UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 696, but not my first Monster

Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Snips

696, but not my first Monster

Hi all,

Just introducing myself on this site.

I'm about to take delivery of a red 696+, should have it next weekend [9th May].

However, this won't be my first Monster. I lived in San Francisco for a couple of years (04->06) and got into biking in the California weather and culture. I had a 620 there as my first proper bike.

Now I'm back in the UK, I've got my UK licence, and am looking forward to getting back on a Monster.

My biking is for pleasure, rather than a daily commute.

Though the 696 is still the entry level Monster, it does have nearly a third more power (62 BHP -> 78 BHP) so I'm hoping to enjoy the difference.

By the way, I'm based in Newmarket, Suffolk.

Cheers,
Nige
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
welcome and enjoy the new breed.Jealous in a way. But would need a 1100.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
damon

Yep, 1100 AND another few inch on ride height. At 6ft 3 they feel a tad small for me, it looked like a toy when i got on one the other day......but still envious in a way bud. Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
squiffything

welcome nige glad to see you found the site. when you get the bike we'll have to meet up and give it a run I'm just down the road . There's a wealth of knowledge and a good sense of humour on here so hopefully you'll enjoy yourself. Are you a brit returned home or a lost american over here with the Airforce lads
Old 03-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome and a good choice of bike, rode one last week, excellent fun!

Ped
Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffything View Post
welcome nige glad to see you found the site. when you get the bike we'll have to meet up and give it a run I'm just down the road . There's a wealth of knowledge and a good sense of humour on here so hopefully you'll enjoy yourself. Are you a brit returned home or a lost american over here with the Airforce lads
Cool, I'm definitely a Brit, who was drawn over to Silicon Valley for a couple of years.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm only 5' 6", so the ride height is fine for me.

Thanks for the comments, if biking works for me over here (weather, roads etc) then I'll probably trade up to a bigger engined bike when they're launched next year (speculation on my part, but seems inevitable).

A bigger engine certainly appeals over the 620 I had, and there's no substitute for a dry clutch, so there's some envy back.

That said, maybe 80 BHP will be enough for me in the real world.

Let's all enjoy what we have
Old 03-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
desmo

696?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post

I'm about to take delivery of a red 696+, should have it next weekend [9th May].
Hi
My Mrs has had one on order since Dec, our local dealer still has no idea when they are going to arrive in stock, have you been given a definate delivery date? has your dealer received their stock bikes?
Just wondering as my Mrs is moaning like hell to me & our dealer cos she wants her bike!!!

Desmo.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Half Man Half Mole

Quote:
Let's all enjoy what we have
Sage words. Welcome to the site.

Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo View Post
Hi
My Mrs has had one on order since Dec, our local dealer still has no idea when they are going to arrive in stock, have you been given a definate delivery date? has your dealer received their stock bikes?
Just wondering as my Mrs is moaning like hell to me & our dealer cos she wants her bike!!!

Desmo.
Ouch!

The dealer has two in - the demo bike and the one I'm buying (the original buyer fell ill and isn't ready to collect so wanted to go back on the list, I think the dealer may have already sold one too, so he maybe took delivery of three?)

When I placed my order last weekend, he said he'd contact Ducati and get me a place in the queue - a firm order would get earlier delivery rather than just getting 'stock'. He expected this to be in May.

As it happens, I got the one from the buyer who wanted to go back on the list.

The registration paperwork is going through, so I hope to collect next weekend.

You want to get on to your dealer and give him a wake up call.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
desmo

Angry Oooh me ears

Quote:
Ouch!

The dealer has two in - the demo bike and the one I'm buying I think the dealer may have already sold one too, so he maybe took delivery of three?)

Oops.
She has just read your posting, she is ranting now, who taught her all those swear words.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Duncan

Desmo

I take it your buying from Riders Ducati Bristol.
Their stock situation last week was a demo bike and another 696 which they borrowed from Ducati Europe to display at the Bristol Italia Moto last weekend. That bike had to go back as it was a press / display model.

Ducati are however in full swing wih production and some models are arriving earlier than planned so it will be very soon.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
bertieflea

apparently red 696+'s are the first to come, all others, black, white and naked will be later in the year!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Snips,

Congrats on the new bike & welcome to UKMOC

If the bike does arrive on time it'll be great to see you at Arrow Mill for the clubs weekender - especially the Sunday rideout. I'm sure the 696 will be surrounded as soon as it parks up
Old 04-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
sadbiker

Your going to like it. My other hald took one out on Saturday.

She has a had 620sie from new (02), she felt the new one was a lot more smoother on acceleration, dropped into bends easier, didn't baulk at poor road surfaces. She even said it caught her out and how her feet touched the ground easier than her own.

Only points she wasn't to sure on was the brakes. She felt her 6 year old ones were more responsive. But we always said that the brakes on her 620 were far better than any other brakes we have come across, we suspect that the 696 may be just a little later coming in but would expect them to be good if needed in anger. She was even offered a deal on her own, but she wants to take another 696 out, She is of the feeling that she has had a good 6 years with her 620 and it's been so reliable does she need to change? Lets see what another test ride will do.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Hi Snips from Norfolk.

Often getting together with Suffolk and Cambridgeshire so hopefully see you around.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote