UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Alternative headlamps...

Old 24-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #166
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
HID now illegal in UK , will not pass MOT from May 2018 and police can prosecute if you have HID lamps installed
Are you sure about that Jerry?

Converting a halogen headlight is not permitted, but HID units with the right E markings are still legal:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hid-headlamps
Old 24-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #167
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
Got me worried now. However, to revert back to a 'normal' H4 bulb will take only minutes. I am annoyed that Hawk are still selling kits on EBay if they are soon to be illegal.

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply..."

I guess Hawk would argue that it is not illegal - yet.

BTW postage was free so I paid £18.98.
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #168
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
HID now illegal in UK , will not pass MOT
As are loud exhausts etc.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #169
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
HID headlights must be self-levelling and have a cleaning function - not sure how this would apply to bikes? I guess modern BMW's with HID's have self levelling suspension, not sure about the cleaning aspect though.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #170
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Are you sure about that Jerry?

Converting a halogen headlight is not permitted, but HID units with the right E markings are still legal:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hid-headlamps

yes im sure MOT station told me and its in the motoring press ,, after 1st May 2018 HID aftermarket is illegal ,,unless manufacturer original at time of cars production
Old 25-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #171
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
The MOT test rules are due to change on 20/5/18. This is from Section 4 of the (draft) MOT Inspection Manual...

"Some motorcycles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #172
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Don't see my original reply here Jezz so will repeat.
Fitted a H7 100/90 watt bulb to my original headlamp (which was in good condition) and was amazed at the coverage.
In the center lane of motorway on 'dip' I had perfect coverage for up to 50m with a superb 'cut off' covering all three lanes.
Natural tungsten light !
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #173
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswilly View Post
Don't see my original reply here Jezz so will repeat.
Fitted a H7 100/90 watt bulb to my original headlamp (which was in good condition) and was amazed at the coverage.
In the center lane of motorway on 'dip' I had perfect coverage for up to 50m with a superb 'cut off' covering all three lanes.
Natural tungsten light !
Hi Chris,
That sounds like a big improvement on the the standard glow worm headlight quality! I guess we should all meet at on a dark & moonless night to compare brightness/ beam spread. That said it might be easier to herd up some cats...
Old 26-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #174
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
H7 is a single filament bulb. Monsters use a twin filament H4 bulb.

Jez... What's so hard about heading to the top field at the Sharnbrook, after Dinner on Saturday night? An added Weekender activity?

I trust that you're not in the habit of a bit of light flashing in secluded laybys on Moonless nights??
Old 27-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #175
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
The MOT test rules are due to change on 20/5/18. This is from Section 4 of the (draft) MOT Inspection Manual...

"Some motorcycles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
yes thats it
Old 15-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #176
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
I don't know if this is of any use, but spotted these and at £18 someone might want to try one...

https://www.banggood.com/7inch-H4-H1..._warehouse=USA
Old 15-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #177
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Good call Mossleymonster. Ought to be worth a punt at that price, some bulbs are more.

Driver looks like it would fit inside the shell, which is an advantage.
They do give an awful lot of waffle in the spec list before they get to any real figures. Seems to me that the unit is low on actual lumens but is VERY White light @6500-7000k.
My experience is that it will probably give a very "ghostly" light and dazzle third parties, but someone needs to try one of these to give an acid test.

I made my first overseas sale with an adapter kit (IOM). My customer is going to try a "Truck-lite" LED unit with integeral driver... No details on that yet.. Looking forward to a review.
Old 18-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #178
Dukedesmo

With all this talk of headlight upgrades and, given my disappointment with my own (at least the high beam) I have fitted one of these LED units into my M900; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162962739...m=162962739217

My Monster doesn't actually have an OEM Monster headlight so I didn't need one of Mr Gazzas rings to fit it as it is already a 7" light so a straight fit (well almost as I did have to alter the retaining clips) - I do actually have one of Gary's rings but it is to use on my Guzzi which does have a Monster headlight .

Anyway I previously had a HID bulb in a non HID housing which was very good for the dip beam but the high beam had no focus and just scattered away making it less than satisfactory.

I tried the headlight out today for the first time (bike has been laid up until this week with engine problems) and can say that I'm fairly pleased - the dip beam may not be quite as good as previously as, although bright it has some 'fragments' in the beam due to it having several LEDs rather than a single bulb but the full beam is much better than before.

Added bonus is I can do away with the ballast and the LED uses less current than either HID or conventional bulb putting less stress on the electrics.

I also took the opportunity to rewire the relay setup to be neater as previously it was an 'evolved' setup with various add-ons that were messy so now I have a neat bank of relays and fuses making everything easier on the eye and easier to access for any maintenance.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #179
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
With all this talk of headlight upgrades and, given my disappointment with my own (at least the high beam) I have fitted one of these LED units into my M900; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162962739...m=162962739217

My Monster doesn't actually have an OEM Monster headlight so I didn't need one of Mr Gazzas rings to fit it as it is already a 7" light so a straight fit (well almost as I did have to alter the retaining clips) - I do actually have one of Gary's rings but it is to use on my Guzzi which does have a Monster headlight .

Anyway I previously had a HID bulb in a non HID housing which was very good for the dip beam but the high beam had no focus and just scattered away making it less than satisfactory.

I tried the headlight out today for the first time (bike has been laid up until this week with engine problems) and can say that I'm fairly pleased - the dip beam may not be quite as good as previously as, although bright it has some 'fragments' in the beam due to it having several LEDs rather than a single bulb but the full beam is much better than before.

Added bonus is I can do away with the ballast and the LED uses less current than either HID or conventional bulb putting less stress on the electrics.

I also took the opportunity to rewire the relay setup to be neater as previously it was an 'evolved' setup with various add-ons that were messy so now I have a neat bank of relays and fuses making everything easier on the eye and easier to access for any maintenance.

Nice work & looks good!
Old 19-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #180
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It looks very modern and its a nice job but I prefer the look of the Le Mans style that I have now. I know they're rubbish but they look nice. It actually took the MOT people 3 years to realise my Mirage had a left hand drive lens and I didn't realise either.

At the time I needed an original one for my Lav rebulld and I bought a complete s/hand unit from a ILOC member that had a spare new one with a smashed lens but he said he had a new spare one, which I fitted. That was £80 well spent. the rest of it was brand new though so not so bad.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote