UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 1993 M900 Cylinder Head Removal Advice

Old 20-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
Ross090

1993 M900 Cylinder Head Removal Advice

Hi All,

I'm looking to get my cylinder head barrels vapour blasted sometime soon, which means I'll be removing the heads. I haven't done this on a Ducati before so I don't have the tools for the job right now, can anyone recommend a good tool for removing the cylinder head nuts?

I'm also a bit unsure of which head gaskets to use, as Stein Dinse list 0.3 and 0.4mm base gaskets for the 1993 M900. Can anyone tell me which one is correct? And am I correct in thinking that there is no gasket between the upper and lower barrel, just o-rings? With the only metal gasket being between the crankcase and the lower barrel?

Thank you in advance.
Old 20-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Confused??

Old 20-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Getting the nuts off is no problem, any ring spanner should do the job, torquing them up again requires a little more ingenuity. Try a torque adaptor from GB Motorcycle products. Double check the size of the nuts, it varies between models.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
slob

3 o-rings in one head, 2 in the other. No head gaskets.

You'd need to measure the squish to determine which thickness base gasket was ideal for your bike
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Kato
Dismantled

Richmond it says on your signature if that Surrey and not Yorkshire then you are just on the other side of the river from me I can lend you the tools needed

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

There is a special tool for this. But maybe you can use a Crows foot spanner with a ratchet and extension bar? I'm sure someone will be able comment further on this.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Ross090

Thanks guys, I was trying to make sense of the diagrams on Stein Dinse so that explains it a bit more. I've seen a special tool by Laser but it's quite pricey. If I can do the job with a ring spanner and crows foot spanner that sounds like the better option. I'll check out the torque adapter too, thanks Slob.

Anyone have the cylinder head studs break on these engines? Is it worth changing them over when everything is apart? I'm pretty sure they have never been changed.

Thanks Kato, but it's the Richmond in North Yorkshire...and the job is one for the coming months as I'll be taking the bike overseas shortly. I was just trying to get prepared for it, as Stein Dinse are so convenient.

I'm just a bit unsure of what to do about the gasket now, might have to buy a few of each!

Cheers
Old 20-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
Kato
Dismantled

When you dismantle the motor measure the base gaskets you take off then you will know which ones if you need to replace them, having said that they rarely if ever wear out so you should be able to use the one you already have

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

IIRC there is a way to tell if they are the later studs. Some were a different colour and I think may have had something stamped onto the end 'M'? If it's an early bike and not had them changed then it certainly worth considering I would say.They did fit them to the the later bikes but not sure when.

Had one on my '94 900SS go and it's a pain. The Baines Racing ones are waisted in the centre to allow for some more stretch so you can see when the barrels are off, but I'm not sure if the Ducati ones do.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
the lodger

Bike: M900
Black studs are the replacements for the original shiny stainless steel ( ? ) studs which had a habit of breaking.
Old 20-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
IIRC there is a way to tell if they are the later studs. Some were a different colour and I think may have had something stamped onto the end 'M'? If it's an early bike and not had them changed then it certainly worth considering I would say.They did fit them to the the later bikes but not sure when.

Had one on my '94 900SS go and it's a pain. The Baines Racing ones are waisted in the centre to allow for some more stretch so you can see when the barrels are off, but I'm not sure if the Ducati ones do.
Don't know when they were changed but my engine is date stamped '95 and has black studs and I have no reason to suspect they are not original as I don't think the engine had been apart before I got hold of it.

As for the base gaskets, they are really just shims and don't seal anything (use threebond for that) so unless they break or are too rusty etc. then you can re-use them. Otherwise measure them, I actually used a 0.4mm on one and a 0.3mm on the other to fettle the squish but you can't go wrong by using the same as before...

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 20-07-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #12
Ross090

Thanks everyone. I think I'll order parts when the engine has been pulled apart, hopefully gaskets and studs are something the local Ducati dealer will keep stock of (if I even need them).

Dukedesmo did you use any special tools?
Old 20-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #13
Davy

Isn’t there a letter stamped on the ends of the studs to determine which you have, I’ll have a look at a few I’ve replaced to see which is which
Old 21-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross090 View Post

Dukedesmo did you use any special tools?
There are a few required, particularly to remove the alternator side cover and to torque the head studs but both can be bought at reasonable money or even made.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
Ross090

Thanks everyone, I'll organise the spares and tools. Sounds like it'll be an interesting job at least!