UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » M1000 track bike

Old 18-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #76
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, my mum had one too.
Wish I still had it now.
Later we had a very early automatic which used to keep my dad busy trying to repair the massively complex mechanical timer which expolded in a shower of tiny springs and contacts if you so much as looked at it..........probably on a monday evening.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #77
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Picked up the cases this morning, beautiful job by

Dave at TSR.

I'll try and do a microscopic inspection this week.

Last edited by slob; 20-04-2013 at 12:34 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #78
zhango

Yes nice job - they look great.
(Bad link for TSR by the way)
Old 20-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #79
slob

cheers Zhango, link fixed.

Going to give them another couple of wash blow drys before painting. They will just fit in the oven :-D
Old 20-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #80
zhango

'Fit in the oven' - an understanding wife then?
From the TSR site they do say
Quote:
The parts are then returned to a hot wash tank to flush through the oil feed galleries etc of any remaining glass bead, once flashed dried on exiting the washer the parts are sprayed with a corrosion inhibitor & packed ready for dispatch.

Whilst every care is taken to ensure there is no glass bead remaining we do advise that you rewash all parts again before fitting.
The hot tank sounds a good idea to me because if there was any glass embedded the case should expand and release it. I guess advising you to rewash they are just covering themselves.
If they use ACF-50 then I guess you need a solvent for it rather than a water wash?
Old 20-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #81
slob

As I keep explaining to our Belgian friends: she's not 'Mrs. slob', she's 'slobette'... in any case Thuli's an absolute legend!

I asked Dave about cleaning the heads for you. He used the ultrasonic carb cleaner, as for the paint removal chemical he described it as his "Trade secret, that I've just discovered gets the paint off Ducati heads", since the usual 'dip' he uses wasn't touching it.

I will be washing with water/detergent and solvent before attacking with an air-line, off to look at VHT paint now

Last edited by slob; 20-04-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Old 20-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #82
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
We need a like button on this forum, or maybe not as threads like this would bust it.

Good skills on lunching the bearing

Loving the finish of the cases.
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #83
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
'... in any case Thuli's an absolute legend!
Here here!

Bike bits look great, excited to see the finished result. How many extra bhp are you expecting? I hope enough to the sports bikes a run for their money on the straights as well as the corners now.... :-)
Old 27-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #84
slob

The surface looks like this at 200x magnification

I've yet to find anything that's recognisably a glass bead.

Thanks to Mintyhit for the loan of the USB microscope.
Old 27-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #85
zhango

Fascinating stuff - so what do you think are the white sparkly bits?

I'm not saying they are bits of glass of course!
Old 27-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #86
slob

That's light reflecting off the aluminium surface, a glass bead would be vast at that magnIfication, I've been trying to find one in a thread or oilway for comparison.
Old 27-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #87
zhango

Ok, fair enough but we don't know what size the glass particles are? You may know the size of media used but when it hits the component it can break up despite the claims that it doesn't.

I know all the vapour blasters talk about the cushioning effect of the water and say the glass bead doesn't break up but there are a lot of variables - the ratio of water to blast media, the velocity of the jet, the angle that the blast media hits the component and how close the nozzle is to the component. The glass particle has to hit the component or it won't do anything?

I've looked at usb microscopes and they aren't expensive so I'm thinking of getting one and looking at components I've blasted with my dry cabinet to see what they look like compared to yours.

Thanks for doing the microscope thing - we can always learn something new!
Old 28-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #88
zhango

I've just got back from the Stafford Classic Bike Show and had a chat with a guy who runs a casting renovation service here

He uses vapour blasting and says that despite claims to the contrary, the process does leave embedded particles and it is essential to do a 2nd op to remove them.

He uses both chemicals and a vibratory process - the firm you used (TSR) use a hot wash tank and also ask you to wash the parts again to ensure there are no glass beads remaining.

As you can't see any glass under the microscope things sound ok but my opinion is it was worth checking
............perhaps another hot wash wouldn't do any harm though - just to make sure?
Old 28-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #89
slob

I'm not really that worried, although I will be solvent and detergent washing before VHT paint.
Some very well known tuners use TSR. The recommendation to rewash is Dave covering himself.
Whilst I've obviously only spot checked the cases, I've failed to find any traces of anything untoward.
To give you an idea of the crystaline surface in the earlier photo, these are mm graduations on a steel ruler.

I'd expect blast media to be 0.5-0.6mm
Old 28-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #90
slob

I dropped off most of the gearbox, for 'superfinishing' at Moto Rapido yesterday and picked up a big bag of new o-rings, bearings and oil seals

I'll be searching for a new oil pump this week, as the scoring in here won't help lubricate the new motor.