UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Keihin FCR or Mikuni TDMR

Old 14-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Nottsbiker

Question Keihin FCR or Mikuni TDMR

Hi All,

First off I would stick with my stock 38mm carbs for now as I'm going to be running a stock 900ie lump in my Monster to get it on the road and later on return to a carbed but 944cc lump so don't immediately need flat-slides. Unfortunately the CV carbs are totally shot with all rubber seals perished and to make matters even worse the air screws are rounded off and seized in which to fix would leave me with roughly a £300 bill to put right.

Along with my longer term engine plans I will also be running the following upgrades from day one;

Silmotor headers & open cans
MWR air box filter lid
Lightened flywheel (not sure if this will fit the IE lump though = ??)
Exactfit coils

Because I have knackered carbs and some performance upgrades already I've decided to go with flat-slides now but cant decide between the two brands. So far I've come to the following conclusions;

Keihin FCR 41mm - common / tuneable / no choke - approx. £1500

Mikuni TDMR 40mm - uncommon in UK / apparently less tuneable / retains choke - approx. £1000

I know the FCR's are good but expensive, however does anyone have any input on the TDMR's?

Thanks - Ben
Old 14-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Plenty of TDMR kits around and are a good carb very much fit and forget, but as you have already discovered not much info on them, back in the day only Suzuki favoured Mikuni on their race machines everybody else went with Keihin, that in itself tells a story.

They are good very reliable and stay in tune way better than an FCR easier to setup but they don't give the same sharp power delivery also they don't give that lovely noise you get from properly set up FCR's, don't expect to find massive amounts of good tuning tips/tech info on them because it does not exist unless you can speak Japanese or American as they are very common upg on Hardley's

Useless bit of info Mikuni sizes are always even 36,38,40mm
-----------------------Keihin are odd 39,41mm

Depending on what you want from your motor ?

Should you wish to ring every last horse it has to offer then FCR

If your going for modest performance upg the TDMR's are a good choice, smooth reliability with performance upg, way better fuel efficiency, just a better all round carb then the stock 38's, plus as you say you get to keep your choke and save a few quid

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
Nottsbiker

Thanks for the update! I did not know that the TDMR was such a soft upgrade and assumed flat-slides all gave a similar boost in performance. As I want to be able to accommodate a big bore kit at a later date it makes me lean towards the FCR's at this stage.

Wish I could find a set for sale second hand some where!
Old 15-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

They are by no means a soft upgrade, and will work very well with the 944, what I meant was they are a good carb just not the all out race proven unit the FCR's are.

Old 15-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Nottsbiker

Hmmmn not sure now which way to go = ???
Old 15-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Keihins will be more available I would think. Can't you get a set of 4 and split them and make 2 sets? There are a few on ebay. You'd have to buy the Ducati fitting kits I suppose but may be a cheaper option

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Nottsbiker

Cheers - I've emailed a few companies but not heard back yet...

Allens down the road from me are suppliers of both brands but are top of the tree when it comes to price.

Mikuni at Allens approx. £1100 + VAT

Mikuni at Allens suppliers in Germany approx. E 940 - they wont supply the UK as Allens are their agents here...

Might buy some FCR is USA and get shipped via family but trouble is would probably get stung for import taxes.
Old 15-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Kato
Dismantled

Nothing to stop you spending £30 with easyjet to make a purchase in Germany

Old 15-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
jerry
Old Git

what about lectrons ,, very simple and tunable and very reliable ,,
Old 16-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Nothing to stop you spending £30 with easyjet to make a purchase in Germany
Only feeding my dog! But yeah a sensible suggestion
Old 16-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
what about lectrons ,, very simple and tunable and very reliable ,,
Never knew they were available for Ducati's only ever heard of LC's running them
Old 16-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I have a kit comprising a pair of FCR39s and the associated fittings awaiting fitment.
It might be a while before I get round to doing that.
In the meantime, I will have the carbs and all the bits (inlet stubs etc) to hand, should you wish to check on exactly what's necessary to convert a bank of four carbs to suit a monster.
I wondered about doing exactly that myself, but then I got a deal on a kit just before the post-brexit price hike.

You could try "Exige" on the other forum.
He's an agent for Chris Kelley / Cal. Cycleworks and sells their exactfit belts.
I'm pretty sure he could source the FCRs too.
I doubt the price would be much different tbh, but if you don't ask .....
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Nottsbiker

Cheers Utopia - I'll make contact with Exige as I've bought starter cables and exact fit coils from him previously and been very happy with the service
Old 16-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I don't think Ca Cycleworks deal in carbs any more? Pretty sure I read somewhere that they weren't anyway...

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I got mine from Power Barn http://power-barn.com/brands/Keihin.html but it was some years ago when they cost less and the exchange rate was significantly better than now.

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote