UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Does it need the desmo valve clearance check?

Old 14-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Liany

Does it need the desmo valve clearance check?

Hello all
60,000 km (37,5000 mi) service is coming, a major service (every 2 years or 20,000 km). the duc is a M1000S 2004
It's been 2 years from the last major service but in these two years I did only 6,000 km on it.
The fluids will be changed, but do the belts have to be changed and does it need the desmo valve clearance check even though it did only 6,000 km (3,750 mi)?
Old 14-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
search on 'belts' using the forum search menu, there was a long discussion earlier this year about belt life. do you want to gamble? is the bottom line.
with shims (desmo valves)... maybe, it really depends on how hard you use it.
i do quite a few tracdays, the result is shimming the valves results in it feelung like a brand new motor. if you cruise gently at the weekend, you'll probably be fine.
ask yourself how it's running now, maybe you can answer your own question.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
My take on it is that belts will 'go off' even if the bike isn't used, possibly more so if standing too long? so stick to the time or mileage (whichever is first) formula, but valve clearances only move through use (wear) so if the clearances were good 6,000km ago they shouldn't be far off now if it's only had road use.

That said I'd check them anyway, I check mine every year regardless of mileage (but then I'm not paying someone to do it) and checking doesn't take too long, altering them takes longer but obviously only needs doing if it needs doing.

Even if the belts can go another year (much debate on belt life) they want checking for tension and condition.

Assuming a dealer/bike shop is doing the work, then by the time they've checked the belts, then unless they are confident and qualified enough to say they're OK for another year - you might as well change them.

As an aside, I also check the rockers for flaking chrome, but this is a hangover of having a Desmoquattro engined bike (glitter in the oil anyone?) and probably not strictly necessary on an M1000...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote