another model bike, you could confirm that to Maxton and possibly they have worked on one of those already at some point?

2. Unless you spoke to Richard, I would call back and ask to speak with him directly. He will difinitely clear this up. Though perhaps you did speak to him already!

I will be curious for another update.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 12-12-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #21
Flip

What Jez said!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #22
rac3r

It was Richard that responded.

I could be wrong but I think the S2R has the same setup as the 620, 800 etc??? Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock

Unless the SSS means it uses a different shock?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #23
Flip

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure your bike would be fitted with Showa forks(?).
Old 13-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
rac3r

I think the S4R has Showa forks and the S2R has the Marzocchi forks like the other Monsters. Again could be wrong myself!
Old 13-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #25
stopintime

Quote:
I think the S4R has Showa forks and the S2R has the Marzocchi forks like the other Monsters. Again could be wrong myself!
You're right. (S2R1000 is Showa though)

The (almost) consensus is that these forks can't be helped. "Closed cartridge, maybe springs and oil". However, there is a handful of real experts who can transform them. If your guy isn't among them, he and you are better off with something else instead of blindly chasing solutions you will have to pay for.

If you go the cartridge route ... remember that the Marzocchis have slightly different fork cap threads. Even if the cartridges for "Showa" bikes otherwise fit, the caps might not.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #26
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
My 900ie has Showa inverted type, adjustable on 43mm stanchions. So if yours were like that, Maxton know them well.
Old 13-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #27
rac3r

As confirmed above mine are the non adjustable Mar****ty forks.

I think I'll try the shock first and work my way forwards. The forks seem more complicated and involved to sort out.

Is the Ohlins shock worth the £100 or so premium over the others? (Have to say I hate the fact it looks exactly the same as the stock Ducati one lol)
Old 13-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
As confirmed above mine are the non adjustable Mar****ty forks.

I think I'll try the shock first and work my way forwards. The forks seem more complicated and involved to sort out.

Is the Ohlins shock worth the £100 or so premium over the others? (Have to say I hate the fact it looks exactly the same as the stock Ducati one lol)
The owner of Mar****ty forks also owns Ohlins.
https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/15/for...ns-suspension/

All Ohlins products cost at least £100 imo more than their competitors at all levels. They are heavily marketed as the best so are priced above...

Ohlins are good, no doubt and I quite like the gold, but Nitron blue/torquoise is fine too.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #29
rac3r

Looks wise the Nitron shock looks better. I've actually found them both at almost the same price!

Shame that the shock doesn't have any 'Ohlins gold' like the forks
Old 13-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #30
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

The forks on the S2r800 are pretty special / unique to the model and all of the research I did suggested that the simplest way to improve them was to put them in the corner and replace them with something else.