UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Aftermarket brake and clutch levers ?

Old 17-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
Jam911

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Aftermarket brake and clutch levers ?

Who makes the best aftermarket brake and clutch levers please?

Evotech , ASV or ?
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Titax, pazzo, rizomo, ducabike, cnc racing + a whole load more.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #3
slob

My favourites are CRG, unfortunately they seem to be made of unobtainium these days
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 12:07 AM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I've got ASV levers on the Evo (BRC550-S & CRC550-S) (https://asvinventions.com/c5-series-...-lever-brc550/). Beautifully engineered and manufactured. 4 inch span adjustment with 180 clicks between max and min.

They are also claimed to be unbreakable as they are designed to pivot forward in the event that the bike falls over. I've not tested that claim yet and I don't intend to either!

Before that, I had CRG levers on my S2R. They were also nicely made but only had five or six different span options. The CRG have been widely copied by the Chinese but I haven't seen any ASV copies yet. Some of the Chinese levers seem quite well made - it's the quality of their anodising that seems to attract criticism in that it will fade or discolour quite quickly especially if exposed to a lot of sunlight. I suppose if you went for a natural silver though, that shouldn't be an issue.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Find some you like, beg a borrow for a few days, make a mould then compression mould your own pair in chopped carbon.
You could do the same with a 3D printed mould for levers or engine casings

Got some chinese and the anodising is holding up nicely after 2 years.
Old 18-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
All my Monsters (2x 900ies and an S4) have Chinese folding/extendable levers with the roller bearing adjuster. Huge improvement over the stock levers, and a pair runs about 24-30 squid. They seem very nicely made, and all the fasteners are stainless.

I run them as shorties - because I can get 4 fingers on them if needed, and don't need more than 2 anyway... I like the Titanium and Black (ideally with red adjusters), but many colour combos available.

With the 2000-2001 era Monsters with the GoldLine master cylinders, your biggest issue is going to be either getting a replacement clutch barrel/pin, or getting the pin out of the existing barrel so you can remove/re-use it. The grub screw is tiny, and it acts like it is expoxied in - although it's probably just thread locker, and heat might help - me, I wimped out and stopped before I stripped out the head... On all of them...

I resorted to buying a new Brembo clutch lever to get one, bought another as a spare part from Gotham Cycles (unobtanium ever since, and the Brembo part # is elusive - eg wasn't on the original packet - so may not even be available from Brembo separately from the full lever kit).

For the 3rd, found this outfit that makes their own (picture is a link to the site selling them, AF1 Racing): .

Spendy (twice the price of a pair of levers!) - but still quarter/half the price of buying a complete Brembo clutch lever kit with the barrel/pin included. I had to lap the barrel to the lever for a few minutes with diamond compound on the last pair, but don't know if that was the lever or the barrel that wasn't quite perfect.

Last edited by spuggy; 18-12-2021 at 07:01 PM..
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

I've had cheapy. Chinese ones for five years, apart from slightly fading anodising on the adjuster levers they've ben fine.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, I've had cheap chinese shorty levers on my 750 for at least five years and they've been great so far.
More rigid than the original Brembo levers too, which must help.
Mine are silver anodised so no fade of colour.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #9
jakefh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
All my Monsters (2x 900ies and an S4) have Chinese folding/extendable levers with the roller bearing adjuster. Huge improvement over the stock levers, and a pair runs about 24-30 squid. They seem very nicely made, and all the fasteners are stainless.

I run them as shorties - because I can get 4 fingers on them if needed, and don't need more than 2 anyway... I like the Titanium and Black (ideally with red adjusters), but many colour combos available.

With the 2000-2001 era Monsters with the GoldLine master cylinders, your biggest issue is going to be either getting a replacement clutch barrel/pin, or getting the pin out of the existing barrel so you can remove/re-use it. The grub screw is tiny, and it acts like it is expoxied in - although it's probably just thread locker, and heat might help - me, I wimped out and stopped before I stripped out the head... On all of them...

I resorted to buying a new Brembo clutch lever to get one, bought another as a spare part from Gotham Cycles (unobtanium ever since, and the Brembo part # is elusive - eg wasn't on the original packet - so may not even be available from Brembo separately from the full lever kit).

For the 3rd, found this outfit that makes their own (picture is a link to the site selling them, AF1 Racing): .

Spendy (twice the price of a pair of levers!) - but still quarter/half the price of buying a complete Brembo clutch lever kit with the barrel/pin included. I had to lap the barrel to the lever for a few minutes with diamond compound on the last pair, but don't know if that was the lever or the barrel that wasn't quite perfect.
Can anyone update me on availability of "Push-Rod & Barrel" for a third party clutch lever? I cannot get the original out of the broken lever.

Failing that, can anyone point me in the direction of a third party lever which also has the push-rod & barrel, for less than the OEM £111?

TIA.
jakefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 09:49 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

IIRC the Titax levers came with the pin and barrel.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 05:13 AM   #11
Leamreject

Ive tried the Chinese low cost option but found them to rattle which looks crap on idle. So now I have a nice firm set of quality ASV’s
Old 23-05-2023, 07:51 AM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I could only find places in US selling these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353951666...mis&media=COPY

It looks like the part you're after?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 08:26 AM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefh View Post
Can anyone update me on availability of "Push-Rod & Barrel" for a third party clutch lever? I cannot get the original out of the broken lever.

Failing that, can anyone point me in the direction of a third party lever which also has the push-rod & barrel, for less than the OEM £111?

TIA.
You'll have to explain to me what a third party clutch lever is. Is it something to do with insurance? or a lever for the pillion perhaps?

So if the lever is already broken, why can't you cut/heat/smash/pummel it to pieces until the barrel will drop out?
If I'm imagining the lever correctly I think it's quite thin round the barrel?
There's also a little grub screw in the picture. Is that stopping the assembly from coming to pieces? Does it go in the end of the barrel and lock the rod in?
Old 04-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #14
spuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefh View Post
I cannot get the original out of the broken lever.
Yeh, don't think I ever managed to get one out. 2.5mm (IIRC) hex key bending like crazy with zero movement on the grub screw. I gave up before I stripped the head out entirely.

I did read later that these were fitted with thread-locker - the type that requires heat before it'll let go, Loctite Red says to heat it for 500F or 260C.. So that might be the trick.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:00 PM   #15
spuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I could only find places in US selling these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353951666...mis&media=COPY

It looks like the part you're after?
Looks like Gotham Cycles got them back in..