UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Led headlight conversion advice

Old 18-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That's a very interesting article Rollo, thank you for posting it.

However it is dated January 2018, that's about 18 months out of date, which in the white heat of technology is significant.
It reflects (I punned!) my experience of my first LED bulbs. Rather pale and not focused. I also took the advertised claims with a pinch of salt when I bought them, but I stuck with the project and the ones I am using now are very impressive and do now exceed the output of halogen bulbs.
Interesting though how different the cut off and step are with the same bulb in different reflectors. you really do have to experiment to get the result you want.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your beam Jez..
Old 18-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your beam Jez..
OK, heres a quick attempt at night photography. It appears the MOT station have raised the light position slightly but adjusting that in the dark wasn't on the cards! I will get some more pics once I have set the light down slightly but heres something to give you an idea. The blue bin is about 20m from the bike.

Dip beam

Hi beam

You can see the hedge across the other side of the road (above the gates) clearly lit up like day time.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 18-05-2019 at 09:17 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks for a magnificent effort Jez. Photographing a beam pattern is not as easy as it sounds!
I was going to try photographing the beams of all the bulbs and reflectors I have, starting with an ordinary bulb in the Bosch unit. I even made some sticks with 50mm white discs on the end, to place down the lane equidistantly, and then..... Well maybe one day? (or night.)

You seem to have a useful hotspot towards the left on dip, and a nice clean cut off, but I can't see a step in the picture due to the building (not a criticism of your photo, you don't have a beam studio at your disposal).
The first 4 metres seem to be in the dark, but probably look that way due to the intense light ahead. The bin is about 15 metres away if those are 6ft fence panels.

High beam is showing a good penetrative hotspot of white light and true colours showing on the plant in the foreground.
The hotspot seems to still be biased to the left, but strangely the cut off is still there on the offside? This could actually be handy if you want, as I do, to maintain high beam on a dual carriageway, but not so good if you want a milliseconds extra warning of a rampant Stag emerging from the woods on the right.
I sometimes get flashed on a dual, but I just tell 'em to squint for a second, even though they can't hear me. What are they going to do? Turn round and chase me... ? I think not.

You have a massive improvement on the OEM light there Jez. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 19-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Thx Mr Gazza.

Like most here I have spent (wasted!) loadsa money changing this & that, to gain one thing or another, most of which are probably never realised as the item is really bling/ no better than OEM/ beyond my skill level to realise the potential!

That said, the headlamp (once angled down a little) really works well, is perhaps the mod which I have gained the most from & is one of the cheaper ones into the bargain.