UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » I'm back!

Old 10-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Wildfire

I'm back!

After using the M600 for summer to get to work and around on, I found that the 600 engine was just a little lacking once I had passed 50 , especially on the motorways. Combined with escalating cost of keeping it going whilst doing 250 miles a week and a revised tax calculation, I sold her around 3 weeks ago.

I had a few choices to make (see earlier thread), but on Tuesday I took ownership of a Monster 821 Dark

It has already been fitted out with some crash protection, a rear cowl and most importantly Termis with the Up map.

The bike will primarily be used for commuting and everything except the weekend blasts out (the F3 is for that). Because everyone needs a 112bhp Monster to go to work on.

Here is my mini review following a ride from Pro Twins and to work today.

Overall it feels like a Ducati and I was very surprised how much like a Monster it felt, despite the water cooled engine.

Engine: The engine is brilliant, loads of power right where you need it and when you need it, but not so angry and powerful that you feel like it wants to rip your head off. It will happily pull from 2500 in top gear, with a decent amount of pace. At low revs there is a little shunting, but nothing noticeable or that a tiny bit of clutch won’t cure. Compared to the MV it is silky smooth. The surprising thing is that where I’d expect my old Monster to tail off the power just keeps on coming. As I’m still running it in, I haven’t explored the top of the range yet, but the torque spread is very good so far.

The rider modes seem pleasantly different, but again the Sport Mode is still very shy of the sharpness and response on the MV. The throttle spring is light, but still gives feedback, whereas the clutch (now cable operated) is a revelation for a Ducati!

Chassis/suspension/handling: A very good mid point, you can tell this has been built as a road bike with the riding position being upright and very comfortable. Coming from my Clip-On’d and rear setted M600 it is actually a nice change, although anything at speed becomes an exercise in neck muscles/strength. The common complaint of too close pillion pegs could become a reality if I had bigger feet.

I did find I wanted more weight over the front, but it is not unduly light and the bars give good leverage and the turn in is good. Being cold, I haven’t explored the lean, but the Rosso II’s are definitely not as good as the III’s and if I hadn’t just spent all my cash I would switch to a pair of PR4’s.

The TC is nice and progressive allowing a little slide on an off-camber, damp, uphill corner.

The suspension is fairly soft and the front absorbs bumps well, perhaps a little bit too much dive on initial bite, but it firms up fairly quickly. The back is adjustable and seems balanced for the road. I suspect it may get a bit overwhelmed on the track, especially after a few sessions.

Brakes: Brakes are excellent, great power and feel from the non-radial MC. IMHO I don’t think a switch to radial would give any real benefit. The rear brake does work, but has about as much feel as an anesthetised Ketamine addict. Looks good though.

Last edited by Wildfire; 10-11-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Wildfire

Other bits:
The engine gets warm. Even on the go in 8 degrees (according to the dash) my legs were still toasty. The switch gear is modern and odd, but I miss the tactile feedback of real switches. The Dash is pretty good, although a gear indicator or fuel gauge would have been preferable as opposed to the real time MPG etc.

The pegs are not too bad for rubber mounted items and offer good grip in the wet.
The mirrors are position nicely, fairly big without looking stupid but still vibrate quite badly. I am considering putting my Rizoma Dynamic’s on.

The rear indicators don’t look too bad on the Evo Tech tail tidy, but the front items are massive. They will get switched out for Rizomas.

The seat feels pretty comfortable and according to the OH, the pillion feels ok, much better than the MV (although that isn’t tough), but she has just sat on it so far.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
MarkF

Welcome back, good to see you are bike fit again and enjoying the 821, it is a cracking bike that's for sure.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
That looks very nice indeed in the Black.

What you need now are a set of BST Carbon Fibre wheels to go with it.
I happen to know an 821 owner with a set and would be willing to accept a reasonable offer.
They make the bike fly

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
...I happen to know an 821 owner with a set and would be willing to accept a reasonable offer...
Does this mean you are selling your Monster?
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Welcome back, good to see you are bike fit again and enjoying the 821, it is a cracking bike that's for sure.
Thanks Mark! Yes, I'm about 95% good now. Only done 30 or so miles but really enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
What you need now are a set of BST Carbon Fibre wheels to go with it.
The temptation! But I fear the OH would kill me. I was reminded that the F3 was "the last bike for a while and don't worry I won't do anything to it". Carbon + pipe + a full set of spare bodywork etc.

So far I have managed to sneak a set of Termi's on this one. Although wheels are much less noticeable......

May see you at Micky's this weekend J.P. If I can get out of bed and it's not too horrible out.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
May see you at Micky's this weekend J.P. If I can get out of bed and it's not too horrible out.
Perfect, I can try the hard sell then

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome back and congrats on the new bike.

If you already have black wheels, the carbon ones will be virtually unnoticeable ... visually.
Just sayin'.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Wildfire

Jeff.. you evil man!

I have also been offered some forged wheels for the MV..