UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Service quote opinions / sense check

Old 15-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Just a thought....how badly have you "ploughed" the discs ?
Is there any chance at all that they're still actually usable ?
They might look visibly marked but if you're lucky it may still just be surface scratches which don't actually affect braking performance very much.
I'm wondering if you could just try new pads to start with (fitted yourself) and see how they work, before shelling out on new discs.
What's to lose ?

Similarly, belt changes are pretty easy on a 2-valve motor.
You could save there by doing those yourself too.
....and leave the valve clearances until their scheduled check at 7,500.
You could even consider checking those yourself too, as checking alone is reasonably straightforward ....its the subsequent adjustment which is more tricky, but you may find that none is needed......mine were ok at that mileage on my 750.
Suddenly you're saving the best part of £800.

I guess that the problem with braking in heavy traffic is that your feet might not get chance to even get on the footpegs between stops, making the front brakes easier to get to.
A conscious effort to ride feet-up as soon as possible may help.
To be honest, the bike will probably feel more stable if you use the rear brake to balance the throttle and steady the bike rather than the fronts, which in turn makes feet-up riding easier.
Perhaps a more relaxed throttle technique will reduce the need for braking too.
Or, thinking slightly outside the box, how about fitting a thumb operated rear brake control (with the money you might save on the discs) ? ....I don't speak from experience here though and probably wouldn't do it myself, preferring to modify my braking habits instead.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
turbohobbit

All good points, thanks Utopia. The discs are ploughed to the extent that they aren't smooth. I can feel (and see) ridging when I run my finger over the surface of the disc. It's smooth rather than sharp ridging, a bit like a raised pattern on a dinner plate, but it's definitely ridged.

How difficult is it to change pads and belt? I presume it's the work of a track stand, the correct tools, and a mach-savvy mate?

Braking: Yeah, it's partly the footpeg thing, and partly just natural reaction, especially when I'm filtering a fair bit through faster moving traffic. If the traffic is flowing at about 20-25mph, so slow enough to be able to filter but fast enough to get up a reasonable lick, I do find myself covering (and riding) the front brake rather than the back. A pretty bad habit to be honest. I'm trying to scold myself whenever I notice myself doing it, though!
Old 15-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
...How difficult is it to change pads and belt? ...
Brakes

Belts

I haven't watched the videos.

But you can do the brake pads on the side stand.

Very easy job.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
simonb

Putting new pads on worn /scored discs is rarely a good idea. Can discs be skimmed? Ok to do it on cars if not too badly scored?
Old 15-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
wezrvf

So how easy is it to check the valve clearance? obviously adjusting is another matter but is there any harm that can be had by checking yourself? Also, please can someone explain the difference between the valve check and shims? are they the same job ?

Cheers
Old 15-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezrvf View Post
Also, please can someone explain the difference between the valve check and shims? are they the same job ?

Cheers
I believe it's the same thing. You check the valve clearances then if any adjustment is needed you do it by adding or removing shims.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #22
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb View Post
Putting new pads on worn /scored discs is rarely a good idea. Can discs be skimmed? Ok to do it on cars if not too badly scored?
As a general rule that's true, but the proof of the pudding an' all that......
If new pads are needed anyway, why not see how they work with the old discs before shelling out £400 on an assumption.
You'd know pretty soon if the brakes were useless or not and could then promptly change the discs before the pads had bedded in to the old ones.

I would imagine that skimming a floating, two-part disc is too complicated to be economical.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm actually surprised that a floating disc can get so hot during normal use that it would actually warp?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #24
turbohobbit

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys. I spoke to ProTwins today and they are going to order the rotors in (they don't carry them as stock) and the bike is provisionally booked in for the end of the month. They wanted for me to pay for the rotors up front but I didn't have my wallet with me when they called so I said that I'd call them tomorrow. I am a bit surprised (and concerned?) about them wanting me to pay up front - it feels like I am committing to the work even if it transpires that it's not really needed. I'll make sure they understand that they'll be refunding me the money if they don't need to use the rotors.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I had my warped discs changed on my 1100S under warranty by ducati ashford when they noticed them at nearly aged 2 years old. You may wish to ask them about them prior to getting charged.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #26
turbohobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I had my warped discs changed on my 1100S under warranty by ducati ashford when they noticed them at nearly aged 2 years old. You may wish to ask them about them prior to getting charged.
Good point, I will do. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they say it won't be covered as I was the one why caused the damage (wear and tear. Literally).
Old 15-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #27
Dirty
Bockloks

What Albie said

Plus if they want you to pay for the discs up front I think that means you've bought em, regardless, otherwise why would they ask?

Old 15-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #28
turbohobbit

Agreed. But isn't it a bit odd that they're charging me £400 for parts before they've even confirmed that I need them? Or am I being naive?
Old 15-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #29
Dirty
Bockloks

To me it's a bit odd that a main dealer wants payment up front full stop. I can understand a small independent doing that but then again my mate runs a small garage and anything he gets from the main dealer is sale or return.

Old 16-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
turbohobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
To me it's a bit odd that a main dealer wants payment up front full stop. I can understand a small independent doing that but then again my mate runs a small garage and anything he gets from the main dealer is sale or return.
I'm of a similar opinion to be honest. Thinking I may call Ducati ProTeam at lunch and get their opinion.