UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Pro Twins deny my problem

Old 13-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #16
scrumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
Was just about to buy a S2R from Pro-Twins! Mmmmmmm! Also is it true if I fit Leovince Cans after I have broken the bike in will this make my warranty void as they are not a Ducati product etc...? and can anyone advise on Leovince, Pro-Twins say that the welding is far supperior?
I had to get Termis or was told mine would be invalidated, must depend on dealer!
Old 16-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
chief

Thanks for all the feedback, to try and answer questions...

I have been riding bikes for 3 years and i use mainly for trips to work and back and then drives out in the country on weekends when it is not raining (which meant rarely this last summer).

When i have taken the bike in to have the clutch looked at, they have told me that there is no wear or damage to the plates and that it is just an issue with dry clutches in general.

I agree with many people that Pete and the guys in the workshop are on the level and really helpful but i am annoyed that i have to take my bike in to get the clutch plates flipped every two months rather than just doing a clutch replacement and seeing if the problem re-occurs on the new one.

The break issue is as follows... I would also expect the back break to lock if i stood on it but i am talking about breaking harder than a normal stop but not emergency stopping.

I can be travelling at less than 20mph and have to pull up quickly and it just locks, swings the back out and the clattering noise starts.

A cyclist shot out from in front of a bus as i was dring by the other day and i had to break - release - break - release several times to stop the bike, it frightened the life out of me as i thought i was going ot take her out (obvously she should have been looking and i did ask her if she had a death wish - using maybe slightly more coarse language.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and any more is welcome. I think i am going to go and see protwins and ask them one more time to fix the clutch problem by replacing it and look at the brakes or i will take it elsewhere to have someone else do the work.

It is a real shame, my monster is brilliant and always put a smile on my face, but lately it just isn't the joy to ride it originally was.

Don't much like the new shape Monster either, i heard there is a naked 1098 in the pipeline, so may look at getting one of those if they come out in 2008.

Thanks

Neil
Old 16-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
chief

in reply to rusty35...

Quote:
Was just about to buy a S2R from Pro-Twins! Mmmmmmm! Also is it true if I fit Leovince Cans after I have broken the bike in will this make my warranty void as they are not a Ducati product etc...? and can anyone advise on Leovince, Pro-Twins say that the welding is far supperior?
I have Leovince cans fitted by Protwins, they made a significant difference and ofcourse, get the bafflers out and never put them back in.

Protwins did fit them to close to the indicator though which started to burn away, then when i went to get the issue fixed, they wanted to charge me, i said that it was an issue with the original work and that i wanted it for free, they took the price of the new indicator off but not after looks of distaste.
Old 16-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Chief, I'd say on most ducatis, don't use the rear brake - the front will give immensely superior performance and feedback. You'll be able to stop more quickly and with more confidence on the front. Many racers disconnect the rear.

I use the rear in town for the final couple of yards as the bike comes to a stop and occasionally to trim the rear when cornering or performing slow manouvers.

Re Pete, I agree he's a good guy. Have you phoned him about the issue? He's always got time to talk through the most trivial issue with me and I don't believe he treats me any differently than any other customer.

Anyway, enjoy the bike!
Old 18-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #20
Rusty35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
I have Leovince cans fitted by Protwins, they made a significant difference and ofcourse, get the bafflers out and never put them back in.

Protwins did fit them to close to the indicator though which started to burn away, then when i went to get the issue fixed, they wanted to charge me, i said that it was an issue with the original work and that i wanted it for free, they took the price of the new indicator off but not after looks of distaste.
Thanks for the reply. I have been talking to Metropolis in Vaxhall and they have offered £5550 + they will give me £1000 for my Bike Suzuki VAN VAN, slow as hell but has done the trick to get me started. I dont really want to use Met for services as I know they take the Pi_s They serviced my Bike and left the chain on really slack, it came off going over a Pot Hole in Brixton and I nearly lost control of the Bike. Never went back after that. If I buy from Met can a further dealer/gagarge take on my warranty issues?
Old 19-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #21
chief

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have been talking to Metropolis in Vaxhall and they have offered £5550 + they will give me £1000 for my Bike Suzuki VAN VAN, slow as hell but has done the trick to get me started. I dont really want to use Met for services as I know they take the Pi_s They serviced my Bike and left the chain on really slack, it came off going over a Pot Hole in Brixton and I nearly lost control of the Bike. Never went back after that. If I buy from Met can a further dealer/gagarge take on my warranty issues?
Don't use Metropolis for anything, not even to buy, they are cowboys, they wont give a toss about any aftersales issues and to b e honest, most dealers place customers who bought through them over any others, as you would expect really.
Old 19-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #22
Rusty35

Quote:
Don't use Metropolis for anything, not even to buy, they are cowboys, they wont give a toss about any aftersales issues and to b e honest, most dealers place customers who bought through them over any others, as you would expect really.
Cheif how about Ducati Coventry? a fella called Jim!
Old 19-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #23
Bodybag

Ducati Coventry are very good with the whole sales and after sales setup. They're also JHP Racing and will probably get you drooling over all the trick parts they make for Duc's too.
Old 20-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #24
Rusty35

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/n...reply&p=232409

Stuck between the S2R and a 695 in Black with Red Frame. Will trick up the 695 anyway. I am very indecisive.... What do you think? Have had a Van Van Suzuki so anything will be faster. Got to make a decision fairly lively or my name will be mud with a few dealers. Coventry may be making a great deal on 695 as they havemt got any S2R's, people dont seem to want to do a great deal on the S2R's at the mo, ...
Old 20-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #25
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
I had a test ride on the S2R 800, you don't need to worry about it being less manageable than the 695. It's smooth at low speed, got a really nice clutch and feels physically very light to ride.

I thought at first that it seemed a bit soft, power wise but it goes well if you open it up.
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
chief

Quote:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/n...reply&p=232409

Stuck between the S2R and a 695 in Black with Red Frame. Will trick up the 695 anyway. I am very indecisive.... What do you think? Have had a Van Van Suzuki so anything will be faster. Got to make a decision fairly lively or my name will be mud with a few dealers. Coventry may be making a great deal on 695 as they havemt got any S2R's, people dont seem to want to do a great deal on the S2R's at the mo, ...
Hey

Firstly, why buy the 695 when it will be replaced by the 696 early next year and therefore your bike will depreciate in value faster than the norm.

Secondly i think they are discontinuing the S2R 800 and only keeping the 1000 version like mine, so don't buy an 800 either.

If you can afford it (and although i have a few problems with mine) go for the S2R 1000, it has loads of torque, loads of grunt, and is (generrally) a joy to ride.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #27
Fraser

Wink

didn't realise Italian bike's came with back brakes..........??
Seriously, to echo a previous comment, stick with the front. I've owned five Italians and all had not existent back brakes - esp, on some, when the fluid's been boiled by the exhausts!
Old 20-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #28
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Cheif, you really need to speak to Pete at Protwins.

It's not really fair to sign up to a forum and slag off a dealer in your first post, then do nothing to try to resolve the situation. I had him on the phone again this morning saying that he hasn't heard from you and asking me if I knew what was happening.

PM me if you're not comfortable talking to them directly. I'd be happy to talk through any problems you've got and go back to them for you.
Old 20-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #29
chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Cheif, you really need to speak to Pete at Protwins.

It's not really fair to sign up to a forum and slag off a dealer in your first post, then do nothing to try to resolve the situation. I had him on the phone again this morning saying that he hasn't heard from you and asking me if I knew what was happening.

PM me if you're not comfortable talking to them directly. I'd be happy to talk through any problems you've got and go back to them for you.
Jerry

I didn't come on here slagging off Protwins, i came on here describing my experience and asking for advice.

I have been truthful and descriptive and nothing on here is in anyway slagging them off. I have also stipulated here that i think Pete and the guys in the workshop are totally on the level.

I said on this thread that i will go back to them and speak to them again to see what they say. I just haven't got a lot of time to go down there at the moment.

So what have you said to Pete? That I have been slagging them off, because if so, you have just created a situation where i really cannot go back to them, because they think i have been bad mouthing them, when if you read this entire thread, you clearly see i haven't!

Thanks for that.
Old 20-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #30
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Braking technique?!?

Quote:
........The break issue is as follows... I would also expect the back break to lock if i stood on it but i am talking about breaking harder than a normal stop but not emergency stopping.

I can be travelling at less than 20mph and have to pull up quickly and it just locks, swings the back out and the clattering noise starts.

A cyclist shot out from in front of a bus as i was dring by the other day and i had to break - release - break - release several times to stop the bike, it frightened the life out of me as i thought i was going ot take her out (obvously she should have been looking and i did ask her if she had a death wish - using maybe slightly more coarse language.

I've been reading with interest and would like to pass a few words of advice re the braking technique....

The rear brake is useful for very slow manoeuvres, u-turns etc, but for normal riding, front brake combined with controlled down shifting is all you need - especially on a Ducati. Mike Hailwood (showing my age now - NEVER used his back brake!!). You might want to experiment and use a bit of rear in wet conditions, but in reality, you brake a lot more gently in the wet anyway, but still the emphasis is to use the rear with extreme care.

For advanced techniques, rear brake can be used to tighten lines on bends at speed, but this really needs to carefully applied in road riding. Jumping on the rear brake pedal or trying to lock the rear wheel is really bad technique and an understanding of the forces applied should be found - try your local bikesafe or advanced training scheme where they should be able to identify any bad habits you migt have aquired over time. Refresher courses are good for everyone and I'd recommend that to anyone reading this thread.

As an instructor in an earlier life, the one single contributor to an out of control braking scenario was the over use of the rear brake. Many riders think over use of the front brake will mean you'll end up over the handlebars or the front will tuck....well you won't unless you are a stunt rider or Rossi who brake at the absolute maximum, the chances of that happening to you simply will not occur in road riding or under an emergency stop scenario. The use of either brake in a bend needs discouraged if at all possible for the obvious reasons!

As usual, practice makes perfect and education to which is the important brake...Hint - The Front....is the important message. You might have gotten into a bad habit by over using the rear brake in normal riding?

Clutch - keep on at the dealer. Obviously needs sorting. You'll get fobbed off with it being a consumable item and is subject to wear, but there may be an underlying problem?? Pressure plate/springs?? My M1000ie graunches occasionally, but it's just in the nature of the beast I think!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke