UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Service light monster 821

Old 21-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Maurizio245

Service light monster 821

hey guys,

just picked up my Monster 821 (few days ago) from the Ducati mechanic after the first service and the service light is always on.

Last night I had an issue with the bike while going at 65mph (heading home after work) as the red light (warning) came on and I experienced a sudden loss of power.

I believe that the service light in interfering with how the bike runs but I could be wrong.

I have the bike booked in to reset the ECU (next week)

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 21-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Service light has nothing to do with it. I’ve had one on the 1200 I’ve been riding for 700km.
I borrowed it with 450km on the clock and it came on at 1000km (600 miles). The factory mechanic who’s responsible for servicing (DRE) said don’t worry, oil was changed at 400km but the warning can’t be cancelled until it reaches 1000. Either you had your first service just before 600 miles or your dealer forgot to reset the counter.
Get the bike to your dealer and get them to plug in the DDS and sort whatever is causing the engine light/get you home mode.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Wildfire

You can't turn out the Service indicator unless you have the correct software, but it won't make any difference to the performance of the bike. If you have had a red light and power loss something else is up.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
BeePee

Bike: S2r
Red means STOP !
If you get a red indicator light don't mess around in case you cause severe damage, what was the light ?
Old 23-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Maurizio245

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Red means STOP !
If you get a red indicator light don't mess around in case you cause severe damage, what was the light ?
The light came on on Friday night for the very first time. I was going up to 60mph as it came on and the bike lost power. I stopped, waited a bit and turnee the bike back on and kept going without issues.

I took the bike this morning and no issues.
I'm booked in at Hyside Romford to have the service light removed so I'll ask for the latest ECU software as well.

So far I've done about 6k on the bike and it just got fully serviced. New chain and sprockets (both) , new tyres, new rear brake pump as well.

I have a problem with the electrics due to the previous owner fiddling with the ignition switch (it's a different one now compared to the original one) so my Speedo can't read the mileage on the bike so I am getting it from the trip section.
Old 23-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Is there any software available to reset the error codes on the new bikes? Will tuneecu work?
Old 23-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
JPDiag website will help you, I don't know which ecu you have though.

Also, you'll need a lead ...https://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?...&product_id=83
Old 23-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
BobT

Nothing out there to reset the service light on the latest M821 nor the Supersport. Both have the same ECU. I have the lead, but it is no use. I own the Supersport and the wife the M821.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Maurizio245

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
Nothing out there to reset the service light on the latest M821 nor the Supersport. Both have the same ECU. I have the lead, but it is no use. I own the Supersport and the wife the M821.
Turns out that due to the tinkering with the electric wiring (fancy ignition switch) from the previous owner, Ducati is unable to read my ECU at all.

They recommend to change the wiring loom all together while I personally believe that putting the ignition back to its original place should be just fine.

The service light is still there at the moment.

The issue I've experienced in the beginning though with the red light flashing (only once) have never reappeared and the mechanic can't find anything wrong with the bike.