UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Termis and Insurance

Old 12-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
judge148

Termis and Insurance

Quick question

On average, how much extra do you pay on insurance when you fit a set of Termis to a monster ?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Captain Caveman

quick answer

nothing, but the insurer would only pay for standard pipes in the event of a claim.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Arbeia

yep you wont be able to insure them unless they are road legal. Otherwise, dont tell them.
Old 13-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
May not affect your premium much, but your excess is likely to go up a bit in case they get damaged in a spill. As long as you mention them to your insurance company they will be covered in the event of a claim.
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Arbeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_uk View Post
May not affect your premium much, but your excess is likely to go up a bit in case they get damaged in a spill. As long as you mention them to your insurance company they will be covered in the event of a claim.
my insurance company said if the cans dont have an eu stamp on them saying they are road legal then they wont insure.
Old 13-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Scootaboy

do you need to tell the insurance if you get the road legal ones?
Old 13-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
I’m no expert, but thought that having cans on without declaring them would not just mean that the cans were not covered, but that your insurance was invalid?!

Insurers will try anything to get out of a claim, and it’s easy for them to say “we insured a standard bike, not a modified one” . Technically, they’re classed as a performance upgrade…
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Arbeia

You can put them on but if you damage them the insurance wont cover the expensive cans.
When my old 696 was written off i just changed back to standard cans before the engineer from insurance looked at it. Simples
Old 14-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbeia View Post
my insurance company said if the cans dont have an eu stamp on them saying they are road legal then they wont insure.
That sounds about right - my termis's are EU stamped but don't have the baffles in. When I had a spill a while back my insurance company paid out without any hassle. I'm with ebike and have found them to be excellent.
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote