UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Flaming RR51

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Flaming RR51

Can’t believe I nearly lost the old Girl this evening.

What is left of the Electrix World RR51 that was fitted to my 97 M900:

Having spent most of the last two days fixing my sons Tiguan I finally got the chance for a quick run out on the M900.

I only got a few miles up the road when I thought I caught a glimpse of a flickering red light on the dash, I stopped, couldn’t see anything amiss and had no red light, but headed for home anyway just in case.

About 3 miles from home on a duel Carriageway section of the A3 just before I was due to come off at the slipway the Charging light came on, the bike started to lose power and pop and bang, then the engine cut out altogether.

As I coasted to a halt on the side of the road I was enveloped by a cloud of smoke which smelt horrible.

I turned the ignition off, jumped off and saw quite large flames coming from under the headstock.
My first reaction was to rip my helmet off and try to blow the flames out, which of course was useless, every time I blew them out the red hot hole in the top of the Reg/Rec reignited with a spark.

Next I tried to smother the flames with my hankie, but just succeeded in burning a couple of fingers.
I blew the flames out a couple more times before I remembered the RR51 is connected directly to the battery by the charging wires, so whipped out my penknife and cut the +ve feed to the battery which was easily accessible.
Next time I blew the flames out they stayed out. Fhew!

My next thought was how long I was going to have to wait for the AA, and could I push it the few miles home which was mainly going to be uphill, but then thought I could disconnect the input charging wires to the RR51, plus the other wires, try to start it, then get the couple of miles home on what power was left in the battery.

I disconnected and cut all the wires, the ignition came on OK but the starter sounded like it was just spinning in fresh air and not turning the motor over.
Just as I was thinking about how this could be connected a fire engine turned up with it’s Blue lights flashing, blocked the inside lane of the road and one of the firemen explained a passing motorist had called 999.

They were happy I’d put the fire out, but wanted me off the side of the road as quickly as possible.
I told them I thought I could ride it home if I could get it started, but they didn’t believe me saying it would never run.

Not wanting to waste any battery power on trying the starter motor again I thought I’d bump start it as I was facing downhill.
The firemen agreed to let me have a go, so took my details, I thanked them and pushed off down the hill.
It started immediately and ticked over nicely, so I waved to the firemen, I’m sure I saw them shaking their heads, and got home OK.