UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Tank repair - any ideas please?

Old 25-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #31
Goofle

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post

On the flip side the weather is pretty grim....
Exactly. I’ve been out in a car for a quick trip. The roads are wet and seem to resemble fields at present around here. In addition to that it’s consistently tipping it down. Nah, I’m in no rush!
I’ve also got the Keihin carbs in bits too. I’m thinking while I’m at it I’ll change the filters, oil, maybe do the belts as well. The valve clearances were done at the last engine rebuild too (by the same guy who’s currently got the tank) so may be due a look as well. I’ll bring the bike into the conservatory when it stops raining and have a look at it - maybe that should be IF it ever stops raining!
I think I’ve decided on a red scheme with possibly a single white stripe too, slightly off set from the centre line. I’m still struggling to find the seat cowl though. I’m fearing it may have got lost / left behind in the house move, although I see not how...

Ps any ideas where I can source a fuel filter from? I think they’ve changed designs since the early bikes and are now not available?
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #32
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
.....any ideas where I can source a fuel filter from? I think they’ve changed designs since the early bikes and are now not available?
The filter is still available, but be gentle with the rubber boot that holds it onto the frame tag. They are becoming rarer than a rare thing!

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/advanced...ords=42540051A

Last edited by Darkness; 25-10-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #33
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Ps any ideas where I can source a fuel filter from? I think they’ve changed designs since the early bikes and are now not available?
This is the third or fourth mention of fuel filters in the past few days - must be the time of year!

Moto Rapido still have a couple in stock and you'll get 10% UKMOC discount too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-D...A/171347500111
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 06:20 AM   #34
Goofle

Thanks Luddite, sorted!
Old 26-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #35
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
This is the third or fourth mention of fuel filters in the past few days - must be the time of year!

Moto Rapido still have a couple in stock and you'll get 10% UKMOC discount too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-D...A/171347500111
Is that the right one?

That sort bolt under the tank in a metal bracket.

The earlier ones are these:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/advanced...ords=42540051A

Also at https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/42540051A.html

And very possibly at Moto Rapido too.
Old 26-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #36
Luddite

You could be right, Darkness. I was going by Moto Rapido's eBay description, which said it fits all 900 Monsters '93-'99.

But, comparing the fiches of the '93 and '98 Monsters, it looks like the Moto Rapido one was originally fitted to the '98 model, although Stein-Dinse do list it as also fitting '93-'99 Monsters.

Is the rubber boot you mention (no. 5 in the first fiche) open at the bottom to accommodate the differently positioned inlet? Would the hoses still reach OK?

1993 M900

1998 M900

Last edited by Luddite; 26-10-2019 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Wrong picture descriptions
Old 26-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #37
Darkness

The upper fiche is right for ‘93, ‘94 model bikes.

‘Is the rubber boot you mention (no. 5 in the second fiche) open at the bottom to accommodate the differently positioned inlet?’

Yes, thats the one. There is a hole at the bottom, but the filters have different diameter bodies from memory.

Simplest to get the right one as the long term solution!

Last edited by Darkness; 27-10-2019 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Reference to diagram revised to suit Luddite edit.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #38
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
The lower fiche is right for ‘93, ‘94 model bikes.
Oops! My mistake - I've swapped them round.

And agreed, better to have the correct fitment. Hopefully, if Stein-Dinse can get them, so can Moto Rapido
Old 26-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #39
Darkness

Yes, or Medina Italia as per my other linky.
Old 27-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #40
Goofle

I may be selling a fuel filter shortly, never used, to fit 1995 and onwards Monstros!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #41
ledheadlamp

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOz View Post
More than a few have been killed welding or cutting vessels that contained flammable vapour. As I've mentioned I have the owner let the tank sit dry and vent for a week or so then I add a few more days to that once I get it. After that, if it has any significant smell of petrol it gets longer to sit and vent or completely filled with a detergent/water solution then drained and allowed to dry. Once I'm happy to start I leave a compressed air line in it on a flow of a few litres a minute using a low-pressure regulator and finally I swap to purging it internally with a good flow of argon for at least 10 minutes before I spark up, even after all that it still doesn't feel like a good thing to be doing.

Braze is a good repair, it allows the problem area to be closed up and reinforced without melting the base metal which if it is thin just wants to melt back and leave a huge area to repair.

Should the repair be more than they want to attempt and if the tank is essentially scrap at that point let me know and if we can get it down hear to Kent I can take a look. I'm not a professional and would do my best but I don't want to damage an otherwise repairable tank if I run out of skill.
I like your honest view of this.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #42
Goofle

Another quick update / thread revival.
I’ve just called in and see. My tank. It’s had a patch welded in the back. It looks as if it was originally badly welded there when manufactured then (badly) ground back to shape. However apparently the rest of the tank is solid however.
Tomorrow’s task is dig out the mudguard and then hopefully find the seat cowl (that’s a hope not an firm belief!) and take them along to be sent to the spray shop too. Things are slowly moving....
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #43
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Another quick update / thread revival.
I’ve just called in and see. My tank. It’s had a patch welded in the back. It looks as if it was originally badly welded there when manufactured then (badly) ground back to shape. However apparently the rest of the tank is solid however.
Tomorrow’s task is dig out the mudguard and then hopefully find the seat cowl (that’s a hope not an firm belief!) and take them along to be sent to the spray shop too. Things are slowly moving....
Christmas might yet still come to your house (garage or shed). You are having it done seasonal RED?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #44
Goofle

I’m thinking red, yup! The Ducati expert has a few things he’s sending to the spray shop to make a batch in red so I think that settles it. I’m hoping to find the seat cowl too but I do t hold a lot of hopes...
Old 16-12-2019, 04:00 AM   #45
Goofle

So, yet another update in this. I haven’t found my cowl which is more a little annoying. I have however bought another so the three (mudguard, tank and cowl) are off to be sprayed red. In an effort to make it look a little different it’s going to get a white stripe or two stayed along the length too. I’m thinking it could look really good - which is more than can be said for the rest of it! Oh well, decision made now anyhow!