UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » evo1100 OR m1100

Old 09-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
vince53

Bike: M1100s
evo1100 OR m1100

evo1100 or m1100 what's the difference ? I know dry clutch and twin spark but are there any advantages and disadvantages with engine's ? im sure someone out there knows what's best ? many thanks guys in advance vince
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
There are probably more similarities than differences between the Evo and the S.

While the S has high level exhausts editing on the left and right, the Evo has a twin shotgun silencer on the right.

On the Evo there are separate rider and pillion pegs. The silencer attaches to the pillion peg and the pillion pegs bolt to the subframe so you can ditch the pillion pegs for a cleaner look (and use an exhaust hanger).

On the S, the rider and pillion pegs are combined. The rear subframes on the Evo and S look the same but have different part numbers, probably because of the pillion mounting holes, so you couldn't just swap the (pillion) footrests over although I believe the Evo's rider pegs will fit the S.

As an Evo owner it pains me to say it but, in standard trim, I think the S is probably the better bike; the S comes with Öhlins front and rear while the Evo's suspension is basic to say the least.

The Evo has a reputation for poor low speed running, something that is much less noticeable on the S - the S has slightly milder cam timing, lower compression and a heavier flywheel, plus the twin spark ignition, which is probably what makes it nicer at low speeds.

The supposed 5hp advantage of the Evo is not noticeable on the road.

Other differences? Well, the Evo has a wet clutch while the S's is dry. Also, the handlebars are about 20mm higher on the Evo, which I prefer. Finally, the Evo has traction control, which is not present on the S. Both models can come with ABS (standard on the Evo and an option on the S from 2010).

If possible, try to ride an example of each and see which one floats your boat. It's a case of you pays your money and you takes your choice. Whichever one you go for, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I've got my Evo exactly how I want it now, (although the suspension and wheels from the S would be nice!)
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
M1100 Sachs/Showa suspension
M1100s Ohlins
M1100evo Sachs/Marzocchi

evo makes fractionally more power

... Doh! too slow, and a far less complete answer

Last edited by slob; 09-12-2018 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: beaten to it
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
... Doh! too slow, and a far less complete answer
Only because I recycled my answer from an earlier thread!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
As said above, but to add my twopenneth.

The one thing I miss on my Evo is the dry clutch, just love that rattle.

Suspension, yes the Evo has very budget suspension, but can easly be made better than the over the shelf Ohlins.

Termi’s (other brands available) along with Rexxerr flashed ECU cures the low running issues completely.

Traction control and abs is a great feature when the weather and roads get wet and cold.

All in all these are what made me get an Evo instead of the 1100S.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

I have owned my Evo for 5 years. I am strictly a fair-weather 'recreational' rider as opposed to a hardy all-year-rounder.

I haven't ridden an 1100S but the same DS engine is fitted to my Sport Classic.

Looks - I prefer the low, one sided exhaust of the Evo although the standard is ugly & heavy and I replaced it with a Remus Hypercone.

Performance - certainly enough for me (owned an '04 S4R previously) but the low-revs running is shocking, whereas the DS engine is creamy smooth from low revs (although it does have the DP ecu & Termi set-up).

Handling- properly set up to suit the rider, the standard suspension is fine for me although, if I am honest, the SC fitted with Ohlins front & rear feels more stable & planted but that could be due to the more extreme riding position. In all honesty, whilst better suspension would be desirable, I couldn't really justify the significant outlay (like giving a pig a strawberry springs to mind) for my level of riding.

To conclude: the 'standard-out-of-the-box' 1100S is probably superior to the 'standard-out-of-the-box' Evo.

But, as owners have said, get the ecu reflashed (absolutely essential IMHO) & maybe uprated suspension, the Evo could be a better bike - it depends on how much you are willing and able to spend. You can also get a later Evo than 1100S (up to 2013) if that matters to you.

Possibly a 1100S/ Evo hybrid as some have on here, taking the best from each bike would probably be ideal. Why didn't Ducati think of that????? They never offered an Evo S

Last edited by bigredduke; 09-12-2018 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: add
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

I rode both back to back the gain in evo power has sacrificed low down torque. The gain in engine refinement and smoothness sacrificed what 2v is about. Instant torque reaction.

It was a nice evolution but if you ask me in wrong direction 2v will never be top end engine why bother.

1100s all the way from me and as mentioned dry clutch rocks.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
vince53

Big thanks guys as usual a great response and good in depth knowledge to help me , some great food for thought and help me make a informed choice , just wish I had some more penny's for buying …. * ) thx again vince .
Old 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
crawsue
Bronze Member

Hi Vince, I opted for an Evo (2013, 10k miles) a year ago, chopped in a sweet little 696 for it.
Immediately realised that the slow running was a real issue and after a few miles the suspension was "harsh" on UK roads.
But today I picked it up from North Cycles (Leith) who did the 15 k service , belt change and valve shim.
While it was dismantled I sent the ECU to Neil for the reflash, I had already junked the exhaust valve and Lambdas and fitted a Remus Hypercone. Bike is now rideable in congested city traffic and pulls like a train.
I bought uprated non-progressive springs (Ohlins for the Sachs shock and K-tech for the forks)from a forum member and the difference to the ride was immediately improved, I got the sag done for my weight during the service.
This is how the bike should have been "out of the crate".....cost (without the service) so far around £700.
PS ,for any Duc owner in Central Scotland , North Cycles ( Tyler Lunceford, yes, Tyler !!!) is the business, proper hands on Ducati man with years of experience in New York, thorough service at competitive prices.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If I were looking to buy either then the 1100S would probably win me over. I prefer the twin high level pipes but also in terms of value the 1100S has Ohlins as standard which would add 2-3K to the price of an Evo if you were to go that route. I've not ridden either but as others have said the 1100S motor is peachy and the Evo is a pig to set up and modify to get good running.

Its a no brainer for me I'm afraid.

The only downside is that there probably aren't as many S's out there as Evos and if you do find a nice S its probably gonna be the same price or more than the Evo for an older bike.

Upside is it may hold better value in the long term because there are fewer around and its an S etc, etc.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
vince53

Thanks again guys well iv gone and done it !! it was a 1100s seems to go very well , quite noisy clutch but might be as iv got used to the s2 wet clutch for the last 6 months as from the old m900 , all seems quiet when pull it in so hopefully all good , only got 11500 on the clock so should be good for a while , had the first proper ride today doesn't seem to have the engine breaking like the old 900 but when its on song man it goes !! would like to maybe bring the back end down a bit but no problems with the set up just a bit high , feeling very spoilt but have saved a long time and it will be my only bike , just got to sell the S2r 800 now , anyway thanks again guys will try and post up some pic's soon if I can work out how to lol * )
Old 14-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
would like to maybe bring the back end down a bit but no problems with the set up just a bit high , feeling very spoilt but have saved a long time and it will be my only bike , just got to sell the S2r 800 now , anyway thanks again guys will try and post up some pic's soon if I can work out how to lol * )

May I make a suggestion in that you make sure you bring "Both" ends down by the same amount or it will adversely effect the handling.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, I don't know about the new shape monsters but the old ones were noted for their rear bias and needed raising up to get the handling sweet. I sorted mine with a SBK 999 link rod which raised the rear end. If the new ones are the same then that's good advice as otherwise they can get a bit vague on the front when pushing on through the curves and can run wide and generally not so good.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well done Vince.... Congratulations.

To post a picture go to https://postimages.org/
Select re-size to 640x480 (for message boards)
Download your image.
When it's done that and changed the page, scroll down to "hotlink for forums".
Copy that line and paste into your post.
Old 14-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
Thanks again guys well iv gone and done it !!
Finally, the hunt is over! Congratulations and enjoy.

Any mods planned yet?