UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi all, potential 1200S owner with a few Q's

Old 18-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Locke

Hi all, potential 1200S owner with a few Q's

Hi guys,

I currently own a BMW S1000R, but am selling up due to the amount of high frequency vibration it puts through the bars. Covered 6K since purchase in April and it's caused me some issues with the nerves in my hands. Bummer.

I'm looking at the 1200S as it looks like the best Ducati alternative, not as much bhp as the BMW, but more torque. I test rode the Streetfighter 848 earlier this year and liked it. However, thought the clutch was ridiculously heavy at the lever, and it was a little too race focused.

I'm test riding the 1200S on Sat, and am hoping I'll like its character, and that it won't be too vibey through the bars. I rode a friends 899 Panigale for a short while on Saturday and it felt great, nice and powerful, but with a much different nature to the S1000R. The Ducati felt beefier, and had a much lower, grunty nature to it than the highly strung BMW. So I'm hoping the 1200S will be a good option for me.

A couple of concerns from the reviews I've read so far, and I'm hoping you guys can help -

The dash, is the reflection on it as bad in sunlight as they say? If so, is there a solution out there, can a matte screen protector be fitted, or perhaps there's a decent fly screen out there that can offer some shade for better viewing?

How bad is this issue with the pillion pegs stopping you riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs? Is there a solution to this?

Also, anyone know the size of the screw that holds the bar ends on? I'll more than likely be changing those for heavier ones.

Cheers
Old 19-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Morning Locke.
You'll probably love the lower down grunt of the 1200, and it's certanly not slow.

The rear footpegs ARE a pain. They have been since the launch of the 1100, 100 EVO, 821 & 1200. All the same problem. The 1200R solves that. As far as I'm aware there isn't a solution because it forms part of the exhaust support.

Bar end will ikely just be an allan key like the other models.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Being unable to read the dash due to sunlight from a particular angle is a feature of the M1100 and M1100evo and I assume the 696 and 796. Don't see why the 1200 should be any different

I'm fairly certain that there are some rearsets for the 1200 that come with exhaust mounts and removable pillion peg brackets that therefore remove the obstruction to your heel. As JP said the 1200R also resolves this issue. Potentially therefore there could be parts from the 1200R that fit the 1200 to resolve the issue.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Locke

Thanks for the replies guys. Shame about the screen reflections not being resolvable. I've seen these pricey replacement pegs online so that could be an option to sort those -

http://conquestcarbon.com/product/du...1200-rearsets/

J.P, I meant the diameter of the bar end bolt, hopefully one of the 1200 owners will know, cheers
Old 19-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
slinemfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Shame about the screen reflections not being resolvable. I've seen these pricey replacement pegs online so that could be an option to sort those -

http://conquestcarbon.com/product/du...1200-rearsets/

J.P, I meant the diameter of the bar end bolt, hopefully one of the 1200 owners will know, cheers
I was looking at those from a curiosity point of view for the time being. There are some others around but they looked middle ground ones. Loving my new 1200s Stripe but not the weather!
Old 19-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I've spent two weeks, both during Italian Summers, riding 1200 & 1200S and never had an issue with the clocks. I love the ride by wire throttle that allows the bike to pull big throttle opening smoothly from tickover and also the brakes which are legend(wait for it)ary.
I'd definitely go for the S over the stock model if I was buying one.
I must be alone in being relatively unbothered by the r/h footrest/exhaust thing, I got used to it pretty quickly.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Locke

Thanks guys, what's that little screen on the bike in your avatar pic Slinemfc?

Slob, good to hear someone's not bothered by those 2 issues.
Old 19-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
slinemfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thanks guys, what's that little screen on the bike in your avatar pic Slinemfc?

Slob, good to hear someone's not bothered by those 2 issues.
It's the standard fly screen on the Stripe edition. On both the 821 and 1200s. Nothing special I'm afraid.
Old 20-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #9
Bonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
The rear footpegs ARE a pain. They have been since the launch of the 1100, 100 EVO, 821 & 1200. All the same problem. The 1200R solves that. As far as I'm aware there isn't a solution because it forms part of the exhaust.
I only have experience with the Evo, but I wasn't aware of the rear foot pegs interfering & I've got massive clod hoppers. I removed mine simply because I don't take a pillion.
Old 20-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The Mk3 Monster has a r/h pillion hanger that juts out to clear the exhaust collector.
Actually I found even less an issue with a pillion on, as I'm less inclined to move my feet around with the passengers feet right behind mine and generally don't ride quite as hard.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Yes granted, I'm talking about when I'm scratching around a racetrack. Less of a problem on normal roads.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
Hi Locke. I've recently dropped 1 tooth off my 1200s front sprocket. It makes the bike a lot smoother below 3k and in town riding is now a breeze. No chugging and instant pick up from zero is how it now feels. I changed both levers to adjustable Evotech items (a bargain from some nice fellow on here) which made the clutch much lighter with a smaller span. I've never had a big problem with sun on the screen that moving your head a little didn't solve. This bike is probably the best money I've ever spent.
I also don't find a problem with the footrest design. It felt quite natural to me after 10 minutes. Rubbish ground clearance if you intent to take it on track though still hilarious fun with the power and torque.

Last edited by Stinger101; 20-11-2015 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Adding text
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinemfc View Post
It's the standard fly screen on the Stripe edition. On both the 821 and 1200s. Nothing special I'm afraid.
Ah I see, I think it looks decent. Can't find it for sale anywhere online, so assume it can't be bought separately.

Thanks for the info Stinger. Dropping one tooth on the front makes the bike pick up quicker? Sounds interesting, you got a link to the part? Cheers
Old 21-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
Locke, I walked into my Ducati dealer - St Neots Motorcycles, Cambs, & asked him to order the part & fit it. It was that easy as I'm not a home mechanic by any means.
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
Locke

Thanks for the replies guys. Took the plunge today and am trading in my 2015 S1000R for a white 2015 1200S on Friday.