UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Headlight problem

Old 15-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
Druid

Headlight problem

2010 Monster 1100 ABS

When I turn the ignition on and start the bike the main beam warning light stays on, but the headlight stays off, both main beam and dip. Rear light is on. Operating the dip/main switch has no effect, lights stay off. After riding for a while - maybe 10 mins or 5 miles the warning light goes off and the headlight comes on and operates as normal.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this?
Old 15-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
johnboy44

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Watch with interest as my M696 is having main beam probs, first it was intermittent but now I have no main beam all the time I've checked fuses and bulbs, I'm edging towards the light relay, good luck
johnboy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
I think the main beam staying on is ECU programmed. Maybe worth a call to a main dealer.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
Luddite

That's a weird one.

The first thing I'd do is to lift the tank and swap round the ignition and headlight relay as they're both the same. At the same time check that the terminals and sockets are clean.

Do you have any error codes logged? If "LIGHT" is shown, that indicates a problem with the relay.

Could there be a short in the wiring somewhere directing the headlight voltage to the high beam warning light? Out of curiosity, when the light isn't working, does it illuminate when you press the 'pass' button.

On the Evo, the light is programmed (presumably through the dash?) to extinguish 60 seconds after either killing the motor or turning the ignition on but not starting the engine. If your 1100 is the same, perhaps there's a problem with that aspect. Try disconnecting the multipin connector from the dash and cleaning the contacts.

Good luck!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
Druid

No error codes logged

When the light is not working, pressing the pass button does not do anything.

iirc, normally the lights do not come on when you turn on the ignition, only when the engine is running.

I was thinking it was likely to be an ECU problem because it works normally after a little while, which would seem to rule out a wiring or relay fault?
Old 15-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
you could try disconnecting the battery counting to ten and reconnecting it. i know it’s a bit of a pain in the ass on mk2 monsters but with many modern computers, microcontrollers, ecus etc. they have a persistent power connection and never fully reset with switching on & off but they do if the power source is disconnected. just a thought.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
iirc, normally the lights do not come on when you turn on the ignition, only when the engine is running.
On my Evo, the lights come on with the ignition but the earlier 1100 may be different?

I think slob's suggestion is definitely worth a try and, while you're under the tank, you can check/swap the relays.

I assumed that the headlight would be controlled by the dash. I've no evidence of this but, I'm sure the indicators go through the dash so maybe the headlight's the same.

If the dash is the control, then disconnecting the multipin plug from the back of the dash should have the same effect on it as disconnecting the battery but without having to lift the tank. Maybe try that first.
Old 16-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Druid

Thanks I'll try disconnecting the dash this evening, if I need to disconnect the battery it will have to wait till the weekend
Old 20-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
Druid

Sorted. One if the terminals on the 4 pin connector behind the headlight was dirty. A squirt of contact cleaner and it's all working as it should

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
On my Evo, the lights come on with the ignition but the earlier 1100 may be different?
I remembered wrong up there ^, must be my age. The lights go off when you press the starter but otherwise they're on
Old 20-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
Luddite

Great news! Thanks for letting know.

Funnily enough the same day you posted, I noticed that my low beam bulb had blown (first one in nine years) so I've had my headlamp off today.