UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Confused of Aylsham

Old 27-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Confused of Aylsham

I've just put a pair of ExactRep belts in my M1000Sie motor. The Cycle Works tutorial video shows the tension being set (they recommend 99hz, up to 110 Hz,) on the short run of the belt, that is between the fixed roller and the driving pulley. This Forum suggests (on the 1100 belts thread) that the tension should be set on the long run of the belt, i.e. between the fixed roller and the camshaft pulley. As there is a fairly hefty difference in the readings from the two methods, I need to bottom out where 99 Hz reading should apply, any help gratefully received - I'm using the Pano tuner app, by the way.
Old 27-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
The longest run. Not the shortest.110-115 new belts. Pre used taken off belts for servicing removved etc 90-95. That's with pano tuner
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I don't have a workshop manual for your model but this is an extract from the one for the S2R 1000, which, I believe, has essentially the same DS motor. You can see that it recommends checking between the drive pulley and fixed roller on the vertical and between the drive pulley and tensioner roller on the horizontal.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Or the most accessible long run I will also say depends on frame in way.
Old 27-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I always used exact fit belts on my s4r, and found the 'gates carbon app' was great for measuring the belt tension, I borrowed the genuine Ducati device for measuring belt tension and it was identical to the gates app on y phone to within a couple of hertz
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #6
dacs

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. My numbers are very close to Albie's and my belts satisfy the 45 degree twist test so I'm happy to go with them - the engine fired up without throwing or breaking a belt so that's a good start. I will admit I glossed over that page in the manual on the basis that I didn't have the Ducati test equipment - that's a very peculiar diagram of the belts as well, given that the proportions are all wrong. I have tried the Gates app but couldn't get it to work on my phone, so I'll go with the the Pano offering.
Once again, thanks for filling in a few gaps in my understanding on the subject, love this forum.
Old 27-06-2022, 11:52 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacs View Post
I have tried the Gates app but couldn't get it to work on my phone, so I'll go with the the Pano offering.
Consider using an external mic rather than the one built-in to your phone and make sure you eliminate all background noise, (including florescent lights), before taking a reading.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59051
Old 28-06-2022, 06:44 AM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
If you do a little rebuild on your workshop or mancave so that it's more like >>THIS<< then you won't have any problems
Old 28-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #9
dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Consider using an external mic rather than the one built-in to your phone and make sure you eliminate all background noise, (including florescent lights), before taking a reading.
Thanks, I used an external mic, nice quiet day and non-florescent lighting, but good points.

Nickj, not sure if you are suggesting sound deadening or a padded cell - if it's the sound deadening, I could go for that but there would be no room left in my garage space for me (or the Monster). No comment on the other option
Old 28-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

No you do need to have relatively good quiet. At work it's in the arches. A train is very noisy rumble. There is of course a tolerance so dont be too worried.
Old 28-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The problem really is that the mics used in phones are selected to be omnidirection and have a limited (relatively) dynamic range that does work best for normal vocal ranges, also you can talk to the phone rather than to a tiny hole on it.
A directional mic would be better at 'ignoring' more ambient noise, probably £20+ for a working bottom entry level one.

Padded cell would work but they'd probably not let you have the tools incase you hurt yourself
Old 28-06-2022, 08:15 PM   #12
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
A directional mic would be better at 'ignoring' more ambient noise, probably £20+ for a working bottom entry level one.
I'm tight so I got a cheapy £5 one off eBay, which seems to work perfectly well. Of course, if you can run to the £1,000+ for the genuine DDS diagnostic tool, then background noise isn't a problem as it reads the tension using infrared rather than sound waves.
Old 28-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #13
Nasher

I've given up using my phone having tried several different Apps and mics.

I now use my laptop with a small microphone and the belt tuning part of JPdiag.
It's so much easier to get consistent results with.