UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » clutch pack steel plate indent

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
clutch pack steel plate indent

guys.
as its a horrible day thought id finally get round to changing my clutch friction pack as is not knackered but has definitely got louder of late. while removing i noticed the steel plates had an indent on each one on the outside edge. these didnt seem to be lined up with anything i.e. the master lug and on looking in the workshop manual can find no mention of them.
It all seems to work fine does anyone know anything about them?
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
They were designed to perpetuate internet forums..
Old 06-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
vince53

Bike: M1100s
iv done the same in the past and found the same but couldn't find why ? I guessed it was something to do with balance ? so lined up with marked spring lug on basket ? just a guess someone here will know and say * )
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I suspect they are to make it easier to pull them out. I replace them staggered, around 3 or 4 teeth apart so that they're evenly distributed around the clutch.

If they were all together it would make a 'light spot' that would put the clutch pack out of balance, not sure if it would be enough to cause any problems but considering that the clutch runs at around half engine speed (up to 5k rpm-ish) it might?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
iv done the same in the past and found the same but couldn't find why ? I guessed it was something to do with balance ? so lined up with marked spring lug on basket ? just a guess someone here will know and say * )
Is the correct answer...

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I suspect they are to make it easier to pull them out. I replace them staggered, around 3 or 4 teeth apart so that they're evenly distributed around the clutch.

If they were all together it would make a 'light spot' that would put the clutch pack out of balance, not sure if it would be enough to cause any problems but considering that the clutch runs at around half engine speed (up to 5k rpm-ish) it might?
this is what i did as i thought the same. the pack would be imbalanced if all together. as long as they dont attempt to escape ill leave them be.
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote