UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 620ie Fuel Filter Replacement

Old 31-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
620ie Fuel Filter Replacement

One of the jobs I did on my 620 this winter was to replace the fuel filter. I knew it'd been done once before during the bike's lifetime as there's a receipt for it in the bumpf that I got with the bike, however it's one of those things that would plague me if I didn't know it'd been done, so I bough the part - a Ducati filter, which has the little tab on to screw it to the fuel pump - part no. 42540101A. At 24 quid delivered, it was a bit dearer than a cheapy inline thing that I usually put on (albeit) older bikes I've owned.

Firstly, I got the tank off by disconnecting the hoses and the multiplug to the fuel pump. I noted that there's a "2006" sticker on the tank, so assume that this was done as a recall as the bike is a 2004. I then drained tank, which was a pain without a pump - I'll buy one next time.

Once I'd got it drained, the bottom section then unscrews with some hex bolts - there's a big o-ring behind the plate which was ok on mine, but it may be something that needs replaced.

Out comes the fuel pump and filter in a one-er. The filter then unscrews at either end, mine's had replacement jubilee clips, but the originals are different. Luddite sent me some original clips as replacements.

The filter came off easy, I then had a look inside to see what ~6,000 miles of fuel dirt looked like and can confirm... not much tbh. The stuff on it is from hacksawing it in two.

To reassemble, I cleaned the o-ring and the trough and the mating surface.

Then put it back in and tightened up the bolts using a star-shaped pattern to spread the load.

After that, tank back on, plugged back in and fuel back in (no leaks!).

This was one of the jobs that I did before MOT last week, happily the bike flew through!
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I was just wondering if you'd done this job, Sam, when I came across another one of those clips this morning when rummaging through my box of fasteners.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I was just wondering if you'd done this job, Sam, when I came across another one of those clips this morning when rummaging through my box of fasteners.
It was done weeks ago - I then got caught up fitting a new sink in the kitchen... then doing a new fireplace in the living room... before finally getting the MOT done in time (hopefully) for a decent Easter weekend, well at least the first two days anyway.
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote