UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Monster M900 1999 - UKMOC Gen 2

Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Yeah, carbs have a special character. I remember the intoxicating intake roar of my 750SS... Just begged to be spanked...

On the heads; you will find a rev-counter drive on the horizontal head from an SS, which can be blanked off.
No such on Monster heads or SSie.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
....On the heads; you will find a rev-counter drive on the horizontal head from an SS, which can be blanked off.
Or keep it and fit a mechanical rev counter too?
Old 04-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Froggy46

Darren, indeed the OE Mikuni is far from perfect, but it has been completely overhauled (US cleaned and all wearable items replaced a couple of years ago) and to date it is working surprisingly well, the only thing it does not like is long periods of inactivity! A good reason to use the bike.
The plan is to still go Mikuni but with TDMR, tried those on a 900ss and I was impressed, they do match Keihins but with the benefits of firing the air box (if required) and they do have a choke/fast idle.
Still as you said carbs are not as good (precise) as injection, but I am lucky enough to also have one of those “digital” bike in the garage, hence the fun element of the monster.
Obviously no point in spending money (lots) on the carbs when I still have W heads, so heads swap would be the first step.

Thanks for the advice on the heads, And the differences with the 900ss. Anything else that will need to be changed for the head transplant? (Apart for readjusting carbs...)?