UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Monster Touring

Old 20-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
ChrisH

Monster Touring

My Guzzi Stelvio is off the road With the dreaded cam follower issue. The dealer has peed me around and I am going to the v-twin rally this weekend.
So this is the result

Last edited by ChrisH; 20-08-2013 at 07:13 AM..
Old 20-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
You still have room on the tank. We had a lot going to tt for two weeks. A weekend you say ....
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
That all looks pretty neat, you'll have no problems.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
A weekend??? I pack less than half that for 4 weeks.
Old 20-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
ChrisH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bob View Post
A weekend??? I pack less than half that for 4 weeks.
How big was your tent then? I am going camping. Must have been a credit card and a toothbrush
Old 20-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
ChrisH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You still have room on the tank. We had a lot going to tt for two weeks. A weekend you say ....
Three nights camping.

I must admit I didn't think I would get this sort of response. I thought folks would like to see a monster put to good use.

Ho hum

Nice XT on your links BTW
Old 20-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Enjoy your rally.

At least with the old style Monster with low exhausts you can take normal panniers (unlike my M696).

While I can travel light for bike touring (2 x Kriega US10s and a US20 did me for 2 weeks World Ducati Week trip last year, and unlike some people, I wasn't transporting a load of stuff in someone's van as well), I can't travel light when camping. (The other half and I manage to fill the back of an estate car if we go away camping).
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Black Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
How big was your tent then? I am going camping. Must have been a credit card and a toothbrush
Oh, alright then.

(Smartarse )
Old 20-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
I thought folks would like to see a monster put to good use.
We do ....and yours is pretty well loaded up at the rear.
I'm assuming that you're going to fill the rest of the round bag so that the right hand bungee has a bit more purchase.
If not, I'd be inclined to lash the ends to the panniers somehow, just to be certain that nothing can move ...but I'm sure you don't need such advice.
Though personally, I'm a big fan of tank bags as they distribute the luggage a bit more evenly and place at least some of it where you can keep tabs on its security while on the move. Also they reduce the huge air dam effect of a giant sized tailpack.
Incidentally, have you come across "Rok Straps". They're a flat section bungee, like the ones in your pic but with a plain webbing section which contains a length adjuster. This enables them to be adjusted to the perfect length and tension for any size of pack. They also have very secure mountings. They're not cheap, but they work very well indeed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...513#vi-content

Happy camping.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Black Bob

Moderately interesting/impressive fact...

The 1100EVO can be loaded up with ~200kg of rider(s) and luggage, which is only 10kg less than a BMW R1200GS.

The older style 900's have only about 140kg payload though.
Old 20-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
ChrisH

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
We do ....and yours is pretty well loaded up at the rear.
I'm assuming that you're going to fill the rest of the round bag so that the right hand bungee has a bit more purchase.
If not, I'd be inclined to lash the ends to the panniers somehow, just to be certain that nothing can move ...but I'm sure you don't need such advice.
Though personally, I'm a big fan of tank bags as they distribute the luggage a bit more evenly and place at least some of it where you can keep tabs on its security while on the move. Also they reduce the huge air dam effect of a giant sized tailpack.
Incidentally, have you come across "Rok Straps". They're a flat section bungee, like the ones in your pic but with a plain webbing section which contains a length adjuster. This enables them to be adjusted to the perfect length and tension for any size of pack. They also have very secure mountings. They're not cheap, but they work very well indeed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...513#vi-content

Happy camping.
Thanks for the advice. I was having a dry run last night when I took the pics.
I like tank bags too, I would normally use that to put heavy stuff in and a tail pack.

Being honest the roll only has a sleeping bag and roll mat in. I got my mate to take the tent on his GS. The panniers are really small so cant get that much in them apart from a few clothes and a pair of trainers. I saw them on e-bay and made an offer. I had to make some brackets for the side stays as they were from an S4. They have strps that run under the seat.
Those Rok straps look substantial.
Old 20-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
ChrisH

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsC_772 View Post
Enjoy your rally.

At least with the old style Monster with low exhausts you can take normal panniers (unlike my M696).

While I can travel light for bike touring (2 x Kriega US10s and a US20 did me for 2 weeks World Ducati Week trip last year, and unlike some people, I wasn't transporting a load of stuff in someone's van as well), I can't travel light when camping. (The other half and I manage to fill the back of an estate car if we go away camping).
My wife is after a 696. Good to learn that it can take all of her stuff
Old 20-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
jamiedan2009

nassty standard cans still on :(

Old 20-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Three nights camping.

I must admit I didn't think I would get this sort of response. I thought folks would like to see a monster put to good use.

Ho hum

Nice XT on your links BTW
Thanks for that. I have to say I did presume you were Camping tbh. I think people under-estimate using the monster as a MULE. There is no reason why it cannot be loaded up well just like yours and safely too. I actually enjoying making the bike purposeful as well as minimalistic too.
I did have to do the same on my S4 but had Caroline on board too when we went to our first weekender some 7 years ago with tent and luggage.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Crossing the Alps to WDW2010, 3000 miles in two weeks with pillion.
Kriega US20+US10 on tank, 25 litre rucksack on pilion, essentially one change of clothes each.

10 days solo across Belgium, Germany & France last year, US20 on tank plus Ortlieb 35litre dry bag. Clean clothes every day, LUXURY!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote