UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Ultra Low Emissions Zone London - Exemption Info

Old 23-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
Ursa

Ultra Low Emissions Zone London - Exemption Info

As the guidance on the TFL website seems to state that ONLY bikes registered on or after 1st July 2007 would be exempt from the Ultra Low Emissions Charge when it comes in in 4 years time, and Edna was registered February 2007, but is of the required Euro 3 standard, I contacted TFL for clarification on this issue, as it would impact how long I was intending to keep Edna, and any significant financial outlay I'd want to make in doing her up, as I commute on her to within the ULEZ zone.

This is the response I received, which states that Euro 3 bikes registered before the cut off date will be exempted, but you will need to register them.

By way of background, the ULEZ standards are based on 'Euro standards' - a range of successive exhaust emission standards for petrol and diesel engines. These standards define the limit for exhaust emissions for new vehicles sold in European Union (EU) member states. Vehicle manufacturers may only sell new vehicles that comply with these standards from a certain date.

Motorcycles will be required to meet the Euro 3 standards to be ridden within the ULEZ from 7 September 2020 without having to pay a daily charge. All Motorcycles manufactured from 1 July 2007, and some manufactured up to a year earlier, will meet the ULEZ standards.

As mentioned above, some manufacturers started selling motorcycles that met the ULEZ standard before they were legally required to do so. As a result, there are a number of motorcycles that were registered before the dates shown on our website that also meet the ULEZ standard. These motorcycles are referred to as 'early adopters'.

The information that you have provided indicates that your motorcycle may be an early adopter. However, a motorcycle's compliance status is based on its emission standard as recorded by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Please be advised that if your motorcycle's emission standard has been recorded as Euro 3 by the DVLA, you do not need to take any further action.

Should this not be the case and believe your motorcycle was manufactured to the required ULEZ standard, I would strongly advise you to contact the manufacturer's Homologation Department to obtain written evidence of this. The letter provided needs to state your vehicle's registration mark and vehicle identification number (VIN). It also needs to be signed by a signatory from the Homologation Department in order for us to accept it as proof of your motorcycle's compliance status.

In order to register an early adopter as complaint when ULEZ is implemented in September 2020, you will need to complete a registration form and supply a copy of your vehicle's V5C along with the above-mentioned letter.

So that covers the 695 and the S2R 800 and a couple of other 2006 onwards models I think?

Am glad they've sorted it out properly now, instead of a silly date cut off. As the charge will apply 24/7 365 days a year, worth registering if your bike will fall into that "grey area" and you're intending to visit central London. A long way off I know, but doesn't time fly!
Old 23-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Scott1

Thanks for posting, very useful, unfortunately mine just misses out by 12 years. I think you mentioned classic status exemption before but that involved a fair bit of admin work on an almost daily basis, will have to check again but I imagine I would change bike by 2020.
Old 23-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Ursa

Classic vehicles have to be built/registered before 1st January 1975, in line with the Road Tax rules, I think daily you have to register your intention to travel in in advance, and you are limited on the number of visits you can make as it shouldn't be seen as a commuter vehicle. It's a kerfuffle certainly!
Old 23-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
What about if you have had the cat removed on your once Euro 3 compliment bike?
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Ursa

I did actually ask them that in the email I sent, they haven't addressed it. I guess they are going by what DVLA states on the V5, which at least is an improvement than a date cut off point taking no account of the actual (leaving the factory) spec of the bike.

Maybe if at some point in the future, it gets noted at MOT, and there's then a legal requirement to adjust the V5 they can monitor it then. Of course most people would just stick it back on for the MOT I would presume. Or emissions testing stations at the side of the road? I dread to think how we'd pay for that.
Old 24-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Essentially all you need is a euro3 compliant V5, you could stick whatever engine/exhaust you want in after that

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My S4 2001 is Euro 3 ,,,, has a big sticker on the airbox sayings so and on the frame ???????? it is in thailand so unlikely to go to london but I reckon a lot of pre 2007 bikes are Euro 3 compliant
Old 24-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

My '02 S4 has the same, although I'm guessing the DP ECU and full system would override that?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Ursa

You're quite right Jerry, I think TFL haven't been upfront about this, or that Euro 3 bikes registered prior to the date will be exempt.

This is the information from their website. It seems to state that the date is the only cut off, hence my email to them about the emissions standard of the actual vehicle (as it left the factory)

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...e?intcmp=32646
Old 24-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
TFL are f*ckwits of the highest order, the London assembly report on them claims they were 'not fit for purpose'. TotallyFailingLondon!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
Chris & Nean

London loves H1 500 triple stroker
Old 24-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
jerry
Old Git

Its like the Bus lanes in brighton ( Blighton) they were exempt for bikes , but now the council is not sure if they still are as the bye law covering it expired ,,,???????????? cant get a sensible answer and they have just quadrupled the enforcement cameras for the bus lanes ,,, they are anti motorist and have spent £2m on the new cameras ??????
Old 24-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #13
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Nean View Post
London loves H1 500 triple stroker
Would be fine with a suitable number plate
Old 08-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Just to add some interest to this new emissions zone here is a good read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources...ur_car_exhaust

Possibly the ULEZ is hitting some people slightly unfairly
Old 09-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
slob

If you're a Londoner who thinks your bike will pass a NOx test

From https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...opeds-and-more

Motorbike emissions testing
We will also accept evidence from test facilities approved by us for measuring NOx emissions. If successful, the test facility will contact us with the results.

Test centres that believe they can offer motorcycle emissions testing to the required standards should email their contact details to ruculezenquiries@tfl.gov.uk.

Approved centres for motorcycle emissions testing

Riverbank Motorcycles Ltd
Unit 12, Riverbank Business Park
Dye House Lane, Bow
London E3 2TB

they're on 020 8983 4896
I haven't talked to them yet but have been told they charge £175 and are linked directly to the MOT system so a pass will immediately exempt your bike from ULEZ

Last edited by slob; 09-04-2019 at 08:45 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote