UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » S4 a couple of issues ??

Old 28-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
S4 a couple of issues ??

rode bike yesterday noticed an oil leak but its very dirty old oil ,, today rode again and isolated it to the dry clutch unit ,,,,,, opened it up main seal looks fine and dry cant see how any oil would get in there unless there is another seal or O ring ???? plates were a little oily its not a flood but it aint right ?????

2nd issue is speedo ,, so instrument and cable are fine tested with hand drill ,, so can only be mechanical drive sender on front axle but that is brand New??????
Old 28-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

examining the clutch its not the big seal between engine and gearbox clutch so its probably the seal on the main pushrod by the throwout bearing or one of the other Orings inside the gripers and spacer bush

its not from the slave as thats not black its red colour oil and its fresh

will drop front wheel and look at the speedo driver too tommorow ??????
gonna see if i can source some orings round here ?????

at least I have the Z900 to get around on or the little yamaha plano 110 scooter but the S4 is a totally different kind of buzz to ride its visceral ,,
Old 29-12-2023, 12:30 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
The small seal in the gearbox shaft is cheap and easy to change, plus it can get damaged by removing the push rod.

The bearing behind it is also cheap but an absolute swine to remove so I wouldn't bother replacing it unless you know it to be bad.

Also, if fitting a new gearshaft seal, make sure it's in the right way round or the oil drips out into the clutch, potentially causing slippage but more embarrassingly smoke on startup after the oil has dripped onto your exhaust - don't ask how I know this...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post

2nd issue is speedo ,, so instrument and cable are fine tested with hand drill ,, so can only be mechanical drive sender on front axle but that is brand New??????
The 'bathtub effect' or 'bathtub curve' states that any apparatus has a very high chance of failure when first installed, the speedo drive might be brand new but that doesn't mean it isn't a duff one.
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 12:51 AM   #5
jerry
Old Git

Problem with clutch is that a couple of o rings are not well marked on diagram number 15 is vague could be in 3 places and a lot of ducatis dont seem to bother with it ??? the 2 on the push rod by the slave are obvious and the seal in the pushrod end is an o ring not a seal

the speedo drive is packed solid with grease so will need cleaning out and testing

hmmm we will see
a
Old 30-12-2023, 08:01 AM   #6
jerry
Old Git

speedo drive seems ok when cleaned it was tight but im not convinced its ok and now the cable is bust too when i was testing it with the drive ,,,cable is easy to get Honda supply them for pea nuts but the drive ????
Old 30-12-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Problem with clutch is that a couple of o rings are not well marked on diagram number 15 is vague could be in 3 places and a lot of ducatis dont seem to bother with it ??? the 2 on the push rod by the slave are obvious and the seal in the pushrod end is an o ring not a seal
Look at the gearbox parts - the seal and bearing that sit inside the gearbox shaft that the pushrod passes through.

This is for 996 but is basically the same;

Specifically parts no. 28 - oil seal & 29 - bearing, if the oil seal is leaking you will get oil in your clutch.

Old 30-12-2023, 12:40 PM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Duke desmo that seal 28 and the bearing is solid is fine , although could replace 28 seal easily , its a little weep from somewhere i suspect Oring 32 and 15 on the actual clutch page section 002 in the manual although what its purpose is unclear at all ?????
Old 30-12-2023, 02:50 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You can get a kit with better quality o rings from Exactfit. I have one to fit to my S4 as it is leaking a bit from behind the clutch slave. So most likely the crankcase o ring. Costs a couple of quid and they will send it next day post.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 03:07 AM   #10
jerry
Old Git

well the clutch is back together , added some fresh O rings and gave is a really good clean so when i ride the bike I can check it ???

i can ride the bike with the speedo inner removed until I can sort out the axle drive and a new cable?? might be able to get drive unit it here e the cable is easy £6 here if not will bring one from UK as well as the gearbox sprocket cover that im missing .

other than that the bike is finally finished with full refurb after 4 years including covid delays ,, new silver frame and wheels , all CF re lacqeured shiny and paintwork all refreshed ,, engine repainted and checked over etc new belts ,new filters , new fuel hoses and quick connects , rebuilt injectors new fluids new nuts and bolts etc , Ohlins bits all serviced it looks like a new showroom bike

i put the DP performance stage 2 ECU in as its tidier less cables etc than PC5 and standard ECU even though I have some awesome maps in it .... Bike runs sweet with DP ecu so happy
Old 01-01-2024, 09:42 AM   #11
jerry
Old Git

so rode bike 10 miles today clutch still leaking it is the little layshaft seal number 28 in parts book also need a new slave seal number 27

all are available locally when shops re-open after new year

the speedo drive will be ordered in UK its about £56 new but on ebay many people selling crap used ones for £50-80 !!!!FFS
Old 01-01-2024, 04:38 PM   #12
Dukedesmo

Quote:
clutch still leaking it is the little layshaft seal number 28 in parts book
It'll pick out easy enough with a pointy pick, tap the new one in up to the bearing with a small socket but make sure you fit it with the 'lip' pointing inwards (toward the left side of the bike) or it'll leak again.

Also, you don't need a Ducati specific part, it's a readily available oil seal you can get from a bearing/seal supplier though I doubt it's expensive even at Ducati prices.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:58 AM   #13
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
It'll pick out easy enough with a pointy pick, tap the new one in up to the bearing with a small socket but make sure you fit it with the 'lip' pointing inwards (toward the left side of the bike) or it'll leak again.

Also, you don't need a Ducati specific part, it's a readily available oil seal you can get from a bearing/seal supplier though I doubt it's expensive even at Ducati prices.
I broke my old Snap OFF pick tool trying to get the seal out ???? Thailand shuts down for 5 days over New year so no suppliers are open at the moment
Old 02-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #14
jerry
Old Git

the seal is 8mm x 12mm x3mm Im going to get a couple
Old 05-01-2024, 09:09 AM   #15
jerry
Old Git

The 3 oil seal and bearing shops i went to did not have small seal sizes I need but Ducati shop opens up again on 8th and he should have

2001 slave seal original outer 16x8.8x3mm ,,, push rod bearing O ring 11.5 x 2mm and push rod layshaft seal 12x8 x3mm