UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Engine verrrrry smokey

Old 24-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Obviously the problem needs sorting but I thought Acetone was bad for rubber, Nitrile, Viton and Silicone.

Perhaps for the time it is in there it's not enough to cause a problem but I did a little search and this is what I found on the Web:

http://www.efunda.com/designstandard...SC=Acetone#mat
It isn't too good but isn't going anywhere near any problematic materials and should drop into the sump. The acetone is just there to dissolve the gunk and allow the oil to get into ring gaps, it will flash off in any case.
Learnt this from an american car nutter who refurbed old motors, it was quite expensive to use more exotic stuff on big V8's so if a cheapo mix would solve the problem without a major strip it was a good call.
Old 30-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #17
Big Daft Lad

Bike: M600
My compression tester arrived today, so I did a test. The results are pretty conclusive. First test on a cold engine with a wide open throttle showed 142psi on the front cylinder and only 42psi on the rear!

I then squirted some oil into the bores and did the test again and got 185psi on the front and 178psi on the rear.

Looks like it can only be the rings. I've dropped the oil and poured in half a bottle of Redex into the back cylinder that I had lying in the garage. Fingers crossed!
Big Daft Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 03:07 AM   #18
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Good luck, I hope it fixes it.
Old 23-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
Macflurry

Bike: M900
How did you get on with this?

I'm about to try it before resorting to rings and interested to hear if you had any improvement or not.
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #20
Big Daft Lad

Bike: M600
Didn't make any difference :-(

I'm thinking about punting the bike on as a project as I don't really have the time, funds or inclination to sort it out. I'm not sure what to do with it to be honest.
Big Daft Lad is offline   Reply With Quote