UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New member not yet hunting for a Monster

Old 21-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
Eklektik

New member not yet hunting for a Monster

Hello all,
I joined the forum to get more knowledge on Monsters. I have been dreaming about owning one since my late teens in the late 90s (you can guess my age now - late 30s).
I read quite a lot here and there on them, I would like to buy one in the 3 years to come.
I am aiming at either a 600, 620 or 695.
A big question on which I never found a clear answer was whether I am too tall or not for either of these models. I am 6ft1, and I would like to know if that works with me.
I know that ideally I should try one but I don't know anyone who owns one.
Another slightly less important question is whether carbs are OK or if injection is better for a very limited yearly mileage.
I am not planning to ride the bike much, just sunny countryside rides now and then. I am no hard-core when it is about powered two-wheelers (I have my licence for a long time, rode a few very old 125cc and never owned a motorbike, it would be my first).
Thanks in advance for the welcome, I'll be reading much over the coming months.
Eklektik, from Bristol

Last edited by Eklektik; 21-06-2021 at 08:10 PM..
Old 21-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I'd go for a 750, 620, a 695. All or relatively 'modern' with fuel injection, it's going to be a bit cleaner running without much maintenance though the carbs work perfectly well. You aren't planning to be out on the bike when it gets frosty so icing isn't going to be a problem so you could go for a carbed 600 or 750. Given the choice of these the 750 is the peach to go for.
Over 6 foot most anything is going to look small but it'll fit, you might feel more comfy with the bars hiked up with risers but that's all pretty stock stuff and not at all difficult to do.

There are also a few 800's around in the standard 'monster' styling and the S2R which is the same motor but with a single side swinging arm and exhausts stacked on one side.

Get looking, get out and try one if you can but get one
Old 22-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Eklektik , I can't help as I've never ridden any of the little monsters but good luck with your search.
Old 22-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
welcome aboard and good luck with the search.
try to find a shop with one in the window and have a sit (unless a friendly local member turns up). 600-1000 they’re all roughly the same size.
to see if it suits your frame. it’ll still be bigger than most ‘old 125s’
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Current 620 owner, I'm 5'11" and same as you (still just!) late 30's and wanted a Monster since late teens. I'm pretty comfortable on the bike, but I guess it depends where your height is - if you have longer legs, then you may find it cramped. They are small, too small for a friend who's 6' 5" and he sat on my bike this lunch and looked comical!

The fuel injection on the >2000 models is great, a bit snatchy at low revs, but so little worry when it comes to not using the bike often as you might. The power is fine for A and B-roads - I have thought about an S2R as Nickj says, but I'm not really bothered about changing at the moment.
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
Darkness

Bike: M900
As said previously, all of the bikes are pretty much the same physical size in each model year, there’s an odd inch difference in saddle height due to more/less padding in the seat or adjustments in the ride height of the forks and rear shock, but that’s changeable anyway.

Any of the air-cooled monsters could suit you as they are tuned for mid-range torque rather than red lining. Even the M1100 evo only puts out about 95 bhp (At the crank).

That all changed with the liquid cooled S4 with the motor from the 916! They are just a tad more peaky.

Personally I favour the M900, and at 6’ 3” no one laughs to my face about the bike being too wee!
Old 23-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #7
Eklektik

Thanks for the welcome!
Glad I asked as your advice on which model to get has widened a bit my search (looking now also at 750ie).
I read the 695 had adjustable suspensions vs the older 600/620, which could make the riding position slightly better, but I may be wrong. Is that what you mean Darkness? Can the adjustment be done simply?
@Velosam: what do you mean about "a bit snatchy at low revs" for injection models?
I am not after big power, so I'll pass on the M1100 with its 95bhp
Best,
E.
Old 23-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklektik View Post
Thanks for the welcome!
@Velosam: what do you mean about "a bit snatchy at low revs" for injection models?
E.
Maybe it's just mine, but it seems like it's willing to go when setting off in first when you open the throttle - nothing that would put me off to be honest. I guess that I just imagine modern EFI systems are a bit more progressive.
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The scratchiness is usually caused by the Euro emmisions regulations which mean the ECU is programmed to be lean at low revs. It's the same for all of them remap or PCIII custom map should sort this no problems. The sub 3k RPM map is too lean, even the DP map/ECU has the same issue.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklektik View Post
….I read the 695 had adjustable suspensions vs the older 600/620, which could make the riding position slightly better, but I may be wrong. Is that what you mean Darkness? Can the adjustment be done simply?
There are a few different thicknesses of saddle, all on the same base, plus corbin sergeant and other “comfort” saddles that have thicker padding so raise you up a little relative to the footpegs and handlebars.

The footrests and handlebars are often changed too, to something more sporty, more upright or just different.

The bike can be made a little taller at the front by dropping the forks in the yokes, and the same at the rear (To maintain steering geometry) by adding spacers above the wishbone ball joints (Early) or lengthening the adjustable tie rod (Later) or getting an adjustable one if not already fitted. The side stand may need to be lengthened to suit if you do this. Plenty of threads on here to describe these changes and the outcome.

All pretty easy to do provided you take it slowly in balanced steps so as not to get nasty surprises when you next ride it!
Old 23-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
slob

‘Sie’ models have an adjustable tie rod, ‘ie’ models don’t.
All have rebound damping and preload adjustmemt at the rear.
None of them have adjustable forks.
750/800(s)ie are relatively rare, they were only made for a year each, then replaced by S2R 800 in ‘04. if your budjet will stretch consider an S2R
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #12
motomartin11

Bike: M750
I used to run a low mileage 04 620i-it was my first Monster and Ducati although I'm also a fan of Moto Guzzi's. I'm about 5' 11 and didn't find it too small but I loved the light weight compared to some other bikes I have owned. I now have an early carbed 750 which is much less refined than the 620i but in a good old school way-it also seems a tad more torquey and powerful. The 750 is more temperemental whereas the 620i could just be ridden without having to be nursed along in traffic.I would imagine the 750ie and later models are easier to live with......
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote