UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Ducati Insurance

Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Ducati Insurance

Just got a quote from Ducati Insurance

£495!!

I am amazed and happy, considering I paid around £2000 with swinton.

How can there be such differences between companies?
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
yay, more cash for trackdays :-)
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
The difference is that Ducati Insurance is managed by a ducati owner who under stands what a load of nutters we ducati fans are.

I noticed in another thread someone had posted that Ducati Insurance would only pay for stock parts rather than the after market that had been damaged BUT in alot of cases its cheaper to replace the after market stuff as its cheaper than the OEM parts.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
yes thats true, but in the event the bike is nicked they wont cover the extras unless you pay extra to cover it
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
Buzzbomb, that was me on the other thread re the parts replacement - I guess its the "bling" they are not prepared to replace, termi's for my bike all in are £1200 list, stock is about £150 I think, Rizoma turn indicators £147 vs about £50 but I take your point on general bits. I asked Ducati Insurance how come they were so much cheaper than all my other quotes, they said Ducati want you to ride thier bikes, i.e. not a Honda. Sort of makes sense.... Great result jonzi, doubt mine will be as low as that on renewal!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
turbohobbit

I'll be calling them in May for sure!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Merlin you say that you think OEM cans are approx 150 well I think you'll find out that they're alot more than that, tomorrow I'm delivering a panigale but if I get back in time I'll find the current cost of a pair of stock cans for an 1100EVO monster.

I've been riding 56years, 54 years legally and have insured with a lot of different companies and to be honest I find buying my insurance from Nick at Ducati Insurance to give me the most confidence as he knows the business...

Ho and I have to admit to being a friend of Nick but that don't reduce my premium I'm sad to say...
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
turbohobbit

Let's put it this way: When I stacked my Monster 696 in September I mildly grazed the end of the right stock can. Despite minimal damage, the insurance company wanted to replace it. I was advised by the garage that for a small sum more I could have a COMPLETE CARBON TERMI RACING SET. And by small sum I mean less than £200. Yes. That's right. A complete carbon termi racing set is less than £200 more than a single right OEM can.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Stephen thats exactly were I was coming from, I've seen repair bills that would make your eyes water just for OEM parts.

Lets face it most of us replace the exhaust systems and I think the insurance companies know this and as you've found out OEM parts can be rather costly compared to some of the more exotic systems.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I've always submitted a full written list of modifications to make sure there's no dispute (of the "your insurance is void" type) in the event of a claim. One bike is insured as 'replace with OEM', the other has an agreed accessories amount on top of book value,
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Any post accident assessment is costed against stock parts unless that item is declared and been accepted as a part of the 'risk'
The cost of repair is usually based on the quote that a dealer/repairer submits which is what the insurance company will pay out. If you want to top up then the repairers take money from you or if the repairs are cheaper with non-oem they take the 'spare'
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
turbohobbit

Yup, this is what happened to me.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Well I asked at the store the cost of OEM cans for a 696 monster and the answer was that it would be cheaper to fit termi's + ECU and filter as opposed to a new pair of standard cans.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
cactus

Bike: M900ie
You were paying £2000 !! bl**dy h*ll.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
pegboy

Every year I call around I find Ducati Insurance come back the most expensive!!

Maybe I'm not call the right one??