UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Valve Shims

Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #16
analogue_rogue

yeah spiders web cafe.. im in quarters here. its where im stationed..
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
analogue_rogue

just to revive this thread as the monister is coming off the road at the end of the month... for stripping and spraying of the engine!!! and some help with the valve shims?
Old 17-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #18
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Only just spotted your last post. Offer still stands for borrow of micrometer. I've got a spare closing shim that you could practice on too. Will bring them if/when I'm over that way in the near future, or you could collect if you're in the Leicester area.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
analogue_rogue

no rush.. the bike isnt sorn until end of oct... but to be honest could do with your help if you have done it before.. so once i have the bike strippd and the heads off then i can give you a shout if you pm me your number? prob wont be until mid nov though...
Old 17-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Happy to help. I've only done it once before, but went VERY slowly, the main aim being to learn all the angles and pitfalls for future reference (cos I'm NEVER going to sell this bike), so I reckon I've got a pretty good handle on it now. Remind me via pm when you're ready and we can take it from there.
By the way, you mention taking the heads off.....No need for that. Just raise the tank, release the oil cooler fixings (leaving the pipes connected) and remove the rocker covers.
I'm assuming that you have a rear paddock stand so the engine can be turned over via the rear wheel...?
Old 19-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #21
analogue_rogue

im gonna remove head ans im gonna spray the engine up and put black barrels with aluminium grey heads and crank.... i have the paddock stand.. so it may be eassier once i have sprayed the engine and reassembled.. but i think its probably easier with the head off....
Old 19-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #22
Chris & Nean

I measured clearances and took my old shims + values for the clearances to my local Ducati dealer (JHP in Cov) and the parts guy measured up my old shims and gave me appropriate sized replacements. Luckily they was a tiny bit oversized, so I carefully ground em down a bit to correct measurements on a bit of 240 carberundum paper.
Old 20-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #23
utopia
No turn left unstoned

If the heads are coming off anyway, then doing the valve clearances will be a relative breeze.
Old 20-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #24
analogue_rogue

cool beans ill drop you a pm closer to the time
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
analogue_rogue

update... heads are off.. i have a micrometer this weekend.. but i cant get this damn measuring tool! and im a little too tight to pay £24 for something ill use a couple of times..... any trusting people out there have one i can borrow?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #26
analogue_rogue

Never mind. Valves sorted!!!!!
Old 16-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #27
a7avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Anyone notice in the second vid that he torqued the top left valve cover cap head twice and forgot to torque down the top right...Ooops.
Old 13-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
Si7

Very interesting vids, wondered how the valve gear worked. Why did he push down the closing rocker to measure the closing clearance though? What force is he trying to overcome?
Old 19-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
urbanfireblade

Theres a closing spring that is looped around the pivot shaft, pushing down on the rocker arm removes any pressure the spring is applying.
Old 20-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #30
Murray Mint

Bike: M900
But where are you guys getting your shims from what with all this bloody COVID-19 and the likes and bike shops being shut?

I have a natty little Excel file that helps with the calculation if anyone is interested, it's not my work and originally it was used for an ST3. is there a way of uploading a file to the forum?
Murray Mint is offline   Reply With Quote