UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Bike cutting out when put in gear **fixed**

Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #1
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
Bike cutting out when put in gear **fixed**

My wee monster has been neglected for 8months so cleaned it up.. got a brand new battery & filled it up with petrol.
Started 1st go so yeeha i thought.... got my gear on & put her into 1st & *doof* bike cuts out.... this happened 4 times in a row. I already have the stand cut out bypassed so i thought there was an issue with that so i reconnected those cables but still no luck. I then read online that it could b the clutch plates stuck as bike sat 4 so long so i let it warm up & pumped the clutch & heard it move but that still didnt work.
After much head scratching i had a brain wave.. use the red key to start it.. maybe its the immobiliser! After searching i found it & wouldnt u know it didnt cut out when i put it in gear!!! Somehow the key i was using had stopped working! Hope this helps some1 in the future!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Now that it has run have you tried to use the other key, I am very surprised it would start with a wrong keycode.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
coincidence? that sounds like bad connection to the neutral switch.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Question for "Slob", what makes you think that this might be a bad connection to the neutral switch? because I have a problem similarly connected to the neutral switch. My problem is that my warning lights stay on when in neutral but start working normally when in gear, any thoughts? Oh yeh the bike is a bit of a mix S2R 1000 engine, SS ecu, a 2004 M1000 loom, and S2R instruments.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
I used the other key afterwards with no problem at all!! Mayb as it had no battery connected for so long it needed the red key for some reason!! Good job im the only ever owner & have it here!!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
Dilkris

I am interested in this and believe the "problem" will still be there - the key swop (use of red key then back to black) I find difficult to believe as being the "fix" of the engine cutting out when putting the bike in gear. Sorry to sound negative - but please keep us up to date as and when the problem re-occurs.