UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New member in Lincolnshire

Old 24-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #46
Omar

Bike: M1100evo
Maxton is definitely the best way to improve the forks but also the most expensive. At least £250 more expensive than K-Tek mods. Unlike the rear suspension, there is no way to recoup the money spent on forks. It's a total loss. More time with the bike and comments on this forum will help determine which way to go.
Meanwhile, I found a Ducati Performance seat on eBay and now awaiting its arrival. Would have preferred a Corbin or Sargent having tried both on other bikes, but hopefully the former will fit the bill (and the bike)?
A couple of questions. If you guys with the Evo's are going on a trip, what spares do you take (are there known common failures)?
Secondly, where do you buy spares and service items? I have no idea as to the better retailers.
Thanks in advance.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #47
Flip

Bike: M900
Agreed, although if you were desperate I guess you could swap in a pair of standard forks and punt on the Maxton ones hoping to get some of the outlay back?

Personally, with the original Marzocchi forks in my 900 I was limited in my options plus I’ve owned my Monster twenty years now so can’t see me selling it anytime soon So I guess it depends how bad you feel the Evo forks are for you for which route you take there.

I’m sure if there are Evo specific issues people will shout up but as for kit to take I would say the usual cable ties, insulation tape, multi-tool (mostly for knife & pliers), spare fuses (& ‘General Relay’ for the early bike’s) and a tyre repair kit.

As for genuine parts, Moto Rapido every time- what Luke and Craig don’t know isn’t worth knowing plus you’ll get a 10% discount just for mentioning UKMOC.

For timing belts I’ve been using ExactFit which are a fair bit cheaper than the recently inflated Ducati prices for the older bikes- not sure how they would compare to your Evo.

Last edited by Flip; 24-12-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #48
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Second the above^^^^
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #49
Omar

Thanks for that Flip. Reference spares to carry, what I was thinking was, for instance, when I had a 916 I carried a voltage regulator if I went anywhere as they were prone to failure.
Old 24-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #50
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Thanks for that Flip. Reference spares to carry, what I was thinking was, for instance, when I had a 916 I carried a voltage regulator if I went anywhere as they were prone to failure.
I'm not aware of any inherent problems with the Evo that are likely to leave you stranded. You certainly don't hear of the frequent regulator failures that troubled the early Monsters. The mounting position of the 696/797/1100 regulators is better than the first generation Monsters as it's out in the breeze inside the right-hand air duct so the unit probably has an easier life than on the early models. I certainly wouldn't bother carrying a spare.

The only time I've needed to be recovered was when my injection relay, (situated under the tank), worked it's way loose and no longer made proper contact. All it needed was to be pushed fully home. A cable tie over the top and under the socket stops it coming loose again. If you're planning a long trip, you might want to lift the tank, check your relays are secure and cable tie them in as a precaution.

Because you can't just hinge up the tank as you could with the early Monsters, the only 'extras' I'd suggest you take with you are the allen keys and 8mm spanner you need to lift the tank - with those, you'll be able to access the battery, relays and ECU if necessary.

Oh, and when I used to tour, I carried one of these 2l plastic fuel cans https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike...-/121631698343

It doesn't take up much room and gives you a 20-25 miles safety net.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #51
Flip

Yeah they always say the early single phase charging systems are weak but my 1997 bike has never given trouble despite its undersized wire gauge.

I replaced all the starter circuit cabling a few years ago which made a huge difference to the way the motor now turns over and I’m currently in the middle of replacing (the still working) original regulator/rectifier with a Shindengen MOSFET unit from an R1 along with the associated charging cables which are all starting to show their age.

All things that you shouldn’t need to worry about with an Evo though I should imagine.

Have you got a trip in mind (Covid travel permitting obviously)?
Old 24-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #52
Omar

Yes Flip, I always have a trip in mind. Though I have another bike for serious long distance travel. I will be having a look for some minimalist luggage for the bike at some point. I am sure a forum search will throw up some ideas, but not a priority at the moment.

Good to hear the Evo has no inherent weaknesses Luddite. Pity I didn't know about the injection relay a few days ago when the tank covers were off. One to remember for next time.

That fuel can is a good idea with the bike having such a small range. I have not worked out any fuel consumption figures yet, but I guess 100 miles is the most you would travel before looking for fuel? Again a topic I can research on this forum.
Old 24-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #53
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
I will be having a look for some minimalist luggage for the bike at some point. I am sure a forum search will throw up some ideas, but not a priority at the moment.
If security isn't an issue, then there are plenty of soft luggage options available, both generic and Ducati Performance (expandable).

Soft panniers
Ducati Performance did some semi-rigid panniers (96777308B), which are a decent size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Side-...b/333790585830

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Borse...b/264554261457

Tank bag
There's also a dedicated tank bag (96767109B).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MO...m4383.l4275.c1

Tail pack
Or, if you're not taking a pillion, the DP tail pack (96766709B) is useful (I've got one myself).

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...83&postcount=3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-SEAT...d/293921061682

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BORSA-POS...5/264979883422

Another member on here, Starla, was recently selling a DP tail pack and Bagster tank bag, which, I think are still available.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58800

You could send him a PM if you're interested, (or maybe an email would be better as he may not be using the forum anymore laurencejjohn@yahoo.co.uk).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #54
Omar

Luggage

Thanks Luddite. Lots of options there.
Old 25-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #55
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Omar I’ve got a Ducati tail pack that I bought for the wife’s 620 which we never used if you want to try it on yours.

Ian
Old 25-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #56
Omar

Thanks Ian. I have an offer pending on eBay for this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-SEAT...53.m2763.l2649

Is yours the same type?
Old 26-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #57
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Similar to that
Old 27-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #58
Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Similar to that
What I liked about the one on eBay was the over lap down the sides of the seat. I already have a bag that just sits level on the seat.
Old 27-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #59
Leamreject

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If we’re sharing pics

Old 28-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #60
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

^^^^^^ I think you have the rim tape on the wrong way round, the Italian flag reading from left to right is: Green, White, Red. Your wheels in the direction of rotation are Red, White, Green.
Obviously, just joking and have too much time on my hands
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote