UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Reversing a 696 tail tidy - putting OEM teatray back

Old 29-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Reversing a 696 tail tidy - putting OEM teatray back

Hi,

The new low mileage 696 I'm buying ("Secundus") is pretty standard, except that the previous owner did a tail chop and fitted the R&G tail tidy, and a silly little number plate.

I've asked him to fit a standard size number plate before I pick up the bike, so I'm hoping (from previous threads here) that this will fit on the tail tidy, rather than being stuck with an illegal size plate until I fit a tea tray.

Unfortunately he doesn't have the original tea tray.

Assuming I can find an original tea tray (will post on the wanted thread) how easy is it to undo a tail chop?

The guy I'm buying the bike from said that fitting the tail tidy, the fiddly bit was to do with the key and the mechanism for releasing the seat.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
Have you completely worn the other 696 out now?!
Old 29-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Andy says yes!

I'm keeping the original one (currently on just under 70,000 miles) and still want to get it to 100,000 miles, but it has been off the road rather too frequently this year due to stuff wearing out/seizing up.

Andy replaced the starter motor a few weeks back, and then when I took it for a new front tyre last weekend, helpful George at Micheldever pointed out that front brake pads were wearing unevenly (one down to the metal) due to a sticking piston, so I'm getting replacement brake calipers fitted (Jonzi's old ones off his 796) hopefully in time for the Weekender.

I really need a second bike so I've always got one in working order to commute on. (The trains are so unreliable). I had contemplated buying a 125/250 boring commuter bike but it would always feel like a let down if I had to use it, so the answer is to have 2 696s so that I'd always be happy to take the spare bike!

I won't have the new bike in time for the Weekender - it needs an MOT and a belt service, so as part of the deal, the seller is getting Riders in Cardiff to do this before I collect it in a couple of weeks.
Old 29-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
Haha, well done you! See you next week
Old 29-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsC_772 View Post
Assuming I can find an original tea tray (will post on the wanted thread) how easy is it to undo a tail chop?
Don't worry! There is no actual 'chop' involved in fitting the tail tidy. It's not like the subframe on the classic Monster where part of the frame rails is removed and so is completely reversible.

However, there are an awful lot of parts needed so this diagram might be helpful to show what you'll need and how it all goes together:

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
It should only be the plastic parts and the plate hanger A lot of them parts stay with the shorty one
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
holty

Bike: M1100
There are plenty of the original parts on fleebay and the job putting it back to standard should be straightforward enough. The one thing to watch out for as I have found is that the OEM tray is weak where the indicator attaches. I managed to supaglue mine back on after a minor prod with my motorcycle boot. I now have the Ducati Performance tail tidy and LED indicators which I’m pleased with. The downside is road grime over me! Good luck!
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
It should only be the plastic parts and the plate hanger A lot of them parts stay with the shorty one
As Albie says, many of the pieces in the diagram will still be on the new tail tidy. If the R&G one is anything like my DP one, then you will need the following parts from the diagram:

1, 3, 6, 7(x3), 9, 10(x3), 15(x3), 24 & 27. You might also need the original seat latch release cable (21) if the R&G kit came with a shorter version, (like the DP one).

Of course, if you can get a second hand mudguard, most, if not all, of the fiddly little bits should still be attached.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Mart 64 had my original one with the bike. Im trying to remember whether Ryan Horton gave me his too as when he went to NZ he gave me loads of 696 parts. I will check my garage loft but all I remember seeing was oil cooler sides..
Old 29-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Sadly I don't have it. What I do have for a 696/796/1100 is oem oil cooler frame and sides , a oem front sprocket cover and the oem plastic number plate X frame.
Old 29-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
Doggy

Bike: M796
It was a fiddle fitting my R&G one to my 796 so I assume reverse will be the same faff . You have to take the origina seatl lock and cable out which was the biggest pain . Then when fitted it wouldn't release the seat and I couldn't get the key out of it! .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Thank you all for the tips! Thank you also Albie for rummaging in your garage loft.

Riders gave me a print out of the diagram with the parts list (with Ducati part numbers) and prices, which I've matched up with Luddite's list of what parts I might need.

I will have a hunt on fleabay for a tea tray and mudflap.

Holty - I know all about the weakness of where the indicators fit onto the OEM tea tray. On Primus (my - newly named after only 8 1/2 years of ownership - original high mile 696) the left hand rear indicator on the original tea tray was Araldited back into place at least 3 times after I accidentally kicked it getting on and off the bike. One of the silver linings from when I was hit by a numpty in a Civic in February was that the damage to the left hand indicator was more severe, so his insurers bought me a new tea tray! I dare say sooner or later the Araldite and Zuru strap (to hold it back in place while the glue sets) technique may be needed again.
Old 29-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Doesn't seem to be much on eBay. Been scouring as I do. USA and Australia yes. There must be a Uk garage with an unwanted one. They seemed quite common a while back. Maybe everyone's going oem resto mad. It seems to be catching.
Old 29-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Threw mine away about 18 momths ago, when we moved house; Tried to sell it but no one wanted it.

Doesn't help much, sorry.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Seeing as my old bike currently has Jonzi's old front mudguard (bought off UKsurfer), will soon have his old front brake calipers, and I have his old seat cowl and bikini fairing, it would have been funny if Jonzi did still have the old teatray, as it would have added to my garage's slow transformation into Jonzi's old 796 ...

Albie - if you do see anything on fleabay when you're hunting for bits for your own project bikes, that would be great.

I've found and snapped up the part no 1 mudflap on ebay - Ducati Glasgow were selling one, but the only part no 3 number plate holder on ebay appears to have a large piece of gaffa tape round the middle which is somewhat offputting!