UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » New Bike... Check the licence plate!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
paul620sie

New Bike... Check the licence plate!

I've been riding my new bike (sorry its not a monster) for two weeks and only noticed the licence plate is wrong when i wheeled it out of the garage this afternoon!

The sales reciept, V5 and tax disc all say ???? VYH, the plate says ???? VYX. The dealer has apoligied and is sorting it tomorrow but lesson learnt.... check the number plate on your new bike before you get stopped.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Mand

what are they going to do? Just swap the number plates? Does the chassis number match up with your V5?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Melnie Mouse

and check the colour too of the bike incase of wrong V5
Old 07-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
A Yerbury

what the ????

I suppose an H could look like an X? although this way you need not bother with those speed camera things one hears so much about these days?

AleH.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
paul620sie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand
what are they going to do? Just swap the number plates? Does the chassis number match up with your V5?
Everything on the V5 matches (make model colour VIN etc) the bike just has the wrong plate. The dealer is suppling the right plate asap

My only concern is does someone have my number plate! are they winning me points on their incorrectly registered bike?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
tetol

i rode my ktm for 18 months before i noticed it had the wrong plate on it
Old 08-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
A Yerbury

plat du jour

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul620sie
Everything on the V5 matches (make model colour VIN etc) the bike just has the wrong plate. The dealer is suppling the right plate asap

My only concern is does someone have my number plate! are they winning me points on their incorrectly registered bike?

it is possible to worry oneself to death. I did work with a bloke that did this with all his vehicles, he changed the last digit, he was a cheeky monkey. The odds of somebody copying your number plate and doing a ghost rider are quite high I'd imagine..

Alex.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Chappers

I'd get the dealer to track down the owner (incorrect registration) just to get them to check their plate is correct - what a feck up ay?!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
what number is your bike reg on the insurance?

might be worth checking that, as they will do anything to wiggle out of paying if there is an accident........
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
jill

Hi Paul

And how is your new bike? Did you get the Triumph in the end?

Jill
Old 09-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
paul620sie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill
Hi Paul

And how is your new bike? Did you get the Triumph in the end?

Jill
Hi Jill,

Yep, i have a daytona 650, currently running it in (and being held up by a major DIY project at home). Its great, i was planning to post review after its first service.

Paul
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul620sie
Hi Jill,

Yep, i have a daytona 650, currently running it in (and being held up by a major DIY project at home). Its great, i was planning to post review after its first service.

Paul
Great to hear you're enjoying it.

Re: the number plate mix-up. I used to work at Ford and you would be amazed at the amount of number plate mix ups by the DVLA (or by the initial registration, or putting on the wrong plates etc). It really was very common indeed.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
bod

Yep I would 2nd that I work at a largeish garage and get at least one person after the new registration comes out complaining that the number plates don't match (sometimes even front to back)
And these must be the people that check this when picking up the car!
How many don't
.......Sounds of people twitching cutains/opening garage doors to check cars and bikes number plates against V5's