UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Best Disc Lock?

Old 10-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Jam911

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Best Disc Lock?

I think I may need to beef up my bikes security and thought about a disc lock....what do you guys use please?
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Not used one but bennetts tested the round lock dumbbell style. They were very impressed, very difficult to attack they said.

Look up bennetts bike social on youtube. They have lots of ‘tested to destruction’ security vids. You’ll get good pointers from there.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Some usefull info here

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...cycle-security

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
slob

we used to see a lot of this on recovered bikes when i was working in a shop in north london :-(
i went with a pair of tiny, cheap oxford locks, one on each wheel. it’s only ever a deterrent.

edit: the ‘mushroom’ in the link above one looks great if it fits between the caliper mounts, as cutting the disc still won’t let the bike roll.

Last edited by slob; 11-03-2022 at 11:01 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Always steered clear of disc locks, I've heard of far more people who have damaged their bikes trying to ride off with a disc lock fitted than I have thefts being prevented by one.

My own order of preference:

1) Keep the bike out of sight
2) If not out of sight, then a full bike cover on it
3) Chain it to Mother Earth, or to another bike, with a good strong lock and chain.

My view is that anything else is ineffective and not worth the time and expense. Of course, it's only my view, and I live in a quiet rural area with low crime ...
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
Luddite

I agree with Rob - a disc lock should only ever be considered as secondary security at best and used in conjunction with something more serious.

I've got a couple of Kryptonite U-locks and a Xena alarmed disc lock. The alarm is really piercing and, while I don't kid myself that it would stop a determined thief, it does mean that I won't accidentally ride off with the lock still attached.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

OF they want to steal your bike these days they'll come tooled up anyway. They cut through my HD Oxford chain and had my old Beemer daily hack away no problem. I had to laugh because it was recovered after the thief had taken the time and repainted it, given it a false reg and had been riding around on it but had run out of petrol. The low fuel light never worked and the locked petrol cap obviously defeated him.

The more professional gang willl have it away in no time.

Neighnourhood watch have reported to me recently of a masked gang in a BMW car that spotted a KTM parked up, car stopped and then stole the bike within minutes, all on cctv.

There were a couple of scooters taken too but these were later found in local fields so there are obviously levels of thievery at foot. I don't think you can do anything but deter the most well organized professional bunch, they won't be riding around on it waiting to get found out, it'll be gone, gone probably into Europe somewhere or broken for spares before you can blink.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #8
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Whatever disc lock you opt for, don’t forget to use it in conjunction with one of those curly cable jobbies from lock to clutch or front brake lever. They are essential IMHO.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
slob

the ‘wally wire’, i have bent a rear disc in the past.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #10
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
I’ve been using a Roadlok for a few years without problems. You can’t damage the disk if you momentarily forget it’s locked. You only have to carry the pin when on the bike. It’s more for peace of mind when it’s occasionally left briefly unattended on a ride out.
http://roadlok.com/

Last edited by damien666; 11-03-2022 at 05:58 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #11
iainw

Bike: S4r
I have one of these, it has a built in alarm.
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor...2mm_chainlock/
iainw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:45 PM   #12
Tipusss

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainw View Post
I have one of these, it has a built in alarm.
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor...2mm_chainlock/
I've been using this one for years too. However lately I've been lazy with the chain and only use the lock that can act as a disk lock. I have, however, strated using a cover from Oxford, the medium size works for our bikes. Again, I only use the lock and cover when I'm out riding as my bike sleeps in my garage, not sure how people sleep at night with their bikes on the streets, even if chained...

I also have one of the small locks that Bennet's Social recommended, but find that I don't use it for the fear of rolling off with it still on and damaging the disk.
Tipusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #13
madmac

Bike: M821
I've got the Oxford Nemesis: https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor...c_lock_yellow/

It's 16mm thick and the chunkiest lock I could fine and just about goes through the rotor holes. One of the thickest locks you can buy I think.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Will still take the well tooled thief the same amount of time to cut your disk with an angle grinder!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote