UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Bennets insurance....BUYER BEWARE

Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Dave Pearson

Bennets insurance....BUYER BEWARE

I recently sold my Monster (yes I do regret it).........and dutifully canceled my insurance policy with Bennets and sent back the Certificate.
After a week of not hearing anything I called them and they said "we haven't received your certificate, so cannot cancel the policy".....after three weeks I contacted them again, same thing, they sent me a form for me to fill in saying that I had lost the certificate which I amended (I hadn't lost it) and sent it back...........heard nothing.
I just phoned them again, "ok, yes we have received the certificate", oh good says I, what about my refund for the 7 months of the policy that are still remaining........."oh yes, you get nothing back because your policy is older than 5 months"......"WTF" says I.........."oh you should have read the details when you took the policy out".
If you are insured or are thinking of insuring with Bennets: BUYER BEWARE
Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
ton_up

Bennetts suck, I'm with Ducati Insurance and they've looked after me, except for not covering punctures, lol
Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Cancelled my insurance with ebike with just over 1 month to go and cheque arrived within 10 days.

At the first point of contact, I've always found Bennetts quotes to be one of the most expensive - clearly doesn't equal a better service.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Carole Nash - have twice got an (un-asked for!) refund when I've sold a bike.
Most recent was the 1000sie in mid June this year (after running the 696 alongside it on the insurance from early May) - had a credit back to my back account for it, not bad considering the policy expired in mid Sept
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
bertieflea

I was with Bennetts once. I had the renewal letter through the post so I decided to shop around a bit to see if I could get it cheaper and I did.
Bennetts took the liberty of renewing my policy with them without my consent (it's in the small print, you have to opt out!) so I told them to cancel it and they charged me £60.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieflea View Post
I had the renewal letter through the post so I decided to shop around a bit to see if I could get it cheaper and I did.
Bennetts took the liberty of renewing my policy with them without my consent (it's in the small print, you have to opt out!) so I told them to cancel it and they charged me £60.
It does emblazon it across the renewal reminder.. "We'll renew automatically so you can enjoy another year etc" It's the small print you sign up to initially that gives them the permission, it's not uncommon to find this these days and you do only have a limited period to find and change it.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Dave Pearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Cancelled my insurance with ebike with just over 1 month to go and cheque arrived within 10 days.

At the first point of contact, I've always found Bennetts quotes to be one of the most expensive - clearly doesn't equal a better service.
I do phone around for my insurance, and it was Bennetts that were cheapest this year, turned out to be the most expensive now though never again. I shall use Carol Nash when I get back on two wheels.......
Old 05-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Bucking the trend here I used Bennetts this year only as they matched the offers from Ducati Insurance and Carole Nash's. Just came down to cost in the end, all around 120 fully comp
Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
julesbristol

Exactly the same terrible experience with Bennetts. Absolutely sh1te. Refused to accept my cancellation even when I returned the policy documents. They then fined me after over-charging me. Really snotty letters too. Awful service.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesbristol View Post
Exactly the same terrible experience with Bennetts. Absolutely sh1te. Refused to accept my cancellation even when I returned the policy documents. They then fined me after over-charging me. Really snotty letters too. Awful service.
Yup me too.

They sent me some junk mail about a year later so I posted it back to them with a load of other crap - without postage...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
Mostro69

Seems like Bennett's aren't the only ones trying to pull the wool over bikers' eyes.

I'm insured with Motorcycle Direct, underwritten by Europa Group. I called them yesterday to update them with my new address. It's now locked in a garage as opposed to standing on the street, so I expected a discount, but no, they had the CHEEK to CHARGE ME £25 administration fee for changing my address! I threatened to report them to the OFT, they put me on hold, came back and said on this occasion they would waive the fee but any further alterations would be subject to the fee. Cheeky ****ers!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Bennetts have the worst reputation for ripoffs and small print , dont use them.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
sheepshearer

thanks for the heads up on automatic renewal - on the back of my certificate under endorsements it has:
Quote:
Automatic Renewal
This section only applies if you pay by direct debit, credit card or visa delta card.
To ensure you stay covered and to save you time, your policy including any optional products taken will automatically renew unless you contact us after you receive your renewal offer. To opt out of the automatic renewal process call Customer Services on 0844 412 2171.
a number i will be ringing this afternoon...
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
sheepshearer

made the call - it was no problem at all - didn't get the hard sell or anything - thanks moccers!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
alreadyinuse

My main gripe with bennets is that the renewal is always rubbish. But if you call them and tell them its rubbish they reduce it by quite alot.
Why cant they just give you the best price straight away save the fecking about.

I'm with swinton now they are just as cheely with charges etc but have an office in town where i can go and scream .