UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Biker wave.

Old 20-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Biker wave.

Just reading another forum where "Ductwati" riders came in for a pasting for not waving or nodding to other bikers. When I started riding everyone waved, so I still do although a lot just nod now the only exception I have found is hardly Parkinson riders and GS riders (and I have a beemer). What are your thoughts on the wave (or nod)?
Old 20-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
I nod to most motorbikes, the exception would be HD riders( most are ignorant to the friendly nod) and BMW riders, who again don't nod back. The oddity to me, is, I have a BMW gs for two up riding!
Old 20-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I think the 'nod' is one of the more expensive lifestyle items available through your local HD dealer.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
It's easy to look back through rose tinted glasses but I think over the last maybe ten or so years a lot of the camaraderie has gone out of biking.

I still wave or nod to most bikes but then find myself getting annoyed when it is not returned- the onset of grumpy old man syndrome perhaps.

A fair number of people still chat when I park up but it's usually the bike they ask about rather than small talk about motorcycling generally.

It is almost the opposite here to the rest of Europe where they almost go out their way to wave which is obviously a little easier as bikes pass left side to left side meaning the left hand can leave the bars to do so.

I've even had French Police come past me riding their FJ1300's giving a leg out greeting.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
Darkness

Bike: M900
Last time I broke down (No petrol), the two people who stopped were a Vincent rider with tools, and a MX rider in a pickup with petrol. Most “bikers” just rode on by.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Alfa drivers wave at one another.. First time it happened to me I said "Oh! I just had an Alpha wave.."
Old 21-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
The motorway wave is the hardest to gauge, both riders doing 80-90 means an approach speed of 160+ mph, you have a split second to react!

I'm all for a nod or a wave (quick flash of the lights at high speed). Up here in Scotland even plod gives you a nod now and again..........GS riders on the other hand

Edit - just wondering, do GS riders only nod to other GS riders?

Last edited by alan s4; 21-08-2018 at 08:09 AM..
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
uncle duke

Bike: S2r 1000
Bikers can be a strange bunch..if i'm on my monster most give a nod or wave except harley riders or bmw gs types but if i'm on my old triumph sports bike riders ignore me & if i'm on my harley ,harleys riders wave & nod but most others don't....but i'm just the same person...
uncle duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
Luxexterior

I usually nod at everything on two wheels heading towards me. Harley riders, BMW GS riders almost never respond & Triumph cruiser riders are almost as bad.

I overtook a Harley rider recently while out on my old Guzzi, he was usual stereotype p**s pot helmet, cut off & tee shirt etc, riding a bike with ludicrous handlebars . He responded with the one finger salute which I thought was a bit much! I responded in kind confident that even on my ancient Guzzi he was unlikely to catch up.

As for Alfa drivers, years back when I had my first Alfa I was shocked the first time I met another one on the road when the driver flashed his headlights & waved, previously I had only experienced this kind of thing on bikes. it turned out to be the norm for years. Sadly in my part of the world at least this no longer happens. Probably something to do with them becoming increasingly popular.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
To nod or not to nod - that is the question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxexterior View Post
I usually nod at everything on two wheels heading towards me. Harley riders, BMW GS riders almost never respond & Triumph cruiser riders are almost as bad.

I overtook a Harley rider recently while out on my old Guzzi, he was usual stereotype p**s pot helmet, cut off & tee shirt etc, riding a bike with ludicrous handlebars . He responded with the one finger salute which I thought was a bit much! I responded in kind confident that even on my ancient Guzzi he was unlikely to catch up.

As for Alfa drivers, years back when I had my first Alfa I was shocked the first time I met another one on the road when the driver flashed his headlights & waved, previously I had only experienced this kind of thing on bikes. it turned out to be the norm for years. Sadly in my part of the world at least this no longer happens. Probably something to do with them becoming increasingly popular.
Pretty much the same as you, a nod to everything on two wheels, most of the time getting a return nod. Youngsters with "L" plates nearly always respond - if I'm riding my Multistrada then GS riders acknowledge most of the time.

I've owned two air cooled VW campers, always got a wave from other folk driving the same.

Will always check if it looks as if a bike has broken down too.

Martin
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I always stop if I see a bike in trouble but most are just on a fag break or back break. The last time I broke down nobody stopped for three hours, the only ones who did were people who saw me earlier and thought I was on a fag break, took me five hours to get home after the RAC finally got to me.
Old 21-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Just reading another forum where "Ductwati" riders came in for a pasting for not waving or nodding to other bikers. When I started riding everyone waved, so I still do although a lot just nod now the only exception I have found is hardly Parkinson riders and GS riders (and I have a beemer). What are your thoughts on the wave (or nod)?
I am a nodder for sure, strangely though no nodding in the IoM, too many bikes there this week I think although did gate a couple of waves.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
Miky

Try riding in London and nodding politely at every biker, you will end up looking like a thunderbird!