UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My S2R 800

Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I would go with the 10 low head SS from the bolt supplier, they are almost certainly A2 stainless which is nearly as strong as plated 8.8 high tensile and does not corrode as badly as the high tensile.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
I was always told the use of stainless on brakes was a definite NO due to its propensity to become brittle on heat cycles as found on brakes. I’ve always used titanium or standard HT if money was tight. Not sure if I’ve been wrongly informed but I like to be sure I’m going to stop when I pull the lever.

Pooh
Old 08-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I was always told the use of stainless on brakes was a definite NO due to its propensity to become brittle on heat cycles as found on brakes. I’ve always used titanium or standard HT if money was tight. Not sure if I’ve been wrongly informed but I like to be sure I’m going to stop when I pull the lever.

Pooh
I think that relates more to shear strength on caliper mounting bolts, rather than tensile strength on pinch bolts, however IT'S YOUR BRAKES! I'd happily pay 30 quid extra to be on safe side there
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
The hoses are fine and tbh I wouldn't be happy twisting the banjos, they are after all my brakes and have been made by people who know what they're doing. I don't need titanium pins (or nipples) as the calipers came with them, the bolts have been replaced with new plated steel (grade 12.9!) and are looking shiny.

No worries on the thread hi-jack about the tank, "tecknorace" in Italy is a name I have having searched, and there's a thread on here and other forums about the tank geoffduk (?) got for his monster that seems a bit lush.

it's just the £2k for a tank I'm struggling to hide from the wife, no, err justify as it'll mean I've spent more on upgrades to the suspension, brakes and tank than it cost to buy the thing in the first place. Mind you, with all the changes I've made and those done by others, it's probably worthless now...

Anyway, if you factor in man maths, it'll cost about £1700 for a new plastic tank from Ducati that will then need to be sealed and may expand in the future so it'll probably cost the same as an alloy one in the long run...

Last edited by Blah blah; 20-02-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Re, alu tank If we are talking about technorace in Italy, then following a very helpful exchange with Geoff on here to get some views and advice (he I think pioneered getting one from them). I ordered one, not with me yet but production very much underway all looking good so far. My S2R 1000 is a forever bike for me, tank issue not so bad on mine but it still spoiled my expensive custom paint job, so I’m doing what I can to upgrade it/future proof it whilst special parts etc are reasonably available... obviously it’s not cheap (luckily I’m in EU so not impacted by tax and import duties etc...) but if you’re going to keep your bike long term then it may be worth it to you to know the issue is sorted once and for all.

Cheers

David
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
Moco1961

David,

That’s the kiddy, from Geoffs post too!. I mailed them and they got back to me in a couple of hours.

Like you, mines a keeper so although it’s a huge hit there is no saying buying a replacement plastic one won’t do the same thing in the future.I had taken the precautions and it still failed.

I wonder if there are a few of us would they do a group discount
Old 20-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
slob

Ride to Italy, swap tanks, sell original on Italian eBay?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
Moco1961

Brilliant !!, not sure my existing tank would be worth very much though
Old 21-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
yellowfever

Yeah Alu tank is a big ask, but frankly my custom paint job was not cheap, so for me getting that redone on a plastic tank only to risk it happening again was not such an appealing idea... hence getting alu tank. Will be a while before I get it painted and fitted (once it gets delivered) but this at least spreads the costs out and ensures I get alu tank whilst still available... I know many people spent years trying to find one/get one made, so didn’t want to miss the chance. Our bikes getting more niche as the years go by...
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
Blah blah

Anyway, the new brakes work but I think that the new pads (EBC) may take a bit of bedding in as they felt a bit 'dead' to start with but after 70ish miles I didn't notice them as much. I was still trying to feel what was going on at the front though so something else to get used to.

Lever travel wasn't anything excessive or even a concern so I'm going to stick with the master cylinder as that means a bit more in the kitty for the tank
Old 03-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It's 20% tax plus shipping. Brexit? What bright sparks voted for that?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #12
uncle duke

Ordered a couple of bike related things from Germany recently & both were here within a week & no extra's to pay... was i lucky ? or is it a bit hit & miss ?
uncle duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Knob ends, lol

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #14
Blah blah

Turns out I've now had this for 5 years, and it's even better than when I bought it (which considering what I've done to it, it should be )

Old 12-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
Blah blah

And the Monster now has some competition for my limiting riding time...

748 bored to 853, tweaked ECU, Termis, ohlins rear and K tech front etc etc