UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Ducati let-down

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
griffs

Ducati let-down

I am gutted!

I have spent time and effort getting my 2002 monster ready for the road. It was imported from the USA in 2002 but not registered and left in a corner of a car park. So I spent time and effort getting it restored ready for the road. All I had to do was get it inspected and registered in my name.....

To cut a long story short, because of the time period, the customs papers are invalid, so I need to get a CoC from Ducati. Seems simple enough. I have checked the requirements for Europe, particularly NL. I either get the bike tested at an official test centre for another 650 Euro's or I show a CoC from Ducati. This will satisfy the registration department.

The requirements for typing in NL to EC 04/2002/24 are:

Headlight must have EC stamp
Exhaust must have EC stamp.
Tyres must have EC stamp
Side stand must have cut out
Exhaust must not be louder than 95 db
Emissions must be within EU specs.

Well the bike left the factory with all of the above stamps and requirement, except that the engine mapping is altered to take into account the higher controls in the USA. Therefore in my opinion, the bike exceeds the requirements for Europe so there shoud be no problem getting a certificate. Thats not what Ducati say.

But Ducatti in Italy inform me they do not provide CoC'S!!! How can this be when other manufacturers do. I am gutted.

I have already spent 1400 getting the bike roadworthy and I don't need the hassle of spending another 650 euro to have the bike tested - when it already has EU components fitted and emissions are better than most bikes.

I am really disapointed with Ducati and the fact that someone with some common sense can not help me.

What I am planning to do now is to chop up the bike for parts and see if I can recover my costs. A complete waste. It has only done 1700 miles and with the fork overhall and powdercoat it looks almost new!

I can't believe that Ducati do not issue CoC's when other companies do.

Gutted. Holland.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Trent

Sounds like they're fobbing you off.

Have you tried speaking to someone that has half a clue?

Give Craig at Moto Rapido (mention you're a member of UKMOC) a call to see if he / they can help. They have a vested interest in keeping customers happy.
http://www.motorapido.co.uk

I had a situation a few a years back when the Monsters were first fitted with immobilisers from the factory - my insurance company wanted a certificate to prove that the immobiliser had been professionally fitted!
I called Craig and he wrote a letter on Ducati letterhead stating that the immobiliser was fitted at the factory - the insurance company was happy with that - Craig did it for free and he now has a loyal customer.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Or are you a member of MOB or Ducati Club NL etc. ? perhaps someone there could talk to Ducati North Europe for you, probably much more efficient than Italy.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Dookbob

If you can't do it right, then do it wrong. Source a frame and registration document and play with the numbers.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Paivi

Another vote for contacting MotoRapido. A mate of mine bought a new bike through them but needed the CoC, which MR organised for him from Italy.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Pomp1

I spoke about this to Ducati head office a couple of years back for another member and IIRC I was told the request had to come from a dealer.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Ducmon

try getting in touch with Fugly. I think he had to do the same paperwork when he moved to Germany. I can remeber him saying it cost around about 50 Pounds.
Old 13-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
griffs

Guys,

Thanks I will contact Fugly and Moto. I also have another challenge out to Ducati North Europe with a email armed with EC codes and what I would call sensible reasoning.

Cheers
Old 15-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
griffs

I emailed with Craig, but he can't really help. He did suggest I contact Ducati USA as they originally imported the bike. Getting a black hole trying to get Ducati USA to repond tho.

Fugly also gave me some info, but no more than what I have tried.

I wonder if I can part ex an unregistered bike against another Ducati??? Or simply cut it up.

I was getting so excited to riding it :-(
Old 15-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Ducmon

How close are you top the German Border and do you know anybody in Germany.

I registered mine with out a coC in germany and it cost me for the complete check 130 €. I did have british registration papers though but the idiots did not have a clue. I Just had a workshop manual to tell them all of the information.
Old 15-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
griffs

Only an hour with a strong wind. But it still wouldn't work there. A CoC isn't needed if the bike is already registered in the EU. My problem is that it came from the USA, but it is allowed in without a CoC because of a loophole with personal goods. Unfortunately all the customs info is lost. And bike is still registered in another guys name. So I already paid 100 euro for a test, but they still need to see a CoC. I have NL customs also helping me to recover documents from a old database, but it is not in anyone's interest to go out of their way to help.

I am really disappointed that it isn't in Ducati's interest to help me. They have the power to do so, if only someone pragmatic would get involved.

If I could get a full spec of a 2002 USA import and also a full spec of a stock EU build then I could do all the legwork for Ducati and try and get someone to listen and help me.

When I grow up I am going to be a bureaucrat....
Old 15-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
stef

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffs View Post
Only an hour with a strong wind. But it still wouldn't work there. A CoC isn't needed if the bike is already registered in the EU. My problem is that it came from the USA, but it is allowed in without a CoC because of a loophole with personal goods. Unfortunately all the customs info is lost. And bike is still registered in another guys name. So I already paid 100 euro for a test, but they still need to see a CoC. I have NL customs also helping me to recover documents from a old database, but it is not in anyone's interest to go out of their way to help.

I am really disappointed that it isn't in Ducati's interest to help me. They have the power to do so, if only someone pragmatic would get involved.

If I could get a full spec of a 2002 USA import and also a full spec of a stock EU build then I could do all the legwork for Ducati and try and get someone to listen and help me.

When I grow up I am going to be a bureaucrat....

I was in a bit of a similar position when i brought my M900 (in a M600 frame) to France.
impossible to get it registered as a ducati because of the "unknown" type of the bike. ducati France would not recognise it, neither would the customs. The local ducati dealer and mechanics were happy with it though, but they dont make the rules.

only way would be to get it fully tested/inspected and registered as your own design/kit bike. if that's possible in your country.

i ended up selling mine in bits.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
griffs

I can get it tested, but at a cost of Euro.

For the test, I must have EC stamped headlights, EC stamped exhaust, 96 db klaxon, side stand cut-out, and EC stamped tyres.

All of the above were fitted as standard to the bike for US import, so see my dilemma. I am already EC standard. They are going to test something that is already standard. OK emission is different, but this exceeds EC.

The test will also manage noise. But as I have EC standard factory fitted exhausts, why bother.

I am so annoyed with Ducati for not spending any effort to look at this with some sensibility and reason.

I wouldn't mind if Ducati can give me a solid reason from a technical perspective why the bike doesn't conform, but they offer no explanation.

I have requested assistance from Ducati USA as they would have imported the bike originally, but another black hole.

I am considering telling my plight to readers newsletters in MSN and other magazines and tell Ducati this isn't looking good for their customer image.

Pissed off - Holland
Old 17-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Nottsbiker

Whilst I understand your anger and frustration look at it from their perspective. You have done something that they never intended to happen and now you want them to help you out at minimal cost to them but as they are a massive company who nerver / rarely deal with this situation are hitting a brick wall in terms of help and support.

I don't know what the testing system is where you are but here it would need an sva type test which I think would take several months to be processed.

Please don't think I'm being a smart-arse here but I don'tsee why you don't buy a frame that's already registered where you are and use that?
Old 17-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
griffs

Yep hitting a brick wall is a term I am familiar with.

My argument is.. Other manufacturers issue CoC's. Ducati do too and I am prepared to pay. But this is a European manufactured machine with enhanced emission, so it must conform to EU standards. I just want Ducati to get off the fence and give me a decent reason why not or provide a CoC. I am prepared to pay for this and I don't expect it for free.

It is possible to get a type test done within a few weeks, but at a cost of 650 Euro. As I said though, requirements are that the bike must have certain equipment with EC approval. And that is already fitted as standard. I just want Ducati to recognise that my standard equipment meets NL requirements for a type test.

I know you are not being a smart arse. If I found a frame, I would also need to get the registration document to go with it, which is not so straight forward. Then I would need to take the bike to the local test centre to get it registered in my name. It is worth exploring tho.

If Ducati would just look at the type requirements and then the equipment fitted as standard, they would see that the bike exceeds type requirements. Or if it doesn't, just explain why.