UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » M750 '98 replacement headlight

Old 26-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You need the Cibie with the pilot light hole as in Darknesses link to Larkspeed.
Larkspeed are the cheapest for the Cibie and as it happens I had another go at ordering one last night .Today I get a message to ask if I realised the delivery date was January. Oh well it's paid for now and January will soon be here.
(Tip; cheaper from larkspeed via Ebay than from Larkspeed direct.)

Thanks for your order for an adapter Jake it will be on it's way ASAP.

Dacs.. We will have to compare the Cibie and Autopal side by side one day (Or night!).. And thanks for the kind words.
Old 27-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Any suggestions for easily replacing the appalling headlight on the 'newer' monsters (1100 Evo)?

I have only ridden once after dark and once was more than enough. Dip is dismal & main beam just lights up the front mudguard a little more. 45mph max on country roads that I know well.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #18
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
If you look on the "snow tyre" thread there's a pic that Luddite posted that shows a lovely round head light, now all it needs is a group of us to get together and make the idea work.
I know that Jan "MOB" installed an old style round monster head light on his 1100s but the one in the recent post looks so much neater.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Yes, looks good but I would want to know it definitely performs much better than the stock item before starting a conversion!
Old 27-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
jakefh

Thanks everybody.

I've ordered from ebay, so looks like I'll be waiting until Jan too :-)

I'm also looking forward to using Mr Gazza's
jakefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #21
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Any suggestions for easily replacing the appalling headlight on the 'newer' monsters (1100 Evo)?

I have only ridden once after dark and once was more than enough. Dip is dismal & main beam just lights up the front mudguard a little more. 45mph max on country roads that I know well.
Fingerpuk's carried out a nice conversion recently, fitting a traditional (i.e. Not LED) Motodemic unit.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ight=motodemic

It certainly looks the part but I don't think the bike's been on the road since the conversion so he won't be able to tell you how effective it is.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Thanks for the link. Conversion looks classy but it should for over £400! I need to have a bit of a think before I spend that kind of money. I am a Yorkshireman after all.
Old 28-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Surely it's not beyond the wit of Man to make something to pick up a pair of standard early Monster brackets?
The original "hoop" or "horseshoe" mounting is a little over engineered perhaps, and has some pretty specific mounting points, but there must be something on those yokes that could be picked up to hang some headlamp lugs on?

The original Monster headlamp is the best shape for a Monster in my opinion and will be a reasonable price second hand from some obliging member on here.. Probably complete with brackets!
It should be fairly well known by now that we can get any 7" unit into these to good effect. Or simple just cut to the chase and mount a 7" shell in the first place.
Old 28-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #24
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Surely it's not beyond the wit of Man to make something to pick up a pair of standard early Monster brackets?
The original "hoop" or "horseshoe" mounting is a little over engineered perhaps, and has some pretty specific mounting points, but there must be something on those yokes that could be picked up to hang some headlamp lugs on?

The original Monster headlamp is the best shape for a Monster in my opinion and will be a reasonable price second hand from some obliging member on here.. Probably complete with brackets!
It should be fairly well known by now that we can get any 7" unit into these to good effect. Or simple just cut to the chase and mount a 7" shell in the first place.
Agreed, it should be possible to modify the U bracket to fit the later yokes or make an equivalent. Looking at the 696 fische on Stein Dinse, on the top yoke there are options of extending the handlebar mounting bolts downwards, or using the threaded holes on the underside that the later style headlight fixes to, and there are a pair of slotted ears on the bottom yoke, albeit further back in than the early fixing.
Old 28-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #25
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Agreed, it should be possible to modify the U bracket to fit the later yokes or make an equivalent. Looking at the 696 fische on Stein Dinse, on the top yoke there are options of extending the handlebar mounting bolts downwards, or using the threaded holes on the underside that the later style headlight fixes to, and there are a pair of slotted ears on the bottom yoke, albeit further back in than the early fixing.
Well there you go. If there are two potential mounts top and bottom then it shouldn't take too long to farge up some brackets to mount an original Horseshoe and then a Monster headlamp with a Gazza converter.
Using an original Horseshoe would retain the rubber mounting too, and possibly utilise the brake hose clamps?
Two evening's work and less than a hundred quid I reckon...
Old 10-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I got a lovely surprise this morning when a mystery parcel arrived.
Yes. My Cibie H180 , which was on back order and not expected till January at the earliest.

So heads up to all those interested in these units. They're back in stock at Larkspeed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-CIBIE...MAAOxyuCJRfeak

I've never had one in my hand till now and it looks very promising.
The reflector is a perfect smooth parabola and not faceted at all. The lens has some very crisp refracting patterns.
Strangely the bulb socket for the H4 is slightly on the squiff. I assume this is to concentrate light to the nearside on dip? But it will probably do the same to the high beam to the offside.. Curious!
A full test will follow as soon as possible. I also have a next generation LED "bulb" to try, with 4 large LEDs and a cooling fan. A feature is that the dip and main LEDs are on at the same time, the main extinguishes when dipped.
I was going to try and wire in this feature on the bike to give the main beam more power and infill, but now I don't have to...

Heads up to Yellowfever also.. I see that the Cibie is made in Belgium, so there should be a good chance of getting a right-hand dip version locally.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I got a lovely surprise this morning when a mystery parcel arrived.
Yes. My Cibie H180 , which was on back order and not expected till January at the earliest.

So heads up to all those interested in these units. They're back in stock at Larkspeed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-CIBIE...MAAOxyuCJRfeak

I've never had one in my hand till now and it looks very promising.
The reflector is a perfect smooth parabola and not faceted at all. The lens has some very crisp refracting patterns.
Strangely the bulb socket for the H4 is slightly on the squiff. I assume this is to concentrate light to the nearside on dip? But it will probably do the same to the high beam to the offside.. Curious!
A full test will follow as soon as possible. I also have a next generation LED "bulb" to try, with 4 large LEDs and a cooling fan. A feature is that the dip and main LEDs are on at the same time, the main extinguishes when dipped.
I was going to try and wire in this feature on the bike to give the main beam more power and infill, but now I don't have to...

Heads up to Yellowfever also.. I see that the Cibie is made in Belgium, so there should be a good chance of getting a right-hand dip version locally.
I look forward to your review after fitting.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #28
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Thanks for the heads up Gazza, I too await the full review with keen interest!
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

A busy evening with far too much to do, but I couldn't resist popping one of my new LEDs into the new Cibie and plugging into the bike.

Swapping from the last generation LED bulb in the Autopal clear crystal unit and the new generation LED in the Cibie, there is a very clear difference in general light output and colour. The Cibie is putting out a good deal more white light that the former.
Whether this is down to the bulb or the unit I don't know, and how good the beam pattern is, is yet to be seen. very difficult to say in the workshop with the lights on, but there is definitely a brighter light and more of it, coming out of the new set-up.

Besides which the Cibie just looks like a quality piece of kit. Well made and good fittings.