UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Fitting a silencer - M1200

Old 16-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
The Bike Dork

Fitting a silencer - M1200

Hi guys,

I've just ordered a 2017 monster 1200 and I'm going to get a new pipe for it, probably a Remus.

They look easy to fit - is that the case? Thinking of doing it myself.

Cheers, Alex.
Old 16-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
What remus is it? I've fitted a hypercone but too an 1100 evo. It's very straightforward, theres a t-clamp that holds the link pipe and end can on. the new remus will come in two parts just fit the new link pipe to the end can with the provided springs (spring puller would be handy). Then connect to main pipe using t-clamp.

Only tricky bit is getting everything lined up with the pillion footpeg so you can bolt it down you might need to play about a little bit. But nothing big.

All in No more than ten minutes to fit.

If it is the hypercone you'll be very very happy with the sound…if a tad loud.

Last edited by Ron1000; 16-04-2017 at 08:48 PM..
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
SteveG

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Fitted an SC projects to my 1200R, I'd describe my mechanical prowess as generally ham-fisted.. but this really was dead easy. ..undo the existing clamp ( a jubilee type on the pipe joint and the one bolt mounting original to footrest hanger) line up the new link pipe and hand tighten the bolts before fitting the tension springs -that's the hardest bit, I also used a spring puller. Then tighten up the jubilee type exhaust clamp & the Allen bolt mounting it to the footrest hanger. Job done. Also about 10 mins work. Check the bolts are tight again after the next ride out. Enjoy!

Last edited by SteveG; 16-04-2017 at 09:28 PM..
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
The Bike Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
If it is the hypercone you'll be very very happy with the sound…if a tad loud.
Yeah it's the hypercone - are we talking neighbour bothering loud??
Old 16-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
The Bike Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Fitted an SC projects to my 1200R, I'd describe my mechanical prowess as generally ham-fisted.. but this really was dead easy. ..undo the existing clamp ( a jubilee type on the pipe joint and the one bolt mounting original to footrest hanger) line up the new link pipe and hand tighten the bolts before fitting the tension springs -that's the hardest bit, I also used a spring puller. Then tighten up the jubilee type exhaust clamp & the Allen bolt mounting it to the footrest hanger. Job done. Also about 10 mins work. Check the bolts are tight again after the next ride out. Enjoy!
Which sc project? Single pipe? Happy with it?

Spring puller will be ordered!
Old 16-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
SteveG

This SC carbon one.. very happy with it. Yes.. on the loud side but not as loud as my M900 twin Termi's... SC can be tamed with the easily removable baffle. [IMG][/IMG]
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
We are talking four houses of neighbor bothering loud. So bonus. I push my bike to the entrance to our street then start it. My wife can still hear it with windows closed.

But you'll love it. Honest.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

1200R - fitted an Arrow can, took all of ten minutes. Noise is good without p*ssing off the neighbours, I've left the db killer in but "fine tuned" it a little to enhance the sound.

Arrow cans are nicely made and a bit of a bargain - I paid about £400 but hunt around on eBay, I've since seen them for about £360 depending on ally or carbon etc.

Last edited by Pedro; 17-04-2017 at 07:32 AM..
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
The Bike Dork

Like the sound of something a bit quieter. Can size is related to noise from the looks of it - I like the look of the sc project gp twin. Looks like the termis and still half the price.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
The Bike Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
(spring puller would be handy).
This was a brilliant shout! Fitted the link pipe to the can today (bike arrives Friday) and it would have been impossible without a spring puller!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
The Bike Dork

Fitting was mostly easy but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to line up like this!