UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » 600 dark rebuild.

Old 14-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #76
clankie

Hi I will post the cost off the rebuild . And I will have a think about doing the rebuild thread or I could do it like a question and answer theme . Well if you want me to rebuild your s4 you supply the parts but it will need extensive road testing after the rebuild by me Spain and back should do
Old 18-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #77
clankie

well time for another update from project monster .well tank has been fitted and engine fired into life again just need to set the mixture on the carbs and finsh some little jobs like fitting the indicators once i decied which ones to fit .so here are some pics off the nearly finshed monster .

Old 18-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #78
bluestoesonnose

Well done, looks great.
Old 18-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #79
Dirty

It does look very pretty!
Old 18-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #80
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
looks great, 6 weeks start to finish is very impressive.

you're going to want to point the headlight down a bit for the MOT ;-)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #81
clankie

glad everyone is liking my rebuild glad to get any feed back good or bad .
Old 18-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #82
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
looks great, 6 weeks start to finish is very impressive.

Certainly does, well done.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #83
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Great project and impressive end result

Not really digging the chopped front mudguard - crap from front wheel will get up under the tank

Last edited by gary tompkins; 18-05-2013 at 11:58 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #84
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I reckon you'll end up fashioning some sort of heel guards to keep your boots off the link pipes. I'm with GT on the front guard but of it's the look
you're after then go for it. I'd consider red tie wraps to keep the wiring on the frame too

Last edited by slob; 19-05-2013 at 12:32 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #85
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
That's looking really nice.

Its maybe a small point, but I really like the blackened headlamp mount and yokes, which simplify the look of the forks.

On the other hand, I agree with the others about the front mudguard. Though a carbon extenda might sort it ..?

I notice that you've junked the plastic pods.
When I did this I found that it left the reg/rec multiconnectors very exposed to rain (mine were wet after 2 miles in drizzle).
I moved mine up by the coils where they stay dry, but in leiu of that I'd suggest greasing them well with a suitable electrical grease (or Vaseline maybe).

On the subject of indicators ....
A minimal look is nice, but I find that many of the aftermarket indicators that I see are too small, too short and too feeble to really work properly ...which could be a safety issue.
But for me, the clincher is the curvy tea tray, which I like the look of ...because the std indicators fit properly to it, creating a continuous curvy structure, whereas many aftermarket ones create a massive mismatch at the joint.
So I'd stick with std ones.

It looks like it sits at a decent height with the rear hoop extenders and the forks dropped in the yokes.
This is something I've been thinking about doing to my 750 ....For one thing I'm quite tall, and I also often wonder whether the extra height would give me a bit more body leverage over the bike, making it easier to muscle about.
On the other hand, with rearsets that keep my feet away from the ground, I now kinda enjoy how ridiculously close to the ground my body gets on my favourite bends.
So ....I'd be interested to hear how you find the handling.

Oh, and I can't see a sidestand cutout switch fitted.
In my recent experience, that can catch you out.

Nice job.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #86
clankie

Thanks for the feedback guys. Well when I ordered the mudguard I thought it was a full mudguard not a chopped down one so it may be getting changed when funds allow, and I'm with you Slob on the black cable ties, I haven't found any red ones yet that dont look pink in colour. As for heel guards I have laid up some carbon sheet to cut out for heel guards but I might try the bike out first before I fit them as I ride with my feet on the ends of the pegs . On the indicator front I haven't made my mind up, I have seen some Rizoma ones which are nice but they aren't cheap so if anybody on here is using them I would be grateful on your veiws on them before I buy a set and find they are rubbish . As Utopia mentioned the bike sits at a decent height, I am 5:10 and weigh in at a chunky 90kgs when I got the bike the suspension had been set up really badly that when you started to push the bike into corners it started to tuck the front and if you touched the front brake while leaned over it would head straight for the nearset hedge !! so I reset everything and prior to the rebuild it handle really well so it should be interesting to see if anything has changed a good run round Snowdonia should do. On the cable routing and plugs I will be soldering the connections for the voltage reg as the plugs are rubbish and will only be a source of trouble. Really like the feedback, any more greatly received.
Old 19-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #87
Dirty

I like the front mudguard

Agree about the cable ties. They bug me even when the colour matches. There must be a better solution to hold and hide the cables.
Old 19-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #88
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I like the front mudguard

Agree about the cable ties. They bug me even when the colour matches. There must be a better solution to hold and hide the cables.
When I did my s4 I marked where all the rubber straps went. Then on the inside I drilled and pop riveted some aluminium tabs to which the wiring attached thus not seeing the bands when it was powdercoated red.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #89
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
When I did my s4 I marked where all the rubber straps went. Then on the inside I drilled and pop riveted some aluminium tabs to which the wiring attached thus not seeing the bands when it was powdercoated red.
You drilled holes in the frame?
Old 19-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #90
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

yes very small holes in very few places and then filled with a rivet. There are holes in frames for various reasons you may have seen them on most bikes. Would you be scared to do such a thing then.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote