UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4 idle issue

Old 22-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #46
Terryphukwit

Bike: S4

Terryphukwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #47
Terryphukwit

Also two wires have been tapped into at some time at the fuel pump relays, can anyone think of a reason?? Nothing connected now just the connectors..

Old 22-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #48
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Did you get an owners manual with the bike Terry? There should be a wiring diagram in the back. Both the diagrams I’ve seen definitely show the fans operated by a relay.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #49
Terryphukwit

Hi
Yes I have the wiring diagram but the bike does not reflect it, the bike is 2003 if this makes a difference, I can only see 2 x relays, both next to the battery, they both click in with the ignition and click out when the fuel pump stops, none of the wires running to these relays match the fan wiring colours, unplug either and the fuel pump does not run. I wonder if they updated the wiring on the 2003 model and i don't have the wiring diagram for it, ill have to peel back some of the loom and trace the wires, is very strange..
Old 22-08-2021, 10:38 PM   #50
slob

they ate the only two relays in the parts book for an s4.
on air cooled monsters of the same vintage, one is efi, the other is the main relay
Old 22-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #51
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm going to give away how little I know about the water cooled bikes here, But I'm sure Darren69's bike is a foggy S4? I don't know the year. I do recall him having trouble with the fans. I think it was that only one fan would work, because the bike was fitted from new with an ECU that would not operate two fans and perhaps various other anomalous wiring things like colours different to diagrams and so forth. I recall he uncovered quite a muddle.

I've shown some half understood observations here but I do see some commonalities. I think Darren could be your man here?
Old 22-08-2021, 10:55 PM   #52
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'm going to give away how little I know about the water cooled bikes here, But I'm sure Darren69's bike is a foggy S4? I don't know the year. I do recall him having trouble with the fans. I think it was that only one fan would work, because the bike was fitted from new with an ECU that would not operate two fans and perhaps various other anomalous wiring things like colours different to diagrams and so forth. I recall he uncovered quite a muddle.

I've shown some half understood observations here but I do see some commonalities. I think Darren could be your man here?
Well remembered that man. There are 2 variants of S4: '01 and '02. The '01 has one ECU fan driver that will run both fans and the '02 up has 2 drivers that will run 1 fan each,. If you have '02 up ECU it won't run both fans from 1 driver if they are connected together. Both need to be connected to it's own driver.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #53
Terryphukwit

Hi Darren,thanks for this,so I can stop looking for a relay now, reading your thread when you had trouble with fans you had one driver not working, how did you get past this?
Also could you look at my pictures above, does the wiring look the same as yours with the bullet connectors and the short extension piece on the left hand fan, this looks standard as in not messed with but not sure..
Old 23-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #54
Terryphukwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
they ate the only two relays in the parts book for an s4.
on air cooled monsters of the same vintage, one is efi, the other is the main relay
The wiring diagram I have S4 01 does have 3 x relays, main ignition, fuel injection and the third is fans. Not the same as the bike though and I don't have the same as below..

Old 23-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #55
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryphukwit View Post
Hi Darren,thanks for this,so I can stop looking for a relay now, reading your thread when you had trouble with fans you had one driver not working, how did you get past this?
Also could you look at my pictures above, does the wiring look the same as yours with the bullet connectors and the short extension piece on the left hand fan, this looks standard as in not messed with but not sure..
I don't remember seeing any bullet connectors on my S4 just the Superseal ones. The wiring is slightly different on the '02 bikes because there should be 2 fan drivers in the ECU which operate independently and can be set at different temperatures. Mine being Fogarty means it is an '02 bike that was incorrectly fitted with an '01 ECU at Ducati and only has 1 fan driver the 2nd fan and wiring is redundant.

Someone had previously chopped into the fan wires and joined them together and I found that like that neither fan worked so I just disconnected the join and now the 1st fan works the 2nd one will never work with the '01 ECU and '02 wiring loom.

I had considered wiring in a relay to operate both fans but I decided against that as when the fan is disconnected it throws up an error on the dash and I think with a relay it would do the same as it would not see the fan connected.

So the bike has only 1 fan which works fine and is rarely used anyway and engine coolant temp is displayed on the LCD dash anyway. I suppose I could always wire in a manual switch to operate the 2nd fan but I don't think it's really that important (at least here in the UK) I think if I were to take the bike to warmer climbs then I may do it just in case.

I have an '02 ECU which should work but I would maybe have to get that flashed and keyed to the clocks etc. Maybe one day?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage

Last edited by Darren69; 23-08-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #56
Terryphukwit

Hi, still here and still not fixed but really close now, its been into the shop, they put it on the diagnosis and cleared faults, replaced the wiring from alternator to RR, replaced the battery with a second hand one they had for free, the one on there was new in January but would not give out more than 12.3v ??
anyway, this still did not fix it but they did not say they had, they did the obvious but did not want to run up costs. charged me an hour that i thought was more than fair. I have now hard wired a meter to the battery,this i can monitor all the time, when you start the bike it gives a reasonable 14 ish volts, then quite randomly it will drop away to 12. something, mostly around 12.8 but then drops to 12.5, i can really feel this is what is affecting the running.
Referred to the thread on here for checking the charging system again, I have done it before but went through it again, alternator and RR check out but it has to be one of them so I have ordered a new RR, one of the mosfet ones and a set of connectors.
This should be arriving Tuesday, will get it fitted and report back, one question, would you recommend crimping or crimping and then soldering the connectors onto the wires?
Thanks.......
Old 03-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #57
slob

Soldering can make wires more brittle as it runs down them, I know some folk swear by soldering but a good crimp connection should be fine.
I take it you're aware of very cheap, dodgy MOSFET RRs on auction sites?
Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #58
Terryphukwit

Quote:
Soldering can make wires more brittle as it runs down them, I know some folk swear by soldering but a good crimp connection should be fine.
I take it you're aware of very cheap, dodgy MOSFET RRs on auction sites?
Hi, Thanks, ill go with the crimp, yes iv seen them for £17, bargain!! not sure what would or could be wrong with them but iv had a supplier recommended by the guy that looked at it for me.

Out of interest has anyone had any experiences with these cheap units..
Old 03-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #59
slob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxtCC330Xg

if you play it back at 1.5x speed it's a lot less dull
Old 03-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #60
Terryphukwit

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxtCC330Xg

if you play it back at 1.5x speed it's a lot less dull
That's a very long explanation about nothing, its obvious they are copies but that is what pattern parts are, i'm almost tempted to buy one to see what you get out of interest..