UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Clutch Springs - Reinstalling

Old 06-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
deanyoungblood

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Clutch Springs - Reinstalling

Replaced my pressure plate and springs/caps at the weekend.

Pretty simple job, all went fine until it came to spring tightness.

My torque wrench starts at 10nm and the other at 80nm so neither applicable for the job, which various loads suggests is 5-6nm.

Lots of comments suggests tighten until the screw seats or bottoms. Now I consider myself mildly intelligent but can’t for the life of me understand what this actually means?

If I gently nip, they’re too close to the billet clutch cover and will no doubt break. Too tight and I’m concerned something might snap.

Welcome any simple explanations or tightness!

In addition, I can’t really measure spring length when compressed as the pressure plate is mildly domed so it’s hard to get a read!
deanyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:58 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You're over thinking it.
Keep your torque wrenches in their boxes.
Just keep turning till they come to a stop. Don't tighten any more once they stop. They're held by the springs so they won't come undone.
Try and do them fairly evenly if you can, opposites will do.
No need to measure the compressed length, it's pre set. You could check the free length, but if they are all the same length and close to the originals, all is fine.
Once assembled check that you can get the clutch lever back to the bar, that will tell you they are not coil bound.

You do need to line up an arrow on the pressure plate with the slotted spring post, but nobody knows why.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:42 PM   #3
deanyoungblood

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
You're over thinking it.
Keep your torque wrenches in their boxes.
Just keep turning till they come to a stop. Don't tighten any more once they stop. They're held by the springs so they won't come undone.
Try and do them fairly evenly if you can, opposites will do.
No need to measure the compressed length, it's pre set. You could check the free length, but if they are all the same length and close to the originals, all is fine.
Once assembled check that you can get the clutch lever back to the bar, that will tell you they are not coil bound.

You do need to line up an arrow on the pressure plate with the slotted spring post, but nobody knows why.
I spotted the Nick in the pressure plate after brazenly fitting it back together and then querying why it was there. I’ve matched it up, unsure of relevance.

Ok I’ll wind in until they stop, just felt like getting quite compressed.
deanyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote