UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Tapping Noise after warming up

Old 07-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
seanodwyer

Tapping Noise after warming up

Hi guys,

Just bought a 2016 Monster 821 with very low mileage. Just noticed a strange tapping noise which only happens after the bike has warmed up. Reminds me very much of the noise my old bmw injectors used to make. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
My Valves tap a little...The mechanic i use say's it's fine the old 'loud valves save lives' Saying.

However mines is an air cooled 1100Evo. I wouldn't expect the same or at least not noticeable from a water cooled Monster.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I would say most likely valve clearances out ...
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
seanodwyer

There is only 400 miles on the bike, could they go out of spec so quickly?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If they were out of spec it would tap all the time, wouldn't it? Not just when warmed up.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Nickj

Bike: S2r
Oh deary deary me it sounds like your motor is going to self destruct any second!! Big suck in of air... Tell you what I'll make you a reasonable offer for it

Really doesn't sound like something in the valve train,you'd expect it to get quieter as it warmed up and the clearances close up.. So it could well be the injectors unless it's something in the heads.

Hard to tell as I have little to compare with. My air cooled is an S2R, it would be hard to hear much in the way of subtle sounds as it's so noisy to start with. Very err 'mechanical' overlaid with termis.
My water cooled 748R is equally 'loud', again tough to hear too much over the termis and clutch.

Try and localise it a bit more, the old long screwdriver resting on your ear is helpful.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
seanodwyer

Update on this. Brought it up to my local dealer who took it for a ride. He personally has owned Ducatis. Says the noise is normal. So just me being hyper sensitive :-)
Old 17-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Nickj

Bike: S2r
Difficult to judge these things isn't it, the more you listen for it the more you hear it and suddenly it's got to be really loud.
Even more difficult if you listen to the majority of Japanese bikes which are completely different in terms of engine noise.