UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Removing 696 rear wheel nut.

Old 16-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
fingerpuk

Removing 696 rear wheel nut.

How? Mine seems stuck. Breaker bar broke. The bike is in bits so can’t get it to anyone with a rattle gun. I’ve put a fair amount of Plus Gas on, but I think it’s just tight. Anyone near Maidstone got a mains powered gun :-)
Old 16-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Only a rattle gun will them off, i very nearly snapped my breaker bar trying to get mine off. My mates snap on gun done it in seconds.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
boris
More Tools!

Bike: Multiple Monsters
After having the same issue with my EVO I bought one of these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...impact-wrench/

Never looked back, it is superb and also comes with a few impact sockets. I was lucky enough to get one during their frequent Vat-Free promotions. Their website shows a shop in your town?

You could also easily sell it on if the time comes

Last edited by boris; 16-10-2018 at 01:07 PM..
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
BigOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
How? Mine seems stuck. Breaker bar broke. The bike is in bits so can’t get it to anyone with a rattle gun. I’ve put a fair amount of Plus Gas on, but I think it’s just tight. Anyone near Maidstone got a mains powered gun :-)
The 696 axle has a nut either end and should only be torqued to 83Nm if I remember right.

Mine will spin when tightening/loosening unless I have a socket on each end.

If it doesn't undo with a breaker and doesn't spin when you try on one end it has seriously corroded or been massively over tightened.

Where near Maidstone I have a couple of options and a free Sunday if your still stuck by then.
Old 16-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
fingerpuk

I fear massively over tight. I’m near to West Malling, Wateringbury to be exact. I’ll try the other end.

It’s standard thread right? Not backwards?
Old 16-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Just a note, when you have removed the nut and want to reassemble the swinging arm, always use a small anount of Copperslip on the threads, this acts as a lubrcant and locking agent makng removle so much easier the next time.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
Only a rattle gun will them off, i very nearly snapped my breaker bar trying to get mine off. My mates snap on gun done it in seconds.
696 has a conventional swingarm, not SSS, so shouldn’t be that tight (unless the last wheel change was done by ‘bodgett & scarper’ who gunned it on)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
fingerpuk

Got it off. Attacked the other side first (still had to stand on the bar) and then the other side came off easy. Great.

BUT... the axle is seized. Rubber mallet won’t shift it. So more Plus Gas and waiting.
Old 16-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #9
BigOz

That's good news on the nuts.

Mine was corroded tight in the bearings the first time I removed it. I now grease it up with a corrosion resisting grease and pull it when doing other work on the bike to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 16-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Ron1000

Copper grease is great stuff but for spindle stuff get the proper red grease. Can't remember it's name but silkolene do it
Old 16-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Ron1000

Silkolene Pro RG2 Grease
Old 16-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
Luddite

Glad you got those nuts off. Perhaps a heat gun on the axle might help to free it off?

I'll second what Boris said about an impact wrench. I used to struggle with the (172N/m) rear wheel nut on my Evo until I bought a cordless Clarke wrench from Machine Mart. Now I wouldn't be without it.

I'd definitely recommend investing in one, either corded or cordless and also some dedicated impact sockets (normal chrome vanadium ones can shatter on an impact wrench). I don't know if you've removed the lower shock mounting bolt yet, but you may find that that's corroded too and an impact wrench may be the best way to tackle it. The allen head size is 8mm.

I use these with my wrench:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-IM...9/263632167157
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
BigOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
Got it off. Attacked the other side first (still had to stand on the bar) and then the other side came off easy. Great.

BUT... the axle is seized. Rubber mallet won’t shift it. So more Plus Gas and waiting.
I remembered how I got mine moving, one end of the axle has a longer thread than the other, I tightened the nut on that end making sure not to jam the nut on the end of the thread which pulled the axle a little to that side, then added spacers under the nut so I could keep pulling the axle out using the nut until it would move by hand.
Old 16-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
Copper grease is great stuff but for spindle stuff get the proper red grease. Can't remember it's name but silkolene do it

Was just on about the threads, but your right regarding using the red grease on the spindle it’s self.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote