UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello

Old 16-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
2scoops

Hello

Hi All,

I've just joined the forum, coming to biking at the age of 43 with my two wheeled motorised fun being an 80cc moto cross bike in the field when I was a kid and scooters on holiday.

I have always fancied a monster and its now top of my shortlist for my first proper bike.

I am considering a 1078cc and was wondering if this would a good place to start or should I opt for a smaller engined version first?

Also did the later EVO version offer a significant improvement over the older bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2scoops
Old 16-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Welcome 2scoops, I belive there is a Monster 1100 Evo for sale on here at the moment, and of course the Evo is the best Monster out there

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54430

Last edited by chris.p; 16-10-2016 at 04:09 PM..
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Hi and welcome.

Like Chris, I've got an 1100 Evo and can enthusiastically recommend them. The previous 1100 is also a great bike.

The old 1100 came in base and blinged-up "S" model with Öhlins suspension, lightweight wheels and various carbon bits.

Differences between 1100 and Evo? Well, there's the obvious over & under shotgun exhausts on the Evo. The Evo engine is in a slightly higher state of tune, giving a claimed 100 HP against the old bike's 95 HP, although I can't feel the difference on the road.

Having said that, I reckon the old 1100 arguably has the sweeter motor, being smoother running than the Evo, especially at lower speeds and in town. The old 1100 has the "Dual Spark" motor with two spark plugs per cylinder, which helps combustion, especially at low revs.

Another major difference is that the Evo has a wet clutch while the 1100 has a traditional (for Ducati) dry clutch. The dry clutch can be a bit tricky for novices as it tends to be a bit grabby or unpredictable. It's also heavier than the Evo's wet clutch.

Finally, all Evos and the 1100s from 2010 have ABS, which is a handy safety net, especially if you've not ridden on the road for a while. The Evo also has traction control, which, again, you might find helpful as you gain experience.

I think the Evo that Chris mentioned as being up for sale is this one:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54430

Or, if you fancy an older, classic style Monster, how about an S2R 1000? This has a similar engine to the 1100, being twin spark, dry clutch. It's just 992cc instead of 1078cc. There's a very nice example here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54414

Whichever one you go for, you won't be disappointed. Happy hunting! ☺
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
2scoops

Thanks for the tip chris.p

Thanks for the detailed reply luddite, this is exactly the type of info I needed, although it sounds like either old or new 1100 has its strength over the other.

Not sure if the wet clutch and safety nets win over the sweeter engine or not?

I will mull things over and will surely post up once I made a purchase.

Cheers again for the input
Old 17-10-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
chris.p
Gold Member

The 1100 Evo can be made as sweet as the S with the Termi cans, and a Rexxer flash.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50780
Old 17-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Nottsbiker

Welcome

Give it a few more years with the way prices are going and the M900 will be more expensive than the 1100's

Must admit I was tempted to buy the Evo on here rather than get a 2k loan out to build my M900 up. Just missed an S4R low mileage for £2700 locally
Old 17-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scoops View Post
Hi All,

I've just joined the forum, coming to biking at the age of 43 with my two wheeled motorised fun being an 80cc moto cross bike in the field when I was a kid and scooters on holiday.

I have always fancied a monster and its now top of my shortlist for my first proper bike.

I am considering a 1078cc and was wondering if this would a good place to start or should I opt for a smaller engined version first?

Also did the later EVO version offer a significant improvement over the older bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2scoops
Blimey, well only you will know the truth but have I got this right- you had a field bike when you were a kid, whizzed around on a scoot while on your hols and that you've not ridden a road bike in the UK but want to plump right in on an 1100 Monster?

Have you passed your test etc?

I only ask as I know many will say bikes only go as fast as you twist the throttle but there are limits and it is very easy to be hauled along deceptively fast on a big V-twin and get yourself into a spot of bother.

Not wanting to sound like the fun police but why not buy a little-un now (can still be a Monster of course) for cheap money, blat around through the rubbish months to come then sell it on in Spring time without loosing a heap of cash when you have more experience and buy the shiny bike of your dreams then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
and of course the Evo is the best Monster out there
Lets not get that one started here just yet- but at least your bike IS red!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Welcome

Give it a few more years with the way prices are going and the M900 will be more expensive than the 1100's

Must admit I was tempted to buy the Evo on here rather than get a 2k loan out to build my M900 up. Just missed an S4R low mileage for £2700 locally
Yes a little worrying that first thought- we're all going to be too paranoid to leave them anywhere if that happens and I love going away and touring round on mine.

Don't tell anyone here but I think you did the right thing spending it on the 900 and not buying one of the others.
Old 17-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Nottsbiker

I may sound old here but the original is definitely the best

Since riding an R plate M900 from Colchester to Chelmsford one sunny day back in about 2000 I've always had a soft spot for the old girls
Old 17-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
I may sound old here but the original is definitely the best

Since riding an R plate M900 from Colchester to Chelmsford one sunny day back in about 2000 I've always had a soft spot for the old girls
Well I could go on and on about how much I love my old 900 but I think almost eighteen years of ownership kind of says that already.

I did flirt with an S4 for a while as well but despite it (at the time) handling better (and being more powerful) I much preferred the character of the air cooled 900 motor but now I've got the suspension properly sorted it's amazing fun and just makes me grin every time I ride it.

I think the old girl still looks pretty plus it's comfortable enough for 350+miles in the saddle which helps when getting away for a few days.

Old 18-10-2016, 05:42 AM   #10
chris.p
Gold Member

well if we are doing gratuitous bike at a race track shots, here is a newer version of an Air Cooled monster at play

Old 18-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
The 1100 Evo can be made as sweet as the S with the Termi cans, and a Rexxer flash.
You're soo right, Chris! See separate post...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d=1#post534282
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
You're soo right, Chris! See separate post...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d=1#post534282

Yep, just read it and posted on it.