UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Alternative headlamps...

Old 07-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #181
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
The MOT test rules are due to change on 20/5/18. This is from Section 4 of the (draft) MOT Inspection Manual...

"Some motorcycles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
Saw this VOSA bulletin at my local MOT station last week, the last paragraph appears to allow some discretion IMO;

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #182
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Is the Cibie 180 unit from larkspeed the corrct one or is there a better beam type cibie
Old 29-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #183
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Jerry it was you who first flagged up the H180 on here as a recommendation!

That's the one we seem to be going for.
Cibie H180 = Valeo 082439 With side light (pilot light)

Without side light is Valeo 082441

As far as I know it is no longer made and Larkspeed buy old Valeo stock, which is apparently hard to get hold of at the moment. I have one on back order and expect delivery in January...Maybe.

There is a single H180 on Amazon for sixty some odd quid, ready for dispatch... Probably the last one in UK?
Old 29-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #184
Darkness

Cibie Z180 are better in a car as they have a flatter dip beam, but are pretty rare now anyway. There are others listing 7" headlights, probably the H180:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/cibie-...s-7-52947.html
Old 30-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #185
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Jerry it was you who first flagged up the H180 on here as a recommendation!

That's the one we seem to be going for.
Cibie H180 = Valeo 082439 With side light (pilot light)

Without side light is Valeo 082441

As far as I know it is no longer made and Larkspeed buy old Valeo stock, which is apparently hard to get hold of at the moment. I have one on back order and expect delivery in January...Maybe.

There is a single H180 on Amazon for sixty some odd quid, ready for dispatch... Probably the last one in UK?
im getting forgetful now im 60 ha ha ..was the old Cibie used on bikes in the 70s a Z180 ???
Old 30-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #186
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
im getting forgetful now im 60 ha ha ..was the old Cibie used on bikes in the 70s a Z180 ???
Both were available in the 70s though both were designed for cars that don't lean in on bends.

The H180 came first, with the dip cut off flat on the offside and kicking up at about 25 degrees on the near side to better illuminate the verge/foot way.

The Z180 came later, and had a different dip beam cut off that better suited cars. It was similarly flat on the offside, but only kicked up a little at the centre to a slightly higher flat cut off on the near side. Zed shaped, which is probably where they got the name from.

I've tried both back in the 70s and since, but prefer the H180 on a bike as the Z180 doesn't suit being mounted higher than intended, nor leaning around corners.
Old 30-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #187
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Excellent info on the Cibies there Darkness. I remember Z-beams.
You linked to the non-sidelight H180 but they do list the pilot light version, although sadly out of stock...Sound familiar?
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/headla...-glu71411.html
Old 17-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #188
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

My Cibie H180 arrived late last year and I fitted it straight away along with a new LED H4 "bulb".
I was prompted by Buzzbomb's post about his fitment of a Cibie in a Bosch shell onto his M1100 and also another order for an adapter (from Bitza), to actually try out my new lamp in the dark for the first time this evening. What with it being incredibly mild for February and all.

So the bulb is a relatively new type with LEDs on all four sides of the "stick", two adjacent sides for the main and two for the dip beam. It is configured so the dip beam is on with the main and the main extinguishes for dip.
The square "stick" is fitted with the corners up and down, diamond fashion. There is a cooling fan in the heatsink.

I did about twenty miles on lanes, country B-roads and a bit of dual carriageway.

The sheer amount of light coming out of the lamp is incredible, it's a nice white light, and the spread is very satisfying. There is no problem seeing the road surface immediately in front of the bike, in great clarity. No dark patches or shadows in the pattern on dip or main. The dip cut off is a little fuzzy but no light escapes above the cut off so there was no flashing from oncoming drivers. Dip and main are both very central with no evident bias to the left. This is the only area where the Autopal unit wins over all the others with it's finger of light piercing down the nearside on dip... No such finger with the Cibie.

For all it's light output there is no horrid dazzling glare from the road signs, that I have trouble with, with the other lights.
As with all headlamps there is a limit to the range dead ahead. This seems to be a product of there being nothing to reflect from in the far central distance? When I was going through a dense wood all was illuminated, as there were trees to reflect the beam even far ahead.
In an attempt to get the distance penetration a little better, I tried adjusting the lamp up a bit, Too much as it happened, but I did see a dense spot of light in the centre of the beam in the trees. A little more crude adjustment got the spot of light a bit closer to the right place , but I was very near home when this particular penny dropped, so didn't get it spot on. A few more seconds will have it sweet I'm sure.

I'm very pleased indeed with this set up, but I do want to try the new LED in the Autopal. I like the look of the Autopal clear crystal unit in the Monster, so I'm hoping that the new bulb works well in it, as the Cibie is destined for the Commando really.

To sum up, I don't think I have ever seen so much light come out of a single headlamp before. This is a phenomenal set up.
Old 18-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #189
jerry
Old Git

Gazza what brand of LED H4 bulb
Old 18-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #190
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Sorry Jerry I was going to post more details of the bulb but had to check out the insides of the old eyelids.!

It's this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-4-Side...72.m2749.l2649 You can put one in your bike and give the other to a mate.

As mentioned it is wired in the red box so that the dip is on all the time and the main is switched. That might account for the full spread of light. I wanted to try this out anyway by jiggering with the wiring on the bike, but now I don't need to.

There are loads of these H4 LEDs on ebay, nearly a matter of putting a pin in the page, as it's a bit of a minefield.

Old 18-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #191
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I've been following this h/lamp and other threads since I think I will be forced down this route if I have to remove my HID setup in the standard bowl and reflector which is good but not for oncoming traffic.

Do these H4 aforementioned LED units fit direct into the existing wiring and lamp without modification?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #192
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Totally plug and play mate..
Old 18-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #193
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Cool, I think I will get one in that case as I might get a fail for my 'arc light' conversion. Road signs are so bright they blind you. I don't ride a lot at night but it always nice to see when I have to. I might tap you up for your Cibie conversion at some point in the future too. I am going to chance my arm for the MOT this year and see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #194
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Just for you Darren, I popped into the workshop and tried the new LED H4 in the old Bosch headlamp and fitted into the shell to make sure it had enough room for the heatsink and fan. The Bosch is much deeper than the others you see... Happily it does fit but it feels like there's only just enough room in there.

To be honest if it's MOTs that you're worried about You would probably be better off fitting a Tungsten or Halogen bulb just for the test, as for all I know the LED might fall into the new category of unfavoured bulbs?

If you do intend to go for a Cibie then don't wait too long would be my advice, as they tend to be sporadically in stock. Larkspeed performance is the favourite source.

Happy to supply an adapter whenever you're ready.. Down to the last few Black ones, but plenty of Gold left.
Old 18-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #195
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
..... Down to the last few Black ones, but plenty of Gold left.
Any joy with the micro paisley?