UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Carb balancer - recommendations?

Old 19-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Billbo

Carb balancer - recommendations?

Thought I’d have a go at this over winter. Any particular reasonably priced gear I should buy and advice?
Old 19-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
Macflurry

Bike: M900
I just grabbed a set like this for £25 which worked well enough for me:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Motor...item3ad1d74868

Just needed the little t-pieces after so you can restrict the pipes as much or as little as you like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Plastic-T-Shape-3-Way-Hose-Air-Line-Tubing-Control-Connectors/142953302161?hash=item2148ae4891:m:m1Z54rIq7W81gJ6-hYR5BLQ:rk:20f:0

Here's mine in use:

https://youtu.be/LqJftfd6Crw
https://youtu.be/LqJftfd6Crw

Last edited by Macflurry; 19-10-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

I've been using Morgan Carbtune for many years, easy to use and works very well.

http://www.carbtune.com/

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
There's overkill..

I have a bit of tubing with two restrictions (read smaller bit of tube) towards the middle where it's looped into a small coil. The balancing bit is a small bearing inside the tube.
Let the coiled bit dangle and the bearing sits the middle due to the magic of gravity.
Connect the ends to the intakes with adapters and off you go, just adjust till the bearing stays in the middle and all balanced.
Even done triples, V and in-line 4's with it.
Downside is the expense, probably under £5 as you tend to have to buy bearings in 10's. Oh and you do need some adapters.
Old 20-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Morgan Carbtune ,, brilliant for carbs and balancing EFI
Old 20-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
Macflurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
There's overkill..

I have a bit of tubing with two restrictions (read smaller bit of tube) towards the middle where it's looped into a small coil. The balancing bit is a small bearing inside the tube.
Let the coiled bit dangle and the bearing sits the middle due to the magic of gravity.
Connect the ends to the intakes with adapters and off you go, just adjust till the bearing stays in the middle and all balanced.
Even done triples, V and in-line 4's with it.
Downside is the expense, probably under £5 as you tend to have to buy bearings in 10's. Oh and you do need some adapters.
Ha, my brother uses this on his bikes. I was just having a lazy moment and couldn't be bothered to hunt the parts down so I just bought a cheap set of dials.

Saw him using them on his FZ750 and they work a treat.
Old 20-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have an old set of Morgan Carbtunes but find they are getting a bit "sticky" so I don't have much confidence in them now.
Have been using a pair of dials which work well enough, once the carbs are in balance according to the dials I swap them over to the opposite cylinders and re-test, just to have confidence that the dials are in balance.
A friend uses a single dial to a T-piece going to both cylinders and then clamps the two pipes to the cylinders one at a time, if the dial reads the same for both cylinders then the carbs are in balance ...
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
Billbo

Thanks chaps. I think I’ll try the macflurry route for cost effectiveness. Is there a how to somewhere and will I need to buy a tiny fuel vessel?
Old 22-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
Macflurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo View Post
Thanks chaps. I think I’ll try the macflurry route for cost effectiveness. Is there a how to somewhere and will I need to buy a tiny fuel vessel?
If you look at your inlet manifolds there may be a metal connector screwed into the side of each one. One of them should be hooked up to your fuel pump and the other may have a rubber cap over it, or you may just have a bolt in one of the holes.

Here's the part number for the metal connectors and the washer for them.

000075360 UNION
025070050 ALUMINIUM GASKET

You'll see them on the fuel pump part of the parts catalogue:

https://shop.oemducati.com/en/produc...-004462-009914

You connect each of the dials to these two points.

I just noticed that the dials in the link I originally posted come with the little plastic thumb screw connectors, they just faded into the background colour when I looked at the pic quick. So you can ignore the link I posted to those ones from China. I also ran mine using the fuel from the tank as it was still hooked up so no fuel vessel required.

Here's a decent giude on www.ducatisuite.com

Last edited by Macflurry; 22-10-2018 at 08:45 PM..